BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

05-22-2023, 01:45 AM   #1
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Dissapointed again. G8x short review.

About a year ago I was going to replace my RS3 with a G80 M3. After driving one with the 8AT I was left quite disappointed and I decided NOT to place an order. I really question the reviews online and in publications afterward, I was really expecting a great driving experience from all the hype but the car was quite the letdown.

Had another chance to drive a G82 the other day, but this time it was a 6MT and I was hoping the manual will redeem it a bit. Unfortunately, I was wrong, just as underwhelming as I remembered.

I even feel the F80 generation was more exciting to drive, the S55 sounded bad but at least it had character and the power delivery was manic and exciting. The S58, at least from the inside doesn't sound horrible but it's a very uninspiring engine note, not offensive but has no real character either. The car felt lazy around town, I tried it in the most aggressive drive settings too. I felt that BMW tried to tune this car to be more linear, and more naturally aspirated feeling but went a bit overboard, it felt borderline slow around town. The throttle response was mediocre, almost felt like bad turbo lag. While it pulled nice in the upper revs, most of the powerband felt just really meh, and combined with the engine/exhaust note, it wasn't an enjoyable driving experience.

Wasn't all bad though, the steering rack felt good for electric, on par with other good modern BMW racks like in the F87 M2 but the feel was a bit muted as expected. The car is BIG in person but drives like a smaller car. The carbon bucket seats look amazing and feel great but become uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes. Traction was greatly improved, it didn't feel like the car was going to kill you but then it's also less exciting because of that. The car got a lot of attention, probably in part because of the color, also it's still hideous in person.

Conclusion: It was such a breath of fresh air getting back into my E92 M3 afterward. I got goosebumps once I started up my car to leave work, it just solidified my opinion that BMW will never make a car this amazing ever again. The G8x is a numbers car, seemed like it was built with appeasing the masses in mind, void of the thrills and theatrics the E9x M3 delivers. The E9x will be the last generation M3 I'll ever own, it just can't get better than this.

Last edited by DanMpower; 11-15-2023 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2023, 06:03 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

how many miles on that car? and why does the driver seat look like shit already

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 2
PYE46M3855.00
      05-22-2023, 11:32 AM   #3
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post
About a year ago I was going to replace my RS3 with a G80 M3. After driving one with the 8AT I was left quite disappointed and I decided NOT to place an order. I really question the reviews online and in publications afterward, I was really expecting a great driving experience from all the hype but the car was quite the letdown.

Had another chance to drive a G82 the other day, but this time it was a 6MT and I was hoping the manual will redeem it a bit. Unfortunately, I was wrong, just as underwhelming as I remembered.

I even feel the F80 generation was more exciting to drive, the S55 sounded bad but at least it had character and the power delivery was manic and exciting. The S58, at least from the inside doesn't sound horrible but it's a very uninspiring engine note, not offensive but has no real character either. The car just felt lazy around town, I tried it in the most aggressive drive settings too. I felt that BMW tried to tune this car to be more linear, and more naturally aspirated feeling but went a bit overboard, it felt borderline slow around town. The throttle response was mediocre, almost felt like bad turbo lag. While it pulled nice in the upper revs, most of the powerband felt just really meh, and combined with the engine/exhaust note, it wasn't an enjoyable driving experience.

Wasn't all bad though, the steering rack felt good for electric, on par with other good modern BMW racks like in the F87 M2 but the feel was a bit muted as expected. The car is BIG in person but drives like a smaller car. The carbon bucket seats look amazing and feel great but become uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes. Traction was greatly improved, it didn't feel like the car was going to kill you but then it's also less exciting because of that. The car got a lot of attention, probably in part because of the color, also it's still hideous in person.

Conclusion: It was such a breath of fresh air getting back into my E92 M3 afterward. I got goosebumps once I started up my car to leave work, it just solidified my opinion that BMW will never make a car this amazing ever again. The G8x is a numbers car, seemed like it was built with appeasing the masses in mind, void of the thrills and theatrics the E9x M3 delivers. The E9x will be the last generation M3 I'll ever own, it just can't get better than this.

Good to know. I have a TB 6MT on order...been thinking about cancelling it.

My experience with a week-long rental of a G80 Comp xDrive, was about the same. The AT was really disappointing, especially when compared to my F80 Comp w/ tuned DCT. Was also hoping the manual would be better.

While I've been waiting (7 mos.), I went ahead and bought an '11 E90 M3 6MT. Sold my '08 in 2018 and have regretted it ever since.

