BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-18-2023, 10:39 PM   #1
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

TracTive Semi-Active Suspension Review

[This is gonna be a long post. Apologies in advance]

After 6+ years and 60k kms with my Ohlins R/T, it's finally time to try something new. I'm starting this thread to document my purchase, install and review of the TracTive Touring suspension with their ACE controller.

TracTive Touring Line for E9x M3

About TracTive
TracTive is a new small suspension manufacturer from the Netherlands which was started in 2010. They started their business in motorcycle suspension (like Ohlins) and have recently ventured into automotive street and motorsports applications (also like Ohlins). I heard about TracTive 2-3 years ago and was intrigued because they provide an in-car adjustable semi-active suspension setup that would be great in modernizing my E92 M3.

While they are relatively new to the BMW car scene, they are well known among the Porsche guys. Searching Rennlist turned up a lot of rave reviews about the TracTive damper paired with DSC Sport controllers. DSC are a separate company which makes PASM-compatible suspension controllers which are paired with TracTive dampers. Good enough for a GT3, good enough for my M3, I guess.

I will try my best to explain the unique technologies in the TracTive suspension, but I am by no means an expert so I may get some things wrong (and please feel free to correct me). I will also directly plagiarize some marketing material as I feel they explain it better than I can.

Dynamic Damping Adjustment (DDA) Valve
The heart of the Tractive damper is their patented DDA valve. The DDA valve is the fastest, most stable bi-directional internal damping valve in the world. The DDA valve can respond to commands from the controller in only six milliseconds (comparable valve designs respond in 80-100 milliseconds). Unlike other electronic solenoid valves, the DDA valve can also respond to mid-stroke commands, allowing for even more instantaneous damping performance. This means that the TracTive damper can dynamically go from full soft to full hard in a heartbeat to react to suspension events like bumps, potholes or riding kerbs at track. The DDA is designed to fail in a closed (full hard) state.

DDA Valve

This is actually very similar to how E9x M3 EDC works. The key difference here is that the TracTive DDA reacts much more quickly than the BMW EDC valve. So basically the stock EDC damper can't keep up with the EDC ECU, but TracTive dampers can.

TracTive builds the dampers for the Pagani Huayra Roadster BC which uses the same DDA valve as the E9x M3 application.

Active Controlled Electronics (ACE) Controller
TracTive dampers are plug & play compatible with E9x/F8x M EDC. If your car has EDC, you can get the TracTive Touring damper set and connect it directly to EDC to enjoy the performance of the DDA valve. In fact there are quite a few good reviews on the F8x forums.

My car didn't have EDC so I needed a standalone controller to work with the TracTive dampers. Enter the ACE Controller. The ACE controller includes a control module with G-sensor, a display unit, and the necessary wiring to all the dampers. ACE gives you independent damping control from inside the car. Not only can you set damper firmness front and rear, you can also adjust roll (left/right) and pitch (front/back) interference for stable braking and controlled corner entry. So, theoretically (cos I haven't tested it yet), you can set dampers to full soft and roll to full stiff. Mid corner when the G-sensor detects roll, it will stiffen up the dampers to reduce body roll.

There is also a motorsport specific R-ACE controller which combines all the benefits of the ACE technology with the addition of secondary low- and high-speed compression adjustments, which are tuned for the application and motorsport discipline.

Last year TracTive updated their ACE display from the older bar-style to a new GT3RS look. This display can be mounted in an air vent (F8x air vent mount below), but I decided to go another way as I did not want to give up an air vent. More on that later. The ACE display is manufactured by CANchecked.de.

TracTive Touring Line
Since my car spends 98% of its life as a daily driver and canyon carver, I decided to go for the TracTive Touring Line which is directly comparable to the Ohlins Road & Track kit. Also, the Ohlins R/T to me is the perfect street suspension for our M3s, providing amazing body control with little to no sacrifice on comfort. If the TracTive can provide the same performance as Ohlins R/T with in-car damping adjustability, I will consider it an amazing product.

