BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

12-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #23
RC Post
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

What's the trick to change out bulbs?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #24
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Thanks for your input Bubbles!

After checking out the Philips/Osram extra brightness I ended up placing order on OSRAM standard 66140 Xenarc. Figured they will do the trick while providing reasonable life time (which 4 years warranty indicates).
And, very nice 40 Euros each!

You seems to be a light expert. Do you take out the projector lenses and clean them up as well? Mine looks pretty dimm but might be the buld. We'll see!
If only it were that easy. You have to crack open the headlight to get the type of cleaning you want. Wait until you plan on replacing the outer headlight cover. There is a film that develops on the stock hid optic lens. Cleaning it improved the optics, but a swap to OEM zkw lens (not zkw-r) made a significant improvement in output (too much actually with new bulbs).
Attached Images

12-16-2020, 11:14 PM   #25
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Quote:
Thanks for your input Bubbles!

After checking out the Philips/Osram extra brightness I ended up placing order on OSRAM standard 66140 Xenarc. Figured they will do the trick while providing reasonable life time (which 4 years warranty indicates).
And, very nice 40 Euros each!

You seems to be a light expert. Do you take out the projector lenses and clean them up as well? Mine looks pretty dimm but might be the buld. We'll see!
If only it were that easy. You have to crack open the headlight to get the type of cleaning you want. Wait until you plan on replacing the outer headlight cover. There is a film that develops on the stock hid optic lens. Cleaning it improved the optics, but a swap to OEM zkw lens (not zkw-r) made a significant improvement in output (too much actually with new bulbs).
What's the difference between ZKW and ZKW-R projectors?

And what do you mean too much light output? Your lowbeams are too bright?

Is it to a point where it creates a problem or is less functional in anyway??
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 05:04 AM   #26
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks mate. Read an article about taking out the lens by simply losening the 4 screws and carefully pull it out "backwards". This was a regular 3-series, maybe different on the M3?
If the housing has to be taken out, I'll start with the new bulbs only...

Edit: Like this:
Attached Images

Last edited by Helmsman; 12-17-2020 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 10:12 PM   #27
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate. Read an article about taking out the lens by simply losening the 4 screws and carefully pull it out "backwards". This was a regular 3-series, maybe different on the M3?

The challenge is the adaptive projector bracket. It may be possible with surgical precision and endless patience - neither of which I possess.
Attached Images

12-17-2020, 10:38 PM   #28
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post

ZKW is a lighting manufacturer like AL that produced headlights for BMW cars in the early 2000s. The zkw OEM lens is considered the holy grail for lighting, color and cutoff. The zkw-r is the replica of the zkw lens which shares many attributes, but the fit and outputis not quite the same. The ZKW OEM output was unmatched in my eyes and less problematic for oncoming traffic due to how the lens is engineered. The brightness was in part due to replacing the projector bowls which had been slightly burned over time. (burn reduces illumination).

New projectors bowls with the zkw OEM lens resulted in effectively new OEM+ headlights that produces excellent illumination with unmatched color, clean cut off and light diffusion for signs.

Too much foreground lighting will impact your night vision so everything is a balance.

For me, the optics journey was a very humbling experience, optics are complex and not something I recommend for the faint of heart. If your lights are 10+years old and your want better illumination that isn’t remedied by new bulbs, go ahead a buy a new set of lights and be done with it. You’ll get new everything including the wiring.
      12-18-2020, 12:36 AM   #29
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

ZKW is a lighting manufacturer like AL that produced headlights for BMW cars in the early 2000s. The zkw OEM lens is considered the holy grail for lighting, color and cutoff. The zkw-r is the replica of the zkw lens which shares many attributes, but the fit and outputis not quite the same. The ZKW OEM output was unmatched in my eyes and less problematic for oncoming traffic due to how the lens is engineered. The brightness was in part due to replacing the projector bowls which had been slightly burned over time. (burn reduces illumination).

New projectors bowls with the zkw OEM lens resulted in effectively new OEM+ headlights that produces excellent illumination with unmatched color, clean cut off and light diffusion for signs.

Too much foreground lighting will impact your night vision so everything is a balance.

For me, the optics journey was a very humbling experience, optics are complex and not something I recommend for the faint of heart. If your lights are 10+years old and your want better illumination that isn't remedied by new bulbs, go ahead a buy a new set of lights and be done with it. You'll get new everything including the wiring.
Wow thanks for that, a lot of good info there.

