BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

02-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
White_e90
Rep
Drives: 2009 m3

SOS malfunction

I have the famous sos malfunction warning light. The car is a 09 m3 with I drive

I have nothing showing up on the nav screen, I have no backup sensors, no music or sound. I bought the most adapter and tried to plug it into all the modules in the truck and still nothing. Disconnect the battery even for a day and still same thing.
I used the search bar in the forum but found nothing so had to make a post. Anyone else have this issue? Is my cic unit dead? I was hoping to avoid the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

I just had this same exact issue in my 2013 X5. The head unit died.

I bought a used head unit off ebay, and installed it myself. However, not everything worked (Navigation icon greyed out, so no navigation); the radio did work, but I could not store stations; no bluetooth; and I continued to have the sos malfunction error.

The issue is the replacement head unit had to be coded to my X5's VIN in order for all functions to work properly (it was still coded to the donor X5's VIN). I took my X5 to GT Peace in Chantilly, VA and they were able to code it.

Now all features work as they should.

Cost me $200 for the head unit and $400 to have it coded, so $600 total - compared to $2k at the dealer. Coding was that much because the head unit had to be "virginized" first which required additional coding and time.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:48 PM   #3
White_e90
Rep

Thanks so much for the help!! I’ll have to get a used cic head unit and get it coded.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I would try ISTA first and see which modules you can communicate with first.

When you put the most connector on every else was plugged in right? You cannot leave a connector off as it breaks the loop. A dead module also breaks the loop.

I would try diagnosing which module is bad before you go about buying parts. There is also a guy that can update/code the cic for much less if you mail him the unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
White_e90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

When you put the most connector on every else was plugged in right? You cannot leave a connector off as it breaks the loop. A dead module also breaks the loop.

I would try diagnosing which module is bad before you go about buying parts. There is also a guy that can update/code the cic for much less if you mail him the unit.
I'm fairly new in the bmw world so I'm not sure what ISTA is..

hmmm Ive been plugging the most adapter into the module itself lol, I didn't realize I have to plug it into the actual fibre optic cable itself
Where is the guy located? im in canada so im not sure how much it would cost to have it sent out..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 06:05 AM   #6
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_e90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

I'm fairly new in the bmw world so I'm not sure what ISTA is..

hmmm Ive been plugging the most adapter into the module itself lol, I didn't realize I have to plug it into the actual fibre optic cable itself
Where is the guy located? im in canada so im not sure how much it would cost to have it sent out..
I don't know if you can ship the head unit and have it coded at GT Peace, although it may be possible. Maybe there is a coder in you local area?

Also check out https://www.bimmer-tech.net/.

They may do it remotely.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:24 AM   #7
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Not necessarily the head unit. Could be dead combox or merely a sketchy MOST connection somewhere in the car. Most common cause is the most interface under steering column which has has terminator not plugged in. Was this a random failure or was there work performed recently that involved updating and or coding?
      01-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #8
nyc4runnin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_e90 View Post
I have the famous sos malfunction warning light. The car is a 09 m3 with I drive

I have nothing showing up on the nav screen, I have no backup sensors, no music or sound. I bought the most adapter and tried to plug it into all the modules in the truck and still nothing. Disconnect the battery even for a day and still same thing.
I used the search bar in the forum but found nothing so had to make a post. Anyone else have this issue? Is my cic unit dead? I was hoping to avoid the dealer.
I got the same problem today randomly, was it indeed your headunit ?
Appreciate 0