Above is product image from TracTive website for E9x Touring kit. The kit I received has minor differences, e.g. mine does not have helper springs. So far it looks very well made and some of the initial things I've noticed are:

- Dampers are anodized black & orange, construction is very high quality
- Springs are Eibach Sportline (red) springs with similar rates to Ohlins R/T
- Front dampers are inverted monotube
- Front spring preload, height and antiroll bar end link height are independently adjustable
- Antiroll bar end links are provided

Warranty
TracTive suspension are warrantied for 2 years / 50,000 km. The dampers are also rebuildable by TracTive.

That's it for this first post. So far everything looks good and I can't wait to get it all installed and I can test it on the road.

Last edited by Redd; 03-21-2023 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 7
derbo3608.50
Davisca4552207.50
wyatth3548.50
ganz150.00
Ajolives922.00
CTMike262.00
DrFerry6728.50
      03-18-2023, 10:57 PM   #2
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

wyatth
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 11:01 PM   #3
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

I was looking at these awhile back as it was the second coilover option to retaining EDC. Very curious on your thoughts when you get them installed!

I remember in a previous hunt:

Tracktive Touring EDC coilover spring rates:

Front 48 N/mm and rear 120 N/mm
Front 275lb/in and rear 685 lb/in
Appreciate 1
wyatth3548.50
      03-19-2023, 12:07 AM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Installation Note
TracTive Touring Line is designed to be plug & Play for E9x M3 EDC. So for those coming from non-EDC (like me), you need to make sure you have the EDC top mounts front & rear which are for 12mm shaft (not the 10mm non-EDC ones).

Also, the following items from stock EDC suspension need to be re-used:
1. Front and rear strut top mounts
2. Rear bump stop and cover
3. Rear top and bottom rubber spring pads

The above items are not included in the TracTive kit and it is a good idea to replace them when installing the new suspension.

Last edited by Redd; 03-19-2023 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      03-19-2023, 12:53 AM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Display Type & Mounting
There are two types of display available for the TracTive kit. The newer one is GT3RS-style and is also the one that ships by default. The GT3 style display is touchscreen and does NOT include the controller knob. So you will need to use your fingers only.

The 2nd display type is the older bar-style display. This older display is available with the controller knob and is preferred for motorsport use as its easier to make adjustments/selections especially while wearing gloves. If you prefer this older display style, you need to specify that at the time of purchase.

In hindsight I wish I had gotten the older bar style display as I would like the knob and my display will be hidden most of the time.

Old bar-style display below.

[Edited] The display is NOT powered by a Micro USB cable. It receives power from the two connector blocks. While a Micro USB cable is provided with the display, it does not seem to be used for normal display operation.

While you can spec for an air vent mount when you order the TracTive kit, I was reluctant to lose an air vent and decided to mount the ACE display inside the front ashtray for a cleaner look.

With some Dremel work and creative positioning it is possible to mount the display inside the ashtray. You will need to grind down the front and back edges of the ashtray or the door won't close over the display. You will also need to get a flat 90-degree USB cable or you won't be able to fit the power cable to the display unit.

Note: If you want the air vent mount you need to specify it at time of purchase as the faceplate is different.

Last edited by Redd; 03-24-2023 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      03-19-2023, 10:00 PM   #6
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Glad to see you taking the plunge on these! The details seem right up my alley, but their limited exposure on this platform make it tough to take the jump. Ohlins R&T (from Sweden, fyi) are my second choice, so your input will be especially interesting.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 10:14 PM   #7
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Glad to see you taking the plunge on these! The details seem right up my alley, but their limited exposure on this platform make it tough to take the jump. Ohlins R&T (from Sweden, fyi) are my second choice, so your input will be especially interesting.
Oops! Thanks for the heads up. Have corrected my original post.

For BMW platform, the F8x guys have been using TracTive for a while now. But it's certainly not as mainstream/mature as Ohlins.
Appreciate 1
wyatth3548.50
      03-20-2023, 08:19 AM   #8
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Got a reply from TracTive on spring rates.