How easy is it to wash that hazy film off? Does it just come right off?

I can see my stock bulbs are very bright, but the light output just isn't where I'd like it to be.

Indeed optics are a whirlwind of a rabbit hole to get into, and an interesting one at that.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 01:31 AM   #30
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
The challenge is the adaptive projector bracket. It may be possible with surgical precision and endless patience - neither of which I possess.
The article say "simply loose the 4 Torx 25 and pull out". While those screws seems to be on the "inside" in your picture which makes a challenge to say the least. Hmm, anyways, thanks a bunch for all the info Bubbles. I'll take a look once I recieved the bulbs.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #31
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Wow thanks for that, a lot of good info there.

How easy is it to wash that hazy film off? Does it just come right off?

I can see my stock bulbs are very bright, but the light output just isn't where I'd like it to be.

Indeed optics are a whirlwind of a rabbit hole to get into, and an interesting one at that.

It wipes off with a microfiber cloth, looks like it is off gassing from something. The wire insulation had completely disintegrated in spots as well which was something that required a full rewire (more time in the rabbit hole).
      12-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #32
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I recommend the PHILIPS 5000K DIAMOND VISION. Really updates the car. Much more white than stock without any blue.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #33
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
I have to replace my BMW E90 M3 headlights, since they are too pitted to PPF and look like a mess. They don't sell the plastic polycarbonate cover alone like on the E46. Not sure if it is condensation. You have to bake the headlight to pull it apart due to the butyl seal.

BMW OEM headlights are $1050 each. The OE Headlights are about $665 each (by Magneti Marelli) from FCP Euro, with a lifetime guarantee. AutoHausAz has the OE Hella headlights. Used OEM BMW headlights that can be polished are an option. A Bayoptiks rebuild or custom headlight is an option, but $$$$. You have to send in your core and wait a month, while your bumper is off at the shop. They have pre-built units, but mostly for F-bodies.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...17#description

You have to remove the front bumper to remove the headlight assemblies. If your front oil cooler breaks, consider a headlight swap or upgrade to save on labor costs.

The ZKW Projectors are typically a little frosted. There are also outgassing deposits to frost the lens even more. This reduces light output from the headlights. BayOptiks will replace the ZKW projectors with a clear lens, so you get maximum brightness from your XENON HIDs. Pretty sure you can't replace the ZKW projectors without opening up the headlight assembly by baking it and then resealing it.

The new headlight doesnt include the electronics and bulbs. So I had to research HID Xenon bulbs. The D1S size is for the XENON HID high/low beams. Other XENON HID sizes like D2S and D3/D4 are for other car models. The H8 size is for the Angle Eyes (get Luxe). The H3 size is for the inner cornering lights (minimal upgrades available, except a whiter temp option).

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bu...le/2009+BMW+M3
Click on Low beams.

There are three brand options: OSRAM (Sylvania) and Philips both in Germany, plus Morimoto (less expensive but good). Price is $150-250 for a pair of D1S Xenon HIDs.

OSRAM model XENON HIDs are CBH, CBI, CBB (7000k White/Brightest), CBA (replaces CBH), and Night Beam Laser (4200k Warm White-Yellow/Very Bright). Most other HIDs are 6000k White. OSRAM hypes their temps, so 7000k is really 6000k.

Philips has a White Vision V2 and Extreme Vision V2 XENON HID at 4800-5000k/Warm White.

Be careful, since there are fake OSRAMs and Philips XENON HIDs out there on eBay and Amazon. OSRAM has an authentication website.

The RetroFitSource and Headlight Revolution sites are exactly the same and have massive content on youtube...so be careful ordering. Sketchy....Lux (Brightness) Test results for the same bulbs across videos don't match. Avoid Amazon.com.

You have to pull the front wheels off and remove the fender liner to get to the XENON HIDs. So combine this lighting mod, with any wheel, tire, brake or front bumper work. In case you didnt notice, BMW made an access door in the fender liner to replace the halogen headlight bulbs, but when they upgraded the tech to the XENON HIDs, they didn't create a new and larger access door for that simple headlight bulb repair (from behind or above like the angel eyes H8). Dunkoffs!!

BONUS: Never knew that the inner lights are cornering lights that don't turn on until you turn the steering wheel to the right or left at night. Freaky...

