BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

12-02-2020, 11:10 PM   #1
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

e90 buying advice

Hi all, still looking to buy a e90 m3. Is 70k miles a lot for a 2011 model? is the throttle actuator swap really important?
Also, comp pack adds value to resale but is it really worth buying one with comp pack?
Any input is appreciated. Thanks
      12-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
Hi all, still looking to buy a e90 m3. Is 70k miles a lot for a 2011 model? is the throttle actuator swap really important?
Also, comp pack adds value to resale but is it really worth buying one with comp pack?
X3 M40i and e90 M3 combo is what we have now, and I think they complement each other well. Although I have a feeling M3 will stay with us longer.

2011 e90s are 10 year old cars so I don't think 70k miles is a lot (less than 10K per year), although I personally looked for something <50K miles. I would put more weight on service/ownership history than the miles though.

As for throttle actuators, I think rod bearings are more urgent at 70K miles, IMO. You will know when throttle actuators start to fail unlike rod bearings.

I had e92 with comp pack and now e90 with no options/packages. I think comp pack made subtle differences in handling and ride although that could be entirely due to EDC. Personally, I do not miss comp pack too much.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
No it's not a lot. That's ~7-8k per year.

Throttle actuator swaps are not important. It's a sub $1000, easy DIY fix and like others said "when they start to go you will know". To me, not buying a car because of the TA's is like saying I won't buy a car that doesn't have brand new tires.

Same goes for rod bearings, if you plan on owning the car for a long time they are an expensive insurance policy against an exploding engine. But the treatment of the car long term is a bigger factor. I want to do mine because the PO seemed to do oil changes at the BMW recommended ~10k service intervals and included track time even though I only have 50k. But that's not to say he mis-treated the car so they could get pulled out and still be fine.

Comp pack is just the suspension and the wheels. I was lucky to find a ZCP car but I easily would've taken one without it had the right car shown up.
      12-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
X3 M40i and e90 M3 combo is what we have now, and I think they complement each other well. Although I have a feeling M3 will stay with us longer.

2011 e90s are 10 year old cars so I don't think 70k miles is a lot (less than 10K per year), although I personally looked for something <50K miles. I would put more weight on service/ownership history than the miles though.

As for throttle actuators, I think rod bearings are more urgent at 70K miles, IMO. You will know when throttle actuators start to fail unlike rod bearings.

I had e92 with comp pack and now e90 with no options/packages. I think comp pack made subtle differences in handling and ride although that could be entirely due to EDC. Personally, I do not miss comp pack too much.
Thank you, the car im looking at has EDC but no comp pack. I guess the comp pack wheels are the only thing thats more attractive to me
      12-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
No it's not a lot. That's ~7-8k per year.

Throttle actuator swaps are not important. It's a sub $1000, easy DIY fix and like others said "when they start to go you will know". To me, not buying a car because of the TA's is like saying I won't buy a car that doesn't have brand new tires.

Same goes for rod bearings, if you plan on owning the car for a long time they are an expensive insurance policy against an exploding engine. But the treatment of the car long term is a bigger factor. I want to do mine because the PO seemed to do oil changes at the BMW recommended ~10k service intervals and included track time even though I only have 50k. But that's not to say he mis-treated the car so they could get pulled out and still be fine.

Comp pack is just the suspension and the wheels. I was lucky to find a ZCP car but I easily would've taken one without it had the right car shown up.
thanks! i agree, i heard these cars last very long if they're regularly maintained.
      12-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
These cars run for a long time. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with 70k miles.

Comp pack gives you nicer wheels, a lower stance and better EDC programming for the suspension. I think it's worth it just for the wheels but that's really up to you.

There is no reason to change throttle actuators preemptively. When one fails, the car goes into limp mode but is still driveable. Being worried about that is like being worried about the window regulator mechanism failing... yes, they fail, but things like this fail in every single car on the planet.

Rod bearings are a more serious issue, because there is no warning, no limp mode, and when you lose an engine you are out of a car for 6 months and many thousands of dollars, plus doing the rod bearings on the donor engine unless you are intent on winning the darwin prize
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
S65 SCHNAUZER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 - TiAg/Cinnamon

i recently bought mine at 85k and did rod bearings and basic maintenance. drives really well and i daily drive it (92k now)

id say go for it
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNAUZER_M View Post
i recently bought mine at 85k and did rod bearings and basic maintenance. drives really well and i daily drive it (92k now)

id say go for it
how much did you spend on the Rod bearing?
      12-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #9
S65 SCHNAUZER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 - TiAg/Cinnamon

Quote:
how much did you spend on the Rod bearing?
around 2300+tax from a well known shop in NJ
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
fs34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I bought my ‘08 at 78k, RBs were done at 76k.

I don’t know any better regarding comp pack. I know I wish I had it for autox reasons as I could legally run 275 squared with the added wheel width, but that’s about it.

If it’s a well maintained car and close to what you want, do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:30 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
TAs don't destroy your engine when they fail so it's not the worst, but replacing them at some point is likely to happen so bills that into the cost of maintenance that will happen eventually. Comp pack isn't worth it if you upgrade the suspension anyway as the wheels are easy to source and they're heavier than the 219s or 220s, the traction control changes are reasonably easy or cheap to program to the car. But if you're going to keep it stock you'll likely prefer the suspension on comp pack over regular, and you will make up the cost in resale.

