BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

10-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
thompps
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Limited Edition 500

CIC/Combox expert needed! iPhone 5 in M3

Hi All, I'm completely new to the world of BMW I have been reading MANY posts from many members in recent days on the baffling world of connectivity and I need some expert help. I was wondering if someone would be good enough to help with a question I have.

I have everything I want functionality wise in the car through USB iPod connection/ extended bluetooth / snap-in cradle, and I'm trying to put them all together in one solution. The cable connection to my iPhone 5 gives me the ability to chose my playlists etc along with cover art and play music through it. That's great, but I have an iPhone Connect snap-in adapter (part number 84 21 2 351 308) and want to use this to play the music in addition to the increased aerial signal.

Currently, it only charges and looking at the combox (or is it a CIC...photo attached) in my boot (2012 E92) I can see the blue connector is empty. I have purchased the cable (part 61119202749) from BMW and a base plate (6NR - 8410 9189 619) from cage911 on the forum. I'm hoping with my options in my case it actually will be as simple as changing the baseplate and running the cable.

Do you agree? There's currently no option in External Devices for the 2nd USB device (snap-in cradle), but I'm hoping this will appear once the cable is inserted, or will it need coding? I have professional media and nav, and extended bluetooth in the car.

Does anyone agree it could be this simple??

If you agree that could work, do you have any guide to running the cable through the various trim parts and removing the current base plate? I have searched and searched and cannot find anything.

I really appreciate in advance any time you give to answering my question, you're all probably pretty fed up with the amount of questions you must get in this area.

cheers, Peter

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Coding is required. I believe aside from plugging in the cradle to the Combox, you also need to connect something to the CIC headunit. I had to when I did the CIC retrofit in my old car. I also had another usb hub underneath the driver seat then from there it went up to the center console where the cradle is.

IMHO, don't do it if you have an iphone 5, it doesn't gain you much. If you have a iphone 4, then you can if you really want the music interface and video out.

Best,
John

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
thompps
Rep

Thanks for the response. You could well be right, I have read about a 4 wire cable that hoed into the back of the radio, but can't remember the details. Surprised coding is required, but even if it is, it would be very basic (in that it just needs to enable the external cradle USB port), but I guess whilst in there I could also get apps enabled!

What do you mean regarding your iPhone 5 vs 4 comment? I know the USB cable has all the functionality I want, but crucially without the aerial boost in the cradle which certainly makes a big difference to me as well as being much smarter. Kind of wish actually that I could plug the blue base plate plug into the cable from the USB socket as I have no need for that and save a bunch of other work!

Welcome more comments on my original post. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
thompps
Rep

Update to this thread. I got the baseplate today, connected that and the new blue cable from the baseplate to the combox. Sadly still no option in the External Devices menu for the iPhone, looks like coding is required after all as I'm pretty sure that all is now complete hardware wise. When I plug the combox cable in, the phone power goes off and on, pretty sure this is the combox recongising the new connection, but then the lack of code stopping it from going further. Local BMW indy is going to look at it this afternoon and the the code in, think it's 6NL for £40 + VAT. Seems reasonable after spending £265 getting the new baseplate, snap in cradle and baseplate!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

1- Snap in = BMW Apps = factory baseplate = 2 USB connections (blue and Black) at the Combox.

- There is no BMW Apps in your car. You need an enabling code (FSC) for that. Contact forum vendor BimmerTech for details and order information.

2- Connect snap-in = NBT iDrive.

- Your iDrive is CIC. Connect snap-in will not work even after loading the FSC. You need to get the Media snap-in for the CIC.

Quote:
Connect version

•Specific to NBT vehicles and support BMW APPS, these include many MY2013 SA 6NF 6NR optioned vehicles and most MY2014 SA 6NR 6NS vehicles. CIC vehicles with SA 6NR and 6NS will not support audio out with the Connect device. These will require the soon to be released Music/Media device which is expected early 2014.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
thompps
Rep

Thanks for your reply Technic, most appreciated. I don't quite understand point 1. Are you saying I should be using the Factory baseplate and not the 8410 9189 619 full connected one I bought? The new one has the additional blue connector for connecting to the combox, whereas the original factory one didn't.