Cheers

Last edited by nyc_dude; 01-31-2021 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 04:03 PM   #34
EMKOOP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Just wanted to chime in that despite everyone recommending to remove the front wheels to gain access to the HID bulb change it is not necessary.

If you turn your wheels full lock and remove the front fender liners (Necessary with or without the front wheels off) you will have more than enough room to change the HID bulbs.
victo6.00
      01-31-2021, 04:30 PM   #35
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #36
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

I ordered the LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes, they're still on the way in shipping.

How do they compare to the XENARC NIGHT BREAKER LASER D1S (are these real laser lights or its just some marketing gimmick?)
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 11:21 PM   #37
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spartan View Post

How do they compare to the XENARC NIGHT BREAKER LASER D1S (are these real laser lights or its just some marketing gimmick?)
They are hids not lasers. Good bulbs with good distance. They do tend to get washed out if you are in area with heavy high kelvin usage (6k bulbs). They are very easy on the eyes for extended night driving.
      02-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #38
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:

Apologies for going OT...

That's a lot of anti-corrosion stuff in there, in the first shot!

Was this from the factory, or have you added some?

Living in the submerged UK, I am very sensitive about....rust....
      02-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #39
B8bydesign
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post
I have to replace my BMW E90 M3 headlights, since they are too pitted to PPF and look like a mess. They don't sell the plastic polycarbonate cover alone like on the E46. Not sure if it is condensation. You have to bake the headlight to pull it apart due to the butyl seal.
You sure about this? I've been seeing a bunch of people freshening up their headlights lately with new plastic lens covers and even found these on Amazon (no personal experience) which leads me to believe that they do exist, just wish I could find a quality set or even from the OEM manufacturer:

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Rep...r_1_1?dchild=1
Sold: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Performance | ACM | BPM | iND | Thule | LUX | Macht Schnell | Broadway Static | Rogue Engineering | BBS | Challenge | Metak
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 03:36 AM   #40
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Apologies for going OT...

That's a lot of anti-corrosion stuff in there, in the first shot!

Was this from the factory, or have you added some?

Living in the submerged UK, I am very sensitive about....rust....
No idea mate, stole these pictures from a local BMW site and they are supposely from a standard 3 series. Hence my wonder if it would look the same on the M3, but apparantly (+ unfortunately...) not.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #41
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B8bydesign View Post
You sure about this? I've been seeing a bunch of people freshening up their headlights lately with new plastic lens covers and even found these on Amazon (no personal experience) which leads me to believe that they do exist, just wish I could find a quality set or even from the OEM manufacturer:

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Rep...r_1_1?dchild=1
Made by Gangmu Tec Co.,Ltd. I don't think they speak German.

BMW OE/OEM lens aren't available. Videos are on youtube for doing this replacement. It is a huge pain and you have to pull the bumper. If the headlight isn't sealed properly, you get water or condensation.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:00 PM   #42
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spartan View Post

The Lux Angel Eyes and the Xenon D1S and the H3 bulbs are all different.

- Lux Angel Eyes and small H3 bulb are installed from the top in the engine compartment.
- OSRAM CBBs D1S is installed from the rear in the wheel well. (look for the large square metal silver box)

You need tiny hands to install the Lux Angel Eyes. Find a child or supermodel.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:20 PM   #43
B8bydesign
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post
Made by Gangmu Tec Co.,Ltd. I don't think they speak German.

BMW OE/OEM lens aren't available. Videos are on youtube for doing this replacement. It is a huge pain and you have to pull the bumper. If the headlight isn't sealed properly, you get water or condensation.

Cheers
Sadly, that's why I've been looking into this, my left headlight has condensation and needs to be resealed, so I was hoping I could install a new lens at the same time.
Sold: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Performance | ACM | BPM | iND | Thule | LUX | Macht Schnell | Broadway Static | Rogue Engineering | BBS | Challenge | Metak
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:31 PM   #44
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B8bydesign View Post
Sadly, that's why I've been looking into this, my left headlight has condensation and needs to be resealed, so I was hoping I could install a new lens at the same time.
Get an OE Headlight on FCP Euro. $600-700.
Or go custom BayOptiks...but you car will be down 2 weeks.

Get a used headlight on Ebay or check with DeansBimmer at MPorium (TX).
(Look for low mileage and polish the lens before install to avoided pitted clear polycarbonate lens -- then PPF and Ceramic Coat on the car).

Cheers
Appreciate 0