BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

12-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
USCm3
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 ZCP

Will BMW know if I use Carly to code a couple things?

Recently purchased a 2011 m3 with 29k miles, in love with the car. It has an AARP platinum warranty until 80k miles and it's covered by any BMW dealership. Rod bearings are covered, so i'd like to follow the warranty as closely as possible to ensure that i wouldnt get shafted in the event that my rod bearings or something else expensive goes out.

I'd like to buy the carly scanner and code a couple things. I'd also like to buy the GTS DCT tune.

When I bring the car in for service, will BMW immediately know if I have coded a couple things through Carly and changed the DCT tune? I dont want to give the warranty company (AARP) any reason to jack me around.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCm3 View Post
Recently purchased a 2011 m3 with 29k miles, in love with the car. It has an AARP platinum warranty until 80k miles and it's covered by any BMW dealership. Rod bearings are covered, so i'd like to follow the warranty as closely as possible to ensure that i wouldnt get shafted in the event that my rod bearings or something else expensive goes out.

I'd like to buy the carly scanner and code a couple things. I'd also like to buy the GTS DCT tune.

When I bring the car in for service, will BMW immediately know if I have coded a couple things through Carly and changed the DCT tune? I dont want to give the warranty company (AARP) any reason to jack me around.

They won't immediately know but it's possible they could find out if they were paying close attention or decided to do some detective work.

I think basic coding isn't going to be a problem.

The DCT tune is more risk because if the DCT or drive train fails they could make a weak argument it was the DCT tune.

My guess is they won't notice though, never heard of a warranty decline because DCT tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:03 AM   #3
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCm3 View Post

I read a story not long ago about a guy who tried to take BMW to court over his rod bearing failure. BMW pointed out that he had modified the software, including the DCT upgrade, and (ahem) added a supercharger. The case was thrown out. I imagine a 5-figure claim to a warranty company will include a little questionnaire the mechanic has to complete to get paid about evidence of aftermarket/non OEM changes. That said, I have a CARMAX warranty and it hasn't stopped me from getting the DCT tune, stage 1 tune, and a few other modest improvements to the car. Life's too short.
Appreciate 0