Stock M3
Front = 160 lb/in (28 N/mm)
Rear = 550 lb/in (96.3 N/mm)

Ohlins R/T
Front = 343 lb/in (60 N/mm)
Rear = 685 lb/in (120 N/mm)

TracTive Touring Line
Front = 137 lb/in initial, 271 lb/in secondary (24 N/mm & 47.5 N/mm)
Rear = 480 lb/in (84 N/mm)

TracTive spring rates seem on the low side. I asked the engineer about this and he said that the DDA valve will firm up to to provide additional spring rate. Let's see if it does what it says.

Last edited by Redd; 03-20-2023 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 4
derbo3608.50
akkando5863.00
wyatth3548.50
DrFerry6728.50
      03-20-2023, 09:34 AM   #9
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep

Agree that the spring rates seem on the low side but I've heard great things from TracTive from a few P car guys. I've been eyeing this kit for myself so I'm really eager to get your feedback.

Especially since you have such a long history with the Ohlins R&T, which is also a kit I've been considering as well. It would be really nice to have functioning EDC so I have high hopes for the TracTive setup.

Edit: I may have missed it, but are you going to use the stock top mounts as they suggest or do camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 10:18 AM   #10
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Got a reply from TracTive on spring rates.

Stock
Front = 160 lb/in (28 N/mm)
Rear = 550 lb/in (96.3 N/mm)

Ohlins R/T
Front = 343 lb/in (60 N/mm)
Rear = 685 lb/in (120 N/mm)

TracTive Touring Line
Front = 137 lb/in initial, 271 lb/in secondary (24 N/mm & 47.5 N/mm)
Rear = 480 lb/in (84 N/mm)

TracTive spring rates seem on the low side. I asked the engineer about this and he said that the DDA valve will firm up to to provide additional spring rate. Let's see if it does what it says.

Interesting, I wonder what the springs I mentioned earlier are from. Maybe not the touring line.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 05:35 PM   #11
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagob5 View Post
Edit: I may have missed it, but are you going to use the stock top mounts as they suggest or do camber plates?
I will be using it with the Vorshlag plates I had on my Ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 05:37 PM   #12
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Interesting, I wonder what the springs I mentioned earlier are from. Maybe not the touring line.
They may have revised the spring rates. The distributor did tell me I'm getting the latest version. Also the current version no longer has helper springs like the original one did.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 09:36 AM   #13
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
They may have revised the spring rates. The distributor did tell me I'm getting the latest version. Also the current version no longer has helper springs like the original one did.
Figure as much! Some brief research and discussions with Wyatth, the F8x ones also didn't include rear height adjusters in the early iterations.

I'm subscribed to see your observations of the kit.
Appreciate 1
wyatth3548.50
      03-21-2023, 01:00 PM   #14
valve float
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: b6 a4 avant 6sp, e90 M3 6sp

sub'd...

FYI...i contacted US distributor, Inertia Lab, sometime ago and in comparing the factory price ($3600usd) to what they were quoting ($4500usd) didn't line up...i politely questioned them and got the "oh we misquoted you" line...my enthusiasm cooled off afterwards...their quoted price to me as of Feb 27 was $3900usd plus shipping (from EU or TX i'm not certain)...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 05:35 PM   #15
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Wow, those revised (or corrected) rates do seem soft! I somewhat like that given my intended street use, but a surprise nonetheless for an aftermarket offering.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 06:43 PM   #16
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's some pics during the install. It's been taking longer than expected as I had to source for the stock rear spring perches (my Ohlins didn't have them) and the lower one is sold out nationwide. Took me a while to borrow a used set from a friend. Also, I had bought the wrong Powerflex rear strut mounts (10mm) and they needed to be modified to 12mm.

It's also the first time the race shop is installing a TracTive set so they're being extra careful.

The whole kit looks good.

Front:

Rear:

TracTive recommends you mount the ACE g-sensor module as close to centerline of the car and next to the driver if possible. It needs to be mounted to somewhere solid and secure where it can detect the g-forces.

We could not find any space for the sensor module on the center tunnel and the closest place available to mount it was on the floor directly behind the driver seat, as close to center as possible. We used strong double side tape to secure it. TracTive said this position was ok.

