BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-14-2022, 10:32 AM   #111
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo Cat View Post
chemical strip or sandblast? i had one side sandblasted and the shop doesn't want to do the other side because the one side i just had done was apparently a huge pain so looking into new options
I got mine powder coated by these guys: https://boneheadperformance.com
Overall, I thought they did a pretty good job.

Went with whatever was closest to OEM gray (textured). Had to remove the baffles inside prior to shipping. Both covers only cost $130 plus shipping for each way. They also did an excellent job of packing to prevent any damage from shipping, which I was kinda worried about.
Wow $130 FOR BOTH is an exceptionally good deal. Thanks for the link. How is the quality of the gasket channels? In other words are the gasket channels smooth and pit free? Mine are in desperate need of TLC of some kind and the valve cover gaskets are long overdue. It's psychologically damaging for me to look at mine, but scheduled to do next month - finances permitting..
Attached Images

'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2022, 02:01 PM   #112
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
I got mine powder coated by these guys: https://boneheadperformance.com
Overall, I thought they did a pretty good job.

Went with whatever was closest to OEM gray (textured). Had to remove the baffles inside prior to shipping. Both covers only cost $130 plus shipping for each way. They also did an excellent job of packing to prevent any damage from shipping, which I was kinda worried about.
Looks awesome, did they coat the inside too? Or is that the raw finish?

What a good deal!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 02:46 PM   #113
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

anyone have the right part number to the rubber grommets that are around the bolts? trying to save a little money and not replace all the bolts
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 02:50 PM   #114
Vedubin01
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
anyone have the right part number to the rubber grommets that are around the bolts? trying to save a little money and not replace all the bolts
Don't think they sell that by itself
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 03:38 PM   #115
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
They don't sell it like that.
The grommets are proprietary to the bolts, unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-14-2022, 04:14 PM   #116
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Wow $130 FOR BOTH is an exceptionally good deal. Thanks for the link. How is the quality of the gasket channels? In other words are the gasket channels smooth and pit free? Mine are in desperate need of TLC of some kind and the valve cover gaskets are long overdue. It's psychologically damaging for me to look at mine, but scheduled to do next month - finances permitting..
The gasket channels don't look smooth but they did a good job of blasting. I've had them on for 2 months, no leaks at all. Used a dab of sealant where the front timing covers meet the cyl head. I posted some more photos if that helps.

Oh, and I have to correct myself. Just checked the receipt, actually paid $115. Shipping was about $25 each way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
DrFerry6728.50
Battle162.50
chenium31.00
jun_e92140.50
      08-14-2022, 04:20 PM   #117
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post

What a good deal!
The underside is raw, blasted but not coated. I thought it had been powder coated too at first until I looked closely. I called them anyway to make sure.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-15-2022, 07:05 AM   #118
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post

What a good deal!
The underside is raw, blasted but not coated. I thought it had been powder coated too at first until I looked closely. I called them anyway to make sure.
Hhhmm: I think I recall deansbimmer saying it's supposed to be coated on the inside too. Something to do with the magnesium reacting with the oil acids. I could be wrong, but hopefully he'll chime in.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2022, 08:41 AM   #119
chenium
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
Did you put sealant in the gasket channels? It's been recommended to place a thin bead there to seal between the channel and the gasket but I'd rather not if it can work without it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #120
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No, I didn't put sealant in the gasket channels. I don't want to have to clean it out next time I do VC gaskets, lol. It's been 2 months, no leaks so far.

I have another I-6 motor that I've done the VC gasket 3 times already. The gasket channels are much worse on that and it didn't leak because of lack of sealant. It actually leaked in the back because there was old sealant stuck on the cyl head half-moon area, which couldn't be seen until I removed the head. All good now, no leaks.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 07:32 PM   #121
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
We've refined our method over the years, Having done so many of these covers to date. The inside of our "remanufactured" covers are coated in a special primer to seal the magnesium. We also add a light trace of sealant to the sealing grooves where the gasket goes in. It will leak prematurely if that is skipped. The sealing grooves will never be as smooth and even as virgin castings so it's necessary to ensure the gasket seals properly long term- IF used or re-coated covers are being reinstalled.

When we do this job we do it expecting many years of leak free service. If you want to do annual gasket replacements then skip the sealant.
Appreciate 6
Davisca4552207.50
DrFerry6728.50
chenium31.00
wyatth3548.50
jun_e92140.50
      08-17-2022, 09:43 AM   #122
daitheflu20
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
$130 IS really good. For comparison, I just had mine done here in Atlanta about 3 weeks ago for $177. I still think $177 is pretty good.

