BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
dan6470
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

New I-drive interface with refresh

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135531

So now that rumors of the 3er getting the new iDrive in the refresh are surfacing....How long do you guys think it will be before the M3 will see it?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Probably not soon (if it does).

The E92 will get it for 2010.... maybe a mid cycle update for the M3? Hard to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

I agree as well 2010
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

New I-drive interface with refresh

wonder if the '09 m3 will get it as well? if so, it is a pity they didn't just debut it with the 08 m3. that would have been sweet.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
wonder if the '09 m3 will get it as well? if so, it is a pity they didn't just debut it with the 08 m3. that would have been sweet.
I wouldn't want it in the M3, its a new interface it'll have its issues and I rather them get it resolved in a other car and not my M3, the current Idrive still has issues and thats why it needs constant updates. I'm not anti Idrive, U think its the best interface of all the cars who have similar systems

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
I am liking it! After driving a loaner 335 with I-Drive, I would hope to see some major improvements. The current system is horrible!

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I hope I don't get flamed for saying this but does it look like BMW are coping everything that Audi come out with, first was their version of awd called X-Drive, then DSG or should I call it M-DCT and now we have a i-Drive that is very similar to Audi MMI.

It's great to see it because after working with Audi's MMI in the S5 it really is a much easier setup to work with.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

footie - keep in mind all manufacturers borrow from each other. Audi might not have even built that S5 if it weren't for the E92 (and the CLK to a lesser extent).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I hope I don't get flamed for saying this but does it look like BMW are coping everything that Audi come out with, first was their version of awd called X-Drive, then DSG or should I call it M-DCT and now we have a i-Drive that is very similar to Audi MMI.

It's great to see it because after working with Audi's MMI in the S5 it really is a much easier setup to work with.
First of all let me start by saying that you belong to an Audi forum, still cant figure out what you are doing here.
Now to the point, BMW was the pioneer for the iDrive system (understand the rotating knob) and it has been patented by them. BMW lets Mercedes and Audi use the system for free I am not sure why that is but they probably want to show to haters like you that the system is revolutionary and they are ready to share it with the other leading car builders.
X-drive system is totally different in concept to the Audi quattro and superior handling wise and especially in the dry. Saying why did BMW introduce 4x4 models is like saying why does Audi try and move the engine further back to improve weight distribution since BMW has already achieved 50:50.
And as far as DSG is concerned it is not an entirely new concept because similar systems have been used in some rally cars of the past. Also I am not 100% on this but my dealer tells me DCT is quite different from DSG.
On the innovations front Audi comes a firm third and if my money had to be on it I would probably say the MB is the leader.

p.s. there also rumors circulating in the car world that Audi is going to move to RWD just like Alfa Romeo and Honda are about to do with their premium models....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
footie - keep in mind all manufacturers borrow from each other. Audi might not have even built that S5 if it weren't for the E92 (and the CLK to a lesser extent).
yes, definitely, and audi might not have MMI if it were not for the first i-Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post

yes also true. there is no denying that bmw got ideas from the MMI for this next generation i-Drive, but that is a good thing because MMI is sweet (as you mentioned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
First of all let me start by saying that you belong to an Audi forum, still cant figure out what you are doing here.
i don't know how other users feel, but i think it is good to have different perspective. even if he is an audi lover, no reason why he can't belong here too.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
The more buttons, the better. The technology that tries to make one button do everything is impractical.
      04-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
First of all let me start by saying that you belong to an Audi forum, still cant figure out what you are doing here. Now to the point, BMW was the pioneer for the iDrive system (understand the rotating knob) and it has been patented by them. BMW lets Mercedes and Audi use the system for free I am not sure why that is but they probably want to show to haters like you that the system is revolutionary and they are ready to share it with the other leading car builders.
X-drive system is totally different in concept to the Audi quattro and superior handling wise and especially in the dry. Saying why did BMW introduce 4x4 models is like saying why does Audi try and move the engine further back to improve weight distribution since BMW has already achieved 50:50.
And as far as DSG is concerned it is not an entirely new concept because similar systems have been used in some rally cars of the past. Also I