Hopefully I'll get the car out in another couple days and can start driving it.

Last edited by Redd; 03-21-2023 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 3
chicagob5256.50
wyatth3548.50
DrFerry6728.50
      03-21-2023, 07:22 PM   #17
MrBlueSkies
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Installation Note
TracTive Touring Line is designed to be plug & Play for E9x M3 EDC. So for those coming from non-EDC (like me), you need to make sure you have the EDC top mounts front & rear which are for 12mm shaft (not the 10mm non-EDC ones).

Also, the following items from stock EDC suspension need to be re-used:
1. Front and rear strut top mounts
2. Rear bump stop and cover
3. Rear top and bottom rubber spring pads

The above items are not included in the TracTive kit and it is a good idea to replace them when installing the new suspension.
Great thread, thanks for posting.

Can anyone please clarify for me the situation with the power flex top mount bushes on EDC? Pretty much all the info I can see says they are not compatible with EDC. Eg if you look at the Turner and/or ECS strut mount pages the only rear mounts shown as compatible with EDC are the genuine BMW ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 07:24 PM   #18
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve float View Post
sub'd...

FYI...i contacted US distributor, Inertia Lab, sometime ago and in comparing the factory price ($3600usd) to what they were quoting ($4500usd) didn't line up...i politely questioned them and got the "oh we misquoted you" line...my enthusiasm cooled off afterwards...their quoted price to me as of Feb 27 was $3900usd plus shipping (from EU or TX i'm not certain)...
I believe all TracTive sets are made to order, so probably shipped from Netherlands. They're a small shop and now involved in some OEM manufacturing and motorsports, so expect long lead times. I ordered early November and it only arrived end Jan, partly due to Xmas and NY holidays.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 07:31 PM   #19
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSkies View Post
Great thread, thanks for posting.

Can anyone please clarify for me the situation with the power flex top mount bushes on EDC? Pretty much all the info I can see says they are not compatible with EDC. Eg if you look at the Turner and/or ECS strut mount pages the only rear mounts shown as compatible with EDC are the genuine BMW ones.
I had the same situation when ordering PF rear strut mounts. The main difference between EDC and non-EDC is that EDC has a 12mm top shaft, and non-EDC is 10mm.

Powerflex has both 10mm and 12mm rear strut mounts, but lists the 12mm as for aftermarket suspensions. When I ordered my PF 10mm rear strut mounts from FCP Euro, I asked and they confirmed that EDC should fit. Guess what, it didn't. Luckily for me, it was easy enough to bore out the metal sleeve to 12mm.

Don't make the same mistake I made. Order the 12mm ones.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2023, 04:06 PM   #20
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I had the same situation when ordering PF rear strut mounts. The main difference between EDC and non-EDC is that EDC has a 12mm top shaft, and non-EDC is 10mm.

Powerflex has both 10mm and 12mm rear strut mounts, but lists the 12mm as for aftermarket suspensions. When I ordered my PF 10mm rear strut mounts from FCP Euro, I asked and they confirmed that EDC should fit. Guess what, it didn't. Luckily for me, it was easy enough to bore out the metal sleeve to 12mm.

Don't make the same mistake I made. Order the 12mm ones.
How odd, I remember it was 14mm EDC, 12mm non-EDC, 10mm non-M when I was buying rear shock upper mounts for my MCS 2WNR.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 06:05 PM   #21
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
How odd, I remember it was 14mm EDC, 12mm non-EDC, 10mm non-M when I was buying rear shock upper mounts for my MCS 2WNR.
https://www.powerflex.co.uk/products...ab-2843/1.html

Position #16 - There's a 10mm and 12mm one.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 08:24 PM   #22
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
https://www.powerflex.co.uk/products...ab-2843/1.html

Position #16 - There's a 10mm and 12mm one.
2018 Derbo seems to think 14mm EDC, 12mm non-EDC, 10mm non-M and aftermarket only supports 12 and 10mm options which is inline with the listing you linked.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...48&postcount=6
Appreciate 0