I forgot how much I love N/A motors - I'm over turbo-lag!
      05-22-2023, 01:34 PM   #4
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
how many miles on that car? and why does the driver seat look like shit already
The car has only 9k miles, in person they don’t look as bad but still more wear and tear than I was expecting for the miles.

The way the seats are so aggressive and how much friction to get in and out of them, I don’t expect the carbon buckets to wear very well long term.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 03:17 PM   #5
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBF18 View Post
Good to know. I have a TB 6MT on order...been thinking about cancelling it.

My experience with a week-long rental of a G80 Comp xDrive, was about the same. The AT was really disappointing, especially when compared to my F80 Comp w/ tuned DCT. Was also hoping the manual would be better.

While I've been waiting (7 mos.), I went ahead and bought an '11 E90 M3 6MT. Sold my '08 in 2018 and have regretted it ever since.

I forgot how much I love N/A motors - I'm over turbo-lag!
Then supercharge it and have 9/10 of the G80 power but retain the N/A like power delivery!
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 1
BGBF18164.50
      05-22-2023, 05:16 PM   #6
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
I am keeping my E92 M3 6MT as my weekend car (it's never been a daily). Doubtful I'd ever sell it.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some concerns about potential buyer's remorse. I am supposed to take delivery of my G80 6MT in like, 2-3 weeks. For me the intent of the car is supposed to be as a usable daily with a warranty while still offering 4 doors, a manual and RWD. I did not order carbon buckets in mine either as it's supposed to be a daily.

If you go in to the process of owning a G8x M3 with any mindset other than either 1. build it for 1/2 mile races , or 2. daily drive - i think it's going to be sorely disappointing. I'm still happier spending my money on the G80 6MT than a Tesla.
Appreciate 2
TboneS541043.00
      05-22-2023, 06:26 PM   #7
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

I drove one a few months ago at the BMW track day event at COTA and found it pretty boring. The ZF 8 speed is boring and not as crisp as the DCT which can bang off near instant upshifts and downshifts. The ZF feels mushy in comparison. I found the steering dead/lifeless and it just sort of sounds like.. nothing. Incredible chassis thought but not very exhilarating.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 08:35 PM   #8
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
Then supercharge it and have 9/10 of the G80 power but retain the N/A like power delivery!
Good point; I may do that down the road. I’m still on the fence about cancelling the G80; could be next year before the dang thing is built anyway!
      05-22-2023, 09:10 PM   #9
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
The bulge in the middle makes it difficult to heel and toe. Can't help but feel this is an intentional design to skew buyers to the bland 8AT.
      05-22-2023, 09:54 PM   #10
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's kinda funny but every time I drive a newer M3/M4 after the E9x generation, a quote from Jeremy Clarkson always pops in my head. "Maybe the LFA is so good, not even the people who made it know how to make it again"

That quote resonates with me, not because I'm comparing the LFA to the E9x M3, but because due to emissions etc, we will never see machines like these again. It's not like they don't know how to make them again, it's because they can't.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 08:59 PM   #11
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Personally I spent too much time and $$ trying to upgrade my E9x. All said and done it took a change to a damn GT Porsche to not feel like I just messed up and went backwards.

There are better cars but my god that line to get there is 3-4 times the cost of these gems.

I agree on the newer gen M3's, they are numbers cars and lost their way a long time ago... I don't even bother with them anymore its a lost cause.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 10:22 PM   #12
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Personally I spent too much time and $$ trying to upgrade my E9x. All said and done it took a change to a damn GT Porsche to not feel like I just messed up and went backwards.

There are better cars but my god that line to get there is 3-4 times the cost of these gems.

I agree on the newer gen M3's, they are numbers cars and lost their way a long time ago... I don't even bother with them anymore its a lost cause.
💯, I think many feel this way.

I'm not ready to cross that line into Porsche GT world yet, but one day.

Felt pretty much the same about the G8x, I have no need for a daily but a 6MT might be the only way I can tolerate one.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 08:54 AM   #13
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Funny you mention the F80 - I have recently come around appreciating them more now that the G8x has been out for some time. Agree the sound sucks and they still lack in many ways compared to the E9x but the design is beautiful and the drive can still be exciting and raucous.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 07:27 PM   #14
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

F82 M4 is peak M3/M4 design. That car is just gorgeous form all angles. Just the right mix of aggression and beauty. And those hips!

Pity about the engine note and how it tries to kill you the moment you look away. Lol.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2023, 02:56 PM   #15
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
F82 M4 is peak M3/M4 design. That car is just gorgeous form all angles. Just the right mix of aggression and beauty. And those hips!