E90 comp pack is rare though so if you combine that with other rare options like slick top, blue or red car, 6 speed mt, nonav, rear fold seats (not standard in USA), red interior, it can feel impossible to find the car you're looking for so it could be worth it to compromise on no comp pack if that lets you get into a good car with the specs you want the just buy the wheels or whatever.

I bet you can find a white comp pack sedan with dct And sunroof no problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #12
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
TAs don't destroy your engine when they fail so it's not the worst, but replacing them at some point is likely to happen so bills that into the cost of maintenance that will happen eventually. Comp pack isn't worth it if you upgrade the suspension anyway as the wheels are easy to source and they're heavier than the 219s or 220s, the traction control changes are reasonably easy or cheap to program to the car. But if you're going to keep it stock you'll likely prefer the suspension on comp pack over regular, and you will make up the cost in resale.

E90 comp pack is rare though so if you combine that with other rare options like slick top, blue or red car, 6 speed mt, nonav, rear fold seats (not standard in USA), red interior, it can feel impossible to find the car you're looking for so it could be worth it to compromise on no comp pack if that lets you get into a good car with the specs you want the just buy the wheels or whatever.

White comp pack with dct is actually pretty hard to find now I've been searching all over the place comp pack cars are pretty rare, and usually out of my budget.
      12-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

White comp pack with dct is actually pretty hard to find now I've been searching all over the place comp pack cars are pretty rare, and usually out of my budget.
There's a low mile white zcp car here

FS - 2011 e90 competition DCT - 36.5k https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721927

Also two space Gray zcp cars.

One Lamans Blue zcp looking for a trade to f80
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:17 PM   #14
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

FS - 2011 e90 competition DCT - 36.5k https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721927

ive talked to the space gray one and he's only selling to local. this white one has beige interior which i dont prefer...
i've also seen this one , from an online dealer , looks to be clean but hesitant to buy from a dealership: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...deSearchRadius
      12-04-2020, 03:07 AM   #15
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

ive talked to the space gray one and he's only selling to local. this white one has beige interior which i dont prefer...
i've also seen this one , from an online dealer , looks to be clean but hesitant to buy from a dealership: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...deSearchRadius
This guy keeps saying he is thinking about selling

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1707241

He posted more recently about selling it on the v8 m3 e9x owners club on Facebook under the name Brad Mayes. Not 100 percent sure it's zcp though.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #16
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I bought my 2010 E90 in June of 2019 with 84k on the odo. Now have 95k. I loved the comp pack but this car was local which is rare given it was a sedan and I pulled the trigger. The comp packs were only available for one year on the sedan so it makes them even harder to find and finding a sedan is hard enough.

Got the rb's done within first 2 weeks of ownership. Haven't had one issue in the 18 months of ownership (knock on wood) except for the a/c blower motor siezed during the first cold snap this winter. It was a $130 part and a 5 minute youtube video and I had it in and out myself in 15 minutes.

I am about to do the valve cover gaskets over the Christmas break as they are leaking now. Will DIY that as well.

As far as comp pack, it's pretty easy to make your pre 2011 models a comp pack. I bought the M359s immediately after purchasing the car and it makes a big difference visually (imo). You can easily find the springs for around 100 to 200 used on this site and then just code the edc suspension.

Granted a 2011 comp pack might retain more value in the long run, but if that's not your primary goal I say go for a 2010 or 2009, etc. I'd definitely pull the trigger at 70k miles. Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #17
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by For3 View Post
I bought my 2010 E90 in June of 2019 with 84k on the odo. Now have 95k. I loved the comp pack but this car was local which is rare given it was a sedan and I pulled the trigger. The comp packs were only available for one year on the sedan so it makes them even harder to find and finding a sedan is hard enough.

Got the rb's done within first 2 weeks of ownership. Haven't had one issue in the 18 months of ownership (knock on wood) except for the a/c blower motor siezed during the first cold snap this winter. It was a $130 part and a 5 minute youtube video and I had it in and out myself in 15 minutes.

I am about to do the valve cover gaskets over the Christmas break as they are leaking now. Will DIY that as well.

As far as comp pack, it's pretty easy to make your pre 2011 models a comp pack. I bought the M359s immediately after purchasing the car and it makes a big difference visually (imo). You can easily find the springs for around 100 to 200 used on this site and then just code the edc suspension.

Granted a 2011 comp pack might retain more value in the long run, but if that's not your primary goal I say go for a 2010 or 2009, etc. I'd definitely pull the trigger at 70k miles. Good luck with your decision.
Thank you! i agree the m359s make a huge difference visually and that'll probably be my first mod.
      12-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #18
Mimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 13'

Garage List
2013 e92 m3  [0.00]
I would look for records what they done at 50k -70k you will start have a lot more maintenance you need handle and fix ... like shocks, brakes. Etc. these things def add up in cost even if you do the labor.

I love comp package. 👌

It's def harder find lower miles and when they are people charge arm n leg. If budget is of no concern then I'd prefer lowers miles and def Clean record
Appreciate 0