BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
ghassanm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Time for a Suspension Replacement

My car is at 125k now and still on the stock suspension. I think its getting to be about time to replace it.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what they would replace to get the car back to a like new suspension?

Shocks
Springs
Bushing
Bearing
ball joints
etc...

maybe with what aftermarket parts they would recommend as well?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghassanm3 View Post
My car is at 125k now and still on the stock suspension. I think its getting to be about time to replace it.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what they would replace to get the car back to a like new suspension?

Shocks
Springs
Bushing
Bearing
ball joints
etc...

Thanks
Everything you mentioned, but maybe not bearings if they arent causing issues

Upper and lower control arms
Tie rods
Tension strut arms for the front
Sway bar links
Sway bar bushings
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

I don't agree with the above list. The factory spherical bushings and sway bar end links should be fine if the rubber seals are still intact. The front tension arm could use a spherical bushing to replace the factory rubber one. Your springs are fine unless you want something like a set of Swift Spec R. You can check you sway bar bushings by hand to determine if there is play in them. Your shocks could definitely be replaced with some fresh ones or even upgraded ones. You may want to consider rear diff bushings since they can lead to issues with the rear subframe.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #4
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
I don't agree with the above list. The factory spherical bushings and sway bar end links should be fine if the rubber seals are still intact. The front tension arm could use a spherical bushing to replace the factory rubber one. Your springs are fine unless you want something like a set of Swift Spec R. You can check you sway bar bushings by hand to determine if there is play in them. Your shocks could definitely be replaced with some fresh ones or even upgraded ones. You may want to consider rear diff bushings since they can lead to issues with the rear subframe.
OP is at 125k with stock suspension, you would not replace the cheap $60 dollar end links and $13 bushings? Springs are cheap and can be had at the forums for like $200/set with minimal miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 03:41 AM   #5
shrimp_chips
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 ZCP

I'd check to see what if anything needs replacing before spending money. Sitting for long periods usually kills rubber bits. I'm pretty sure your engine mounts are gone if you haven't replaced it already. Buy my JRZ RS1 coilover too
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
ghassanm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Everything you mentioned, but maybe not bearings if they arent causing issues

Upper and lower control arms
Tie rods
Tension strut arms for the front
Sway bar links
Sway bar bushings
Thank you sir!

I found this refresh kit https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3...its/ES2986452/ has anyone used this/have any recommendations on it?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you sir!

I found this refresh kit https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3...its/ES2986452/ has anyone used this/have any recommendations on it?
You probably don't need to replace every part listed on ECS, like the ABS bracket. TRW is a good brand though
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #8
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OP is at 125k with stock suspension, you would not replace the cheap $60 dollar end links and $13 bushings? Springs are cheap and can be had at the forums for like $200/set with minimal miles.
I've never heard of or experienced stock end links wearing out or getting any play in them. A broken stock end link is a different situation. Aftermarket end links with polyurethane bushings or unsealed spherical bushings do have issues over time. Do you have any proof of a stock end link wearing out? The rear sway bar bushings are on top of the rear subframe so they aren't the easiest to change, but one can disconnect the sway bar end links and try to wiggle and slide the sway bar to determine if there is measurable play in them before proceeding with a labor intensive replacement. If his springs were wearing out they would sag and make his car lower than stock. I can't say that hasn't happened because I haven't seen or inspected his car, but it would be realitively easy to check before buying replacements. A little time spent inspecting his components could save some money and a lot of install time. If the OP outsources labor, then it could save a lot more.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #9
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
Quote:
I've never heard of or experienced stock end links wearing out or getting any play in them. A broken stock end link is a different situation. Aftermarket end links with polyurethane bushings or unsealed spherical bushings do have issues over time. Do you have any proof of a stock end link wearing out? The rear sway bar bushings are on top of the rear subframe so they aren't the easiest to change, but one can disconnect the sway bar end links and try to wiggle and slide the sway bar to determine if there is measurable play in them before proceeding with a labor intensive replacement. If his springs were wearing out they would sag and make his car lower than stock. I can't say that hasn't happened because I haven't seen or inspected his car, but it would be realitively easy to check before buying replacements. A little time spent inspecting his components could save some money and a lot of install time. If the OP outsources labor, then it could save a lot more.
Actually yeah I do. My end links were worn such that when going over slow bumps, it klunks pretty loud. First time I changed them they showed no torn rubber seals. The last time I changed it, the pass side had a very bad tear and obvious leak, along with some dirt mixed in.
I have about the same mileage on my vehicle as OP and just refreshed my entire suspension when i hit 100k this past spring...not to mentioned I replaced most if not all the parts I listed and what OP asked about. A broken end link will definitely make obvious sounds.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
ghassanm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Actually yeah I do. My end links were worn such that when going over slow bumps, it klunks pretty loud. First time I changed them they showed no torn rubber seals. The last time I changed it, the pass side had a very bad tear and obvious leak, along with some dirt mixed in.
I have about the same mileage on my vehicle as OP and just refreshed my entire suspension when i hit 100k this past spring...not to mentioned I replaced most if not all the parts I listed and what OP asked about. A broken end link will definitely make obvious sounds.
I am going to outsource labor as I dont have the tools or experience needed to replace these items on my own.