Pity about the engine note and how it tries to kill you the moment you look away. Lol.
I’m biased but IMO the e9x is the pinnacle of Bmw engineering. It’s the last of the evolution of Bmw before they started going downhill which started with the F generation. The horrible electric steering combined with the turbos they don’t even feel like a Bmw. I’ll agree that the f8x does look nice and they’re fast but they literally have nothing else going for them. Now that they’re aging people are jumping ship and coming back to the e9x.

I haven’t driven a G8x yet but the review is not surprising. While the G generation is an upgrade in every way over the F gen, I’d never own one cuz 1. I can’t afford one and 2. They’re fugly. Long live the e9x!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 03:10 PM   #16
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
I’m biased but IMO the e9x is the pinnacle of Bmw engineering. It’s the last of the evolution of Bmw before they started going downhill which started with the F generation. The horrible electric steering combined with the turbos they don’t even feel like a Bmw. I’ll agree that the f8x does look nice and they’re fast but they literally have nothing else going for them. Now that they’re aging people are jumping ship and coming back to the e9x.

I haven’t driven a G8x yet but the review is not surprising. While the G generation is an upgrade in every way over the F gen, I’d never own one cuz 1. I can’t afford one and 2. They’re fugly. Long live the e9x!
After driving most generations of M3s besides the E30, I agree wholeheartedly.

Owned an F80 for nearly two years, it was a BEAUTIFUL car but it just doesn't compare to the E9x overall. The E9x M3 feels special on a whole different level. If I win the lottery tomorrow and am able to buy all my dream cars, the E92 will be the only M3 in my collection.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2023, 04:56 PM   #17
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

The new M3/M4 look terrible in person and in photos. The new M2 also looks bad in photos but I saw one on the highway the other day and it did not look as bad to be honest. It had the widest most amazing fenders with beautiful wheels wrapped in fat tires. The rear taillights are terrible and the worst thing about the car. I can tolerate the front end and the rest of the car seems way more appealing and proportionate compared to the new M3/M4. It is a little too squared out overall but I think it will grow on me. I wonder if the driving experience is any different. In my mind the M2 is a no brainer over the M3/M4. Looks better and still more compact. And whats up with BMW being cheap and not including nicer calipers in the rear anymore?

with a drop and some spacers it would look great.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 05:03 PM   #18
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
The new M3/M4 look terrible in person and in photos. The new M2 also looks bad in photos but I saw one on the highway the other day and it did not look as bad to be honest. It had the widest most amazing fenders with beautiful wheels wrapped in fat tires. The rear taillights are terrible and the worst thing about the car. I can tolerate the front end and the rest of the car seems way more appealing and proportionate compared to the new M3/M4. It is a little too squared out overall but I think it will grow on me. I wonder if the driving experience is any different. In my mind the M2 is a no brainer over the M3/M4. Looks better and still more compact. And whats up with BMW being cheap and not including nicer calipers in the rear anymore?

with a drop and some spacers it would look great.

Had a similar thought when I saw a new M2 in person. In photos, it was a horrible-looking LEGO car. In person, it wasn't bad, still not my favorite design but definitely more appealing to me over the G8x M3/M4. I can definitely see it growing on me.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 05:14 PM   #19
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Had a similar thought when I saw a new M2 in person. In photos, it was a horrible-looking LEGO car. In person, it wasn't bad, still not my favorite design but definitely more appealing to me over the G8x M3/M4. I can definitely see it growing on me.
Lego car indeed ! and yeah me too ! the price point is not that bad either. Certainly not as beautiful as your MR E92 but overall same size. I could see myself picking one up to daily if the LCI looks better.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 12:31 PM   #20
MugenNeuspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 M3

Get a Porsche gt3 and you will say otherwise. Yes it's double the price, but it seems you are looking for that dynamic drive style
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 01:48 PM   #21
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenNeuspeed View Post
Get a Porsche gt3 and you will say otherwise. Yes it's double the price, but it seems you are looking for that dynamic drive style
GT3 would be the natural progression if I can afford one. Unfortunately that won’t be for a while!
Appreciate 1
zcp31294.50
      06-23-2023, 09:31 AM   #22
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
GT3 would be the natural progression if I can afford one. Unfortunately that won’t be for a while!

Or a 718 GT4 will not disappoint either. If you're looking for next level this is the path, but yes you have to pay to play.

E92 is the sweet spot for me in the M3 anything after is an L. From there for me after buying my Gt4 its a whole new world and whats great about the M3 is it cant compete with some of these next level cars, it doesn't have to, it is just fun and has a personality.

Last edited by neilum; 06-23-2023 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
jiggz2141.00