Appreciate 3
DrFerry6728.50
CamasM3e933147.50
jun_e92140.50
      08-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #123
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
We've refined our method over the years, Having done so many of these covers to date. The inside of our "remanufactured" covers are coated in a special primer to seal the magnesium. We also add a light trace of sealant to the sealing grooves where the gasket goes in. It will leak prematurely if that is skipped. The sealing grooves will never be as smooth and even as virgin castings so it's necessary to ensure the gasket seals properly long term- IF used or re-coated covers are being reinstalled.

When we do this job we do it expecting many years of leak free service. If you want to do annual gasket replacements then skip the sealant.
Do you guys now offer this for people willing to ship you their VCs? If so, please PM your price! Would love to pair these with your vanos gear covers.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-17-2022, 04:17 PM   #124
deansbimmer
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Do you guys now offer this for people willing to ship you their VCs? If so, please PM your price! Would love to pair these with your vanos gear covers.
We don't really do one-off restoration of customers' covers- the cost is higher and lead time extreme. Instead, we maintain an inventory of covers already restored in various colors. We take in rebuildable cores in a core-exchange basis. When we get up to a couple dozen covers or so we'll restore them to replenish our inventory.

We have a decent assortment right now. We're also working on a new batch, in case you need a color we don't usually do. If you're looking to do your covers send me a message...Our vanos cups would be a perfect add-on for that job. We also offer vapor honed front timing case covers on a core exchange basis, which is the cherry on top for the job.
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6728.50
wyatth3548.50
nah dude237.00
      08-17-2022, 10:14 PM   #125
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

^ Lovely! I'll certainly reach out when I get closer to tackling this whole job. Any examples of the vapor honed timing cover?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-18-2022, 08:35 AM   #126
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Oh well, guess I'll report back when my valve covers leak again next year.

So how much are your "remanufactured" valve covers? Couldn't find them on your website or eBay shop.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
GORDON.M31421.00
      08-18-2022, 09:12 PM   #127
ygoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:

Why did you decide to add the inside primer? did you observe bubbling and degradation in covers after blasting and coating the outside only?

I blasted and coated mine, and these have been fine for the last 18 months with no leaks - wondering at what time frame did you observe these starting to leak again.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 12:29 AM   #128
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The gasket channels don't look smooth but they did a good job of blasting. I've had them on for 2 months, no leaks at all. Used a dab of sealant where the front timing covers meet the cyl head. I posted some more photos if that helps.

Oh, and I have to correct myself. Just checked the receipt, actually paid $115. Shipping was about $25 each way.
Nice! Did you prep the covers before you sent? Or they didn't care and sandblasted them?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 05:47 AM   #129
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
Nice! Did you prep the covers before you sent? Or they didn't care and sandblasted them?
I removed parts that I didn't want powder coated, such as, nuts & bolts and baffles. They do advise removing these parts or they will charge extra if they have to do it.
If you're asking about cleaning the valve covers, then no I didn't. Just wiped off enough oil so it didn't leak all over the packaging.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      03-28-2023, 09:59 PM   #130
IM Buddy8
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeep Srt Bmw M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I had mine blasted and cerokoted they came out really good, have replaced all the hardware will install them tonight. In the end the dyi cost over $600 for hardware and coat, I hope it lasts..
So are we not supposed to have the insides powercoated? Seems like early on in the thread people said no and then the pics most people did the inside. I can’t imagine the surface in the gasket grove would be smooth enough to keep oil in if it’s powder coated?

Going to get mine done and not sure what to tell them to do. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 08:24 AM   #131
deansbimmer
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM Buddy8 View Post
So are we not supposed to have the insides powercoated? Seems like early on in the thread people said no and then the pics most people did the inside. I can’t imagine the surface in the gasket grove would be smooth enough to keep oil in if it’s powder coated?

Going to get mine done and not sure what to tell them to do. Thanks in advance!
Here is a link to a thread I made about the topic, it touches on coating the insides. It's recommended, but there are caveats.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1989608
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 05:50 PM   #132
romeo_f
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

PM sent!

Quote:
Here is a link to a thread I made about the topic, it touches on coating the insides. It's recommended, but there are caveats.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1989608
Appreciate 0