BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

06-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #45
M3 Piotr
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Frozen Black F87 M2 LBB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genro757 View Post
Not necessarily an answer to your question, but BMW will be releasing a "touch up kit" in the near future for Frozen paint...hopefully it wont blob up and require "semi-professional" paint techniques to apply, but might be an alternative to full panel repainting. I've got a couple nicks here and there from spirited driving on the Autobahn...the front is fully wrapped in Broxafol paint protection film for matte/frozen paint...but still managed to get a couple random "scratches" that only I notice...hopefully this future BMW product works out.
Gennaro,
the touch up kit is already available. David got me one as soon as my Frozen Black was delivered (Oct 2011). It is pricey..180 Euro for a small box with two tubes.

Follow me on Insta: M3Piotr
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #46
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Ahhhh touché...I was told it wasn't available yet..maybe for my color it wasn't out.
      06-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #47
M3 Piotr
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genro757 View Post
Ahhhh touché...I was told it wasn't available yet..maybe for my color it wasn't out.
BMW makes touch up paints for any colors that they make. Some one is misinformed. Ask Sascha...he'll get you one.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #48
akioo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Piotr View Post
BMW makes touch up paints for any colors that they make. Some one is misinformed. Ask Sascha...he'll get you one.
Did they make a frozen white touch up paint? I've been looking everywhere, even my local dealer, and they say it doesn't exist. How do I get a hold of Sascha?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #49
akioo
Private
United_States
Rep

Dr. Beasley Matte Paint Prescription

Up until today, I've been following BMW's recommendation to only use their authorized shampoo for washing my frozen white. After about 1500 miles, I began to notice misc blemishes around the car. (I usually keep the car very clean washing once a week) For example, hard water stain drip marks on both side sills, areas which looked "dirty" or brown from some type of contamination, and several scuff marks.

The normal shampoo wash wouldn't get these out and I didn't want to give them too much "attention" in fear of creating a shiny spot.

After doing some research, I decided to order the Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Prescription. They have tons of current articles, blogs, and video's which made me feel comfortable with their system. Their customer service is top notch as well, they were able to answer all my questions quickly and thoroughly.

After spending most of the afternoon using their full 4 step system, all I can say it WOW...all the issues came right out with very little effort! I also applied their sealant, which I was hesitant about. The results look fantastic with a nice even finish and no additional sheen. I'm planning to write up a full review with all the pics I took along the way, however here's a sample of the before and afters...

Hard water stains on both driver and passenger sills:

Scuffs:

Misc dirty marks (hard to see) - was only able to visibly capture one on the door, but there were 2 more on the trunk area

Hard water marks and scuffs no more

Dirty brown marks all gone!

I was definitely skeptical about using anything other than what BMW had recommended, but I'm fully satisfied with the results. Will be using this going forward.

Tyson
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #50
M3 Piotr
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akioo View Post
Did they make a frozen white touch up paint? I've been looking everywhere, even my local dealer, and they say it doesn't exist. How do I get a hold of Sascha?
Sascha is a guy in Germany that works for US Military Sales (Pentagon Car Sales). Let me go take a picture and post a part number.
Attached Images

Last edited by M3 Piotr; 07-01-2013 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #51
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Quote:
.........I was definitely skeptical about using anything other than what BMW had recommended, but I'm fully satisfied with the results. Will be using this going forward.

Tyson
that's a great write up...thanks!

sounds like a good product. i was thinking between this and swisswax's product line. now you've given me reason to consider this...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #52
akioo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sascha is a guy in Germany that works for US Military Sales (Pentagon Car Sales). Let me go take a picture and post a part number.
Thank you!

I'll see if I can track down frozen white.

2013 Frozen White | DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #53
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

There's a frozen blue on the showroom floor at my dealer. Makes me weak in the knees.
      07-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #54
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
There's a frozen blue on the showroom floor at my dealer. Makes me weak in the knees.
you should go for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #55
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjack View Post
you should go for it.
I could if I sold the GT3.
      07-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #56
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I could if I sold the GT3.
ahh...i see, i've heard about the GT3.

are you in the process of selling it privately?

or were you considering a trade in? it has 4k in miles, right? could still have a lot of value in it....even though a dealer would lowball you on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #57
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjack View Post
ahh...i see, i've heard about the GT3.

are you in the process of selling it privately?

or were you considering a trade in? it has 4k in miles, right? could still have a lot of value in it....even though a dealer would lowball you on it.
Still considering. I could sell it relatively quickly for $105 but the right person would see the value in the low mileage and extra year of warranty for $111K or so.

That frozen blue M3 is an awesome looking car. I wonder about the longevity of the paint however. The sticker is $82K iirc. It's also the last of the line and I'd have to get it for cost, no question about it. When the M4 is out next year the value of this frozen blue car will tank. This time next year the same car will be worth $55K.
      07-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #58
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Piotr
Quote:
Aaawwweeesssooomee.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #59
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
...That frozen blue M3 is an awesome looking car. I wonder about the longevity of the paint however.....
for the answer to that you simply have to look through this thread. theses paint jobs have a clear coat like any regular paint job....and they are as durable as them as well. so longevity is just like any other car. no added worries.

the pros are easier car care with no wax involved, the paint also hides scratches and swirls better due to the nature of the clear coat . the only negative is that a Frozen paint job is more expensive to repair.

