BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #1
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW

Annoying Rattle...can't find where it is coming from.

Sorry for the shitty video, tried to film while driving. Around the 15 second mark (can't hear it from computer speakers with heavy bass, seems to work better off a cellphone, as it mutes out the drone from the exhaust)

While sitting in the drivers seat, it sounds like it is coming from the center console in the back seat area, but nothing I press down on with my hands stops it from rattling.

I don't believe its the rear sun screen. I folded the seats down and could hear it, and maybe it got louder, so I'm thinking its the latch area where the seats connect???

Has anyone experienced this? Only happens when driving at like 1700-2000rpm.

Appreciate any insight.

https://streamable.com/50ukn1
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 10:05 PM   #2
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

Sounds like your interior is resonating from your exhaust, i have the same issue.

From the door pillars, to the dash, to the rear A/C vents, to the cup holders, and to the center console.

Those are the places where I rattle

Plastic age and becomes brittle.

Lift up your iDrive area, there should be 3 cables, make sure they are zip tied together.
DJiGGs92.50
      11-07-2021, 10:08 PM   #3
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richneerd View Post
Sounds like your interior is resonating from your exhaust. Mines the same.

From the door pillars, to the dash, to the rear A/C vents, to the cup holders, and to the center console.

Those are the places where I rattle

Plastic age and becomes brittle.

Lift up your iDrive area, there should be 3 cables, make sure they are zip tied together.
I'm a single hump. No idrive. But it's also from the rear. So far the front is good.

For sure when I went to a castles xpipe is when things started happening. Just trying to pinpoint where it could be rattling from the rear.

Thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 10:52 PM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richneerd View Post
Sounds like your interior is resonating from your exhaust, i have the same issue.
Ditto. Get under the car and shake the exhaust around and make sure it's not touching the heat shields anywhere.
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50
      11-07-2021, 11:58 PM   #5
asma123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 5G 4Runner, 9G Civic

Just saw this on YouTube
It sounds very similar to yours. The guy said in the comments it was a heat shield
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50
      11-08-2021, 09:15 AM   #6
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Wow actually now that you say that I know what it might be (before I have the chance to look at it)

My driver side exhaust hanger "broke" when I was trying to remove the stock xpipe as the connection piece to my exhaust impossible to remove. So temporarily while I was waiting for a new hanger to come in I used some steel zip straps to even out the exhaust since it was slightly lower the one end. Probably what's causing it… I hope

Thank you for looking to in it!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 11:33 PM   #7
jayzbird
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Porsche sells a cd with various low frequency tones to vibrate the interior to isolate rattles. No idea how well it works but an interesting concept. You could probably download or roll your own version to save the 20 bucks.
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50
      11-24-2021, 06:55 PM   #8
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzbird View Post
Porsche sells a cd with various low frequency tones to vibrate the interior to isolate rattles. No idea how well it works but an interesting concept. You could probably download or roll your own version to save the 20 bucks.
Funny you say that. The other day I had a phone call and the frequency when the person would speak would rattle something in the car. But I can put on any music from the Aux cord at any level of sound and no vibration whatsoever.

Had my dad sit in back passenger seat when I gave him and my mom a ride one day and the rattle stopped. So most likely it's somewhere in that seat area and not that exhaust/heat shield like mentioned above.

Parked it for the winter and picked up another car so I'll deal with it in the spring. Appreciate all the replies.
Appreciate 0