Sorry for typo earlier on 6NR, I don't want Apps, I only want the functionality of 6NF to play music through the cradle.

2. This is very interesting and news to me despite all my forum lurking! And disappointing, you're basically telling me here regardless of everything else I'm doing / have done I won't be able to get music out anyway without the new part.... doh!

Now you know I only want 6NF and not 6NR, can you advise me on what I will require to play music through the cradle when it becomes available?

What do you think to my workaround idea of using the primary USB combox connection to link my new baseplate connection too? I know I would lose the primary USB port, but I'd be more than happy to as it would give me everything I want right now, and the cabling is already in place. Just would need to find a way of connecting the primary USB lead to the blue baseplate connector. Anyone you know done this?

Thanks very much for taking the time to give your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

BMW Apps is the feature that supports the snap-in as a primary USB port. The existing USB port becomes secondary.

No BMW Apps = no audio/Media functionality via snap-in. There's no way around this.

If you actually bought the new Connect snap-in then it will not work with your CIC -according to BMW. It is only applicable to the new NBT iDrive.

Now, if you want to disconnect the existing USB port and connect the baseplate to that USB connection instead then go ahead... your Connect snap-in still will not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompps View Post
Thanks for your reply Technic, most appreciated. I don't quite understand point 1. Are you saying I should be using the Factory baseplate and not the 8410 9189 619 full connected one I bought? The new one has the additional blue connector for connecting to the combox, whereas the original factory one didn't.

Sorry for typo earlier on 6NR, I don't want Apps, I only want the functionality of 6NF to play music through the cradle.

2. This is very interesting and news to me despite all my forum lurking! And disappointing, you're basically telling me here regardless of everything else I'm doing / have done I won't be able to get music out anyway without the new part.... doh!

Now you know I only want 6NF and not 6NR, can you advise me on what I will require to play music through the cradle when it becomes available?

What do you think to my workaround idea of using the primary USB combox connection to link my new baseplate connection too? I know I would lose the primary USB port, but I'd be more than happy to as it would give me everything I want right now, and the cabling is already in place. Just would need to find a way of connecting the primary USB lead to the blue baseplate connector. Anyone you know done this?

Thanks very much for taking the time to give your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
thompps
Rep

Thanks Technic, guess I'll give up then. This has been my only letdown in what is otherwise such a superb car. Just hard to believe something so well specified has such an 'arse about face' way of using their connectivity module.

So, anyone want to buy an FSB (blue) cable (part 61119202749) from BMW and a base plate (6NR - 8410 9189 619)????
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Thanks Technic, guess I'll give up then. This has been my only letdown in what is otherwise such a superb car. Just hard to believe something so well specified has such an 'arse about face' way of using their connectivity module.

So, anyone want to buy an FSB (blue) cable (part 61119202749) from BMW and a base plate (6NR - 8410 9189 619)????
I'd be interested to know what happened to your coding session?

AFAIK, it possible, but not sure if bmw has launched media snap-in for iphone 5.

AFAIK, you bought 6NF base plate and not 6NR.

It had aux-in connection out if you concentrate on the pins.
So you needed
- coding
- aux in connection made to combox (addition of wires)
- Media snap-in

And it should work. Unless your CIC is on latest firmware and you need FSC codes.

Still interested to know what was the outcome of coding?
      10-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think what Technic is saying is you to have make sure you have the right snap-in adapter.

The "Connect" version does NOT work with the CIC. YOu need the MEDIA Version, which will allow apps (like tunein, glympse, pandora, bmw, etc) as well as album arts and whatnot (same you get with the usb port, you just dont' get apps)

Just dont' get the connect version as it does not work for our CIC navigations. Get the Media one for the apps.

