BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

07-02-2023, 04:21 AM   #1
Kajiura
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Recently switched from C63 to 92M3. (I also rode the 92M3 before the 63) There is one thing I really want to ask everyone. Compared to the C63, the M3 is very sensitive to handling and heavy, which stimulates my propensity. However, the C63 had a lot of play in the steering wheel, and it felt like I had to add an extra steering angle. ① What is this difference, the difference in the handle gear ratio? ②Is this something only M3 has or is it like this for all BMW cars? I probably won't go back to AMG. (But the quality of AMG was great, it wasn't my preference) I would like someone who knows more about it.
Thanks for all Bimmers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DRLane3988.50
      07-02-2023, 05:16 AM   #2
chocstraw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

congrats Japanese brother

One potential benefit to heavy and sensitive steering is that it lets you know if steering has 'washed out' (the feeling of the steering lets you know when the front has lost grip)

When you drive really fast and the front end starts to push forward instead of turn, the tension in the steering wheel is gone. If you have a low steering ratio, it is harder to tell when this has happened.

The specification for this is called "steering ratio" and the M3 has one of the lowest or "fastest" steering ratios that you can buy.

A porsche GT3, most BMWs, most Mercs, many performance cars are 15-16:1. The E9x M3 and M5/M6 from this generation are 12.5:1. The new M3/M4 are 15+.

https://www.facebook.com/advandes/vi...8944261271985/

here's the best video I can find for steering ratio.

When you look at the suspension parts on various cars, the M3 and other performance cars have less rubber or soft parts that bend when you steer hard, which makes the steering feel stiffer. I'm not sure how proficient your technical English is, so I'm trying to explain this as simple as possible. Your post had very good English though, but it is hard when talking technical terminology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajiura View Post
which stimulates my propensity. (But the quality of AMG was great, it wasn't my preference)
'stimulates my propensity' could / might translate to ' excites me / makes me want it / makes me interested ' etc.

'but the quality of the AMG' could translate to ' even though the quality was good it was not my favorite car' or ' [despite / although] the quality being better, I did not like the AMG the most'.

Last edited by chocstraw; 07-02-2023 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 2
Kajiura12.00
DRLane3988.50
      07-02-2023, 05:49 AM   #3
Kajiura
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocstraw View Post
congrats Japanese brother

One potential benefit to heavy and sensitive steering is that it lets you know if steering has 'washed out' (the feeling of the steering lets you know when the front has lost grip)

When you drive really fast and the front end starts to push forward instead of turn, the tension in the steering wheel is gone. If you have a low steering ratio, it is harder to tell when this has happened.

The specification for this is called "steering ratio" and the M3 has one of the lowest or "fastest" steering ratios that you can buy.

A porsche GT3, most BMWs, most Mercs, many performance cars are 15-16:1. The E9x M3 and M5/M6 from this generation are 12.5:1. The new M3/M4 are 15+.

https://www.facebook.com/advandes/vi...8944261271985/

here's the best video I can find for steering ratio.

When you look at the suspension parts on various cars, the M3 and other performance cars have less rubber or soft parts that bend when you steer hard, which makes the steering feel stiffer. I'm not sure how proficient your technical English is, so I'm trying to explain this as simple as possible. Your post had very good English though, but it is hard when talking technical terminology.

'stimulates my propensity' could / might translate to ' excites me / makes me want it / makes me interested ' etc.

'but the quality of the AMG' could translate to ' even though the quality was good it was not my favorite car' or ' [despite / although] the quality being better, I did not like the AMG the most'.
American friend, thank you for your reply so early in the morning.
I'm sorry that I'm not good at English and it's hard to read. But you answered all my questions. I learned a lot. thanks so much!
Take care🫡
Appreciate 4
gnx759.50
akkando5864.50
chocstraw495.50