Quote:
.... The sticker is $82K iirc. It's also the last of the line and I'd have to get it for cost, no question about it. When the M4 is out next year the value of this frozen blue car will tank. This time next year the same car will be worth $55K.
if cost is invoice or lower, then you obviously have an exceptional deal. those frozen special editions also have the matching stitching which i believe is undervalued in that package.

however if you look at the E92 losing value when the M4 will come out....if that's how you look at this car, then this is not worth it to you. these will be two different cars....and if numbers are all you see and if you want the latest and greatest, then the M4 will be a better bet for you.

however, the M4 will probably be priced with a premium mark up and will have all the problems of a first generation performance car. not worth it to me.

IMO, the E92 is only worth buying for people who like this particular engine, or anything specific to this car and maybe have a value for M history and
heritage.it's also my opinion that it's a car that can have some future value some 20-30 years down the road due to it's significance in BMW and M history.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #60
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

My opinion on the Frozen paint (which I passed on a Frozen Blue last week and instead opted for my Interlagos) is that for most people on this forum and many enthusiasts who wash their car weekly and keep a quick detailing bottle close by, it is fine. It is especially easy if you are someone who doesn't drive the car every single day and puts the car away in the winter.

However, I know myself. Right now, less than a week after taking my new car, yes I am spraying the quick detail quite often and keeping it clean which is fine. But I know that down the line, I will stop being this meticulous. I also don't have time to put away for a hand wash every week. Once a month is pushing it as it is. As I own the car, it will get dusty and dirt will set in and I will not continue to be as meticulous as others.

This is just how I am, and I know many people are different about their cars (my next door neighbor, for example).

Due to this, I opted against the Frozen. I feel that becoming lazy is not an option and allowing dirt to settle in over a month or so will in fact ruin the paint, which is a risk I wasn't willing to take.

While letting dirt sit isn't the best idea for the glossy paints, it is still tried and true and a good claybar and wax will restore the paint. BMW makes the glossy paints on the regular 3 series's to protect from months and months of neglect, as so many regular car (see: grocery getter) owners go this long without a wash. The paint has to be able to hold up to this.

If, in fact, the matte paint can stay healthy and you are able to rejuvinate it even after a month or 2 of neglect, then I may have made a terrible mistake letting the frozen go by (though saving 10k was fine consolation). But I'm not sure I will ever know the answer to that question.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #61
obn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Frozen Black Edition

Quote:
thank you
      07-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #62
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Does anyone have a contact for Sascha or someone in europe? BMW has a MATT PAINT kit for sale there. Darn US regulations has not approved of it's sale here in the states. Someone please PM me. Thanks!
      07-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #63
akioo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@BMWMt.laurel View Post
Does anyone have a contact for Sascha or someone in europe? BMW has a MATT PAINT kit for sale there. Darn US regulations has not approved of it's sale here in the states. Someone please PM me. Thanks!
Same here please, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #64
nyannitello
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 Sedan

I would love info/contact as well!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #65
nyannitello
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 Sedan

Quote:
Up until today, I've been following BMW's recommendation to only use their authorized shampoo for washing my frozen white. After about 1500 miles, I began to notice misc blemishes around the car. (I usually keep the car very clean washing once a week) For example, hard water stain drip marks on both side sills, areas which looked "dirty" or brown from some type of contamination, and several scuff marks.

The normal shampoo wash wouldn't get these out and I didn't want to give them too much "attention" in fear of creating a shiny spot.

After doing some research, I decided to order the Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Prescription. They have tons of current articles, blogs, and video's which made me feel comfortable with their system. Their customer service is top notch as well, they were able to answer all my questions quickly and thoroughly.

After spending most of the afternoon using their full 4 step system, all I can say it WOW...all the issues came right out with very little effort! I also applied their sealant, which I was hesitant about. The results look fantastic with a nice even finish and no additional sheen. I'm planning to write up a full review with all the pics I took along the way, however here's a sample of the before and afters...

I was definitely skeptical about using anything other than what BMW had recommended, but I'm fully satisfied with the results. Will be using this going forward.

Tyson
Thanks for the write up and post Tyson. I have ordered the same matte paint kit and will do a write with my opinion on it as well!

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #66
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyannitello View Post
Thanks for the write up and post Tyson. I have ordered the same matte paint kit and will do a write with my opinion on it as well!

-Nick
Looking forward to reading the write-ups! I just got a Frozen Blue, and I'm absolutely anal about... Well, everything really... But especially my paint!

Ordered Swissvax kit, and plan on following the recommendations on this (and other) threads. Think I'm going to pass on xpel... Was originally going to wrap everything, but after looking at a few installations, I don't think I'll ever be happy with the outcome... 3M for track days (1200 miles seems like forever right now anyway), but I think that's going to be it...
Appreciate 0