There are two ways to accomplish the app feature:
1. App via the USB port instead of snap-in cradle. Requires modification of the AUX port to the headunit and changing the USB console cable (black i think) to the combox (blue port). This requires you to trim the connector a lil but it will fit and it does the same thing.

2. Full snap on connector. I believe this one requires you to double check the USB hub beneath the driver seat. The usb hub has 3 connectors, one to the back of the car to the combox (should be the black connector) and one from the center console. YOu swap the center console cable to the other port (from primary to secondary). THen plug the snap-in from center console to the primary( where the old one use to be).

That's all i know abut the snap-in. I am not sure if AUX modification is required as well as I did not care for the snap-in retrofit.

Keep in mind, EITHER Method requires FSC code for the app if you're past a certain ISTA/P level. If you have a 2012, you're probably past that integration level and will definitely be required to input FSC code for BMW Apps.

Once you get the FSC code loaded, you will get audio/media functionality. FSC code for app is 400$-ish i think? Contact Patryk for FSC codes. You won't be able to get the code yourself. Patryk has to contact BMW for the code too as it's VIN specific.

[Edit] I did it the option 1 way when I had my 335i. I now remember I also had to swap the connection on the USB hub even though I didn't do the snap-in retrofit. Not sure what it means but throwing it out there for you.

If you want to do it the easy way, Patryk can sell you the entire kit with all the correct parts so you don't have to research. You can get it done.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep

Also, please refer to this post aboot the snap-in cradle. The Media version for iphone5, according to the post, is not due to be out until 2014...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/attach...6&d=1381501007

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899940

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
thompps
Rep

thanks for the responses, sorry I didn't come back to you straight away (been moving house!) I like your solutions, my kind of DIY! I had exactly the idea about changing the cables over, but decided against doing it now until the Media cradle is out for the iPhone 5. So I sold the base plate and snap-in I'd bought and am happily using the straight forward USB connection for now. So far, I've encountered little issues with phone reception causing real problems, so maybe when the cradle is out I will think twice about spending approx £600 total just to get that enhanced antenna.... just did the exhaust oem mod for £150 and boy, for a quarter of the cost it's giving me WAY more satisfaction than all that money on getting some antenna gain!! what a mod
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Fitted this in a BMW today and we used iPhone 5 media cradle.
It does not give the video out as that cradle is expected in 2014. But with custom coding it played music flawlessly.
      02-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Is FSC code needed for combox retrofit if I already have the CIC emulator (from CIC retrofit)?

Also what is the difference with the combox's medias that have a white 26 pin connector vs the black one?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #15
a13ks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325d

First of all, greetings everyone, I am new to this forum and I apologize to bring back such an old thread, but it seems to be the most complete and competent collection of knowledge that I need.

So here's the thing, I've got a 12/2009 e90 equipped with factory S6NF and S633 options. There is just a TCU unit installed, no COMBOX or MULF, so I have bluetooth for phone calls only. Now I am mostly concerned to have spotify (or whatever other media) played on my CIC so I purchased the SNAP IN Media adapter for my old iPhone 4s device. I connected the adapter and in fact nothing else but charging works.

What am I really missing? Is it just coding or I do need a combox to have media playing from my iPhone on CIC?

I have some basic understanding of NCS Expert stuff - did headlight washers on/off and other minor things.

Would appreciate any advice please.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 11:42 PM   #16
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Both USB ports can be used for music and/or apps. You can change coding values in combox for this. I use the usb in arm rest for music on a usb drive but can also plug in any iPhone and use apps. The 2nd usb goes to my media snap in adapter for iPhone videos, movies and music. Only one phone running apps can be used at a time. The connection for the phone to shark fin aerial is located by the e-brake as well as power for snap in. This is handy for having a reliable hotspot for other things like Apple TV's, Rokus and solid state PC's pushed to CIC.