Also I do hear weird clunk from my driver side front suspension when I am going up my driveway so I am guessing it could be an end link.

Taking the car in for an oil change tomorrow. I will have them inspect the suspension and give me some recommendations.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #11
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Shocks
Springs
Bushing
Bearing
ball joints
etc...

Thanks
Is this something to do when the car is up their age (even as a highway DD, with minimal redlining, etc) or more so because a car has been tracked?
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #12
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPLV View Post
Is this something to do when the car is up their age (even as a highway DD, with minimal redlining, etc) or more so because a car has been tracked?
Honestly, it really depends. You could drive cross country tomorrow with brand new components and something fails at 800 miles. Or, rack up 100k miles / year because you drive to disney world every week and nothing happens.

Worst case scenario, you drive in NYC where these shit roads eat your tires, rims, and suspension on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #13
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, it really depends. You could drive cross country tomorrow with brand new components and something fails at 800 miles. Or, rack up 100k miles / year because you drive to disney world every week and nothing happens.

Worst case scenario, you drive in NYC where these shit roads eat your tires, rims, and suspension on a daily basis.
Haha, thats why I drove a beater 330Ci on the East Coast, and upgraded to an M3 on the West Coast.
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #14
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I live in Florida where the roads aren't as bad as NY. The rough roads do put more strain on the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #15
ghassanm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just preventative and to get back the original feel of the car. I am the 3rd owner but as far as I know the car has never been tracked. It still drives great, but for some reason I feel my E46 was more nimble around turns, so I am hoping a new suspension will help with that.
Appreciate 1
SDPLV493.00
      11-12-2016, 01:27 AM   #16
Emm Tree
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 bro

Don't refresh. Ohlins R/T and never look back.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #17
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Thank you sir!

you could easily do a "refresh" yourself within that budget and come up with a better than oem setup. do you track your car at all? have any track aspirations, or do you just want to drive on the street?
      11-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #18
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Just preventative and to get back the original feel of the car. I am the 3rd owner but as far as I know the car has never been tracked. It still drives great, but for some reason I feel my E46 was more nimble around turns, so I am hoping a new suspension will help with that.
I'm in a similar situation, with 110K on my E90. Likely going with some after market coil overs (not exactly sure which yet) for shocks and springs. Will also be getting some camber plates. Had camber plates in my old E36 and that changed the feel considerably. As for the other pieces will replace tension arm bushing with spherical bearing. Not sure if I will replace arm or not. Will get better feel when I put on winter wheels in the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #19
ghassanm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
you could easily do a "refresh" yourself within that budget and come up with a better than oem setup. do you track your car at all? have any track aspirations, or do you just want to drive on the street?

Havent been to the track and probably wont be going anytime soon. Just want the car to drive like it did when it was new.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #20
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Havent been to the track and probably wont be going anytime soon. Just want the car to drive like it did when it was new.
Honest question, how does it drive differently than new? Answering that objectively may lead to what you need to replace to achieve you goal.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 04:21 PM   #21
rockitman07
Frequent reader, seldom poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2021 G05 X5 45e

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Reviving this as I'm thinking of doing the same. 1st owner for an '08 with 160k miles here and want that magic back

Did you end up having a shop replace the parts? Did you do all or only what they recommended?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 05:01 PM   #22
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitman07 View Post
Reviving this as I'm thinking of doing the same. 1st owner for an '08 with 160k miles here and want that magic back

Did you end up having a shop replace the parts? Did you do all or only what they recommended?

Thanks!
I had a shop do a suspension refresh this fall, e90 m3 with 110k miles at the time. A trusted friend evaluated the struts and didn't feel they needed to be replaced. I bought the TRW kit to replace all the control arms - front and back on FCP Euro and my indie shop did all the work for about $800. Notably tighter and some parking lot speed looseness and clicking of the wheel is gone. Glad I did it but if I was cost conscious, I would do a more limited replacement as described in some of the posts above.

Don't forget the alignment after or during, like I did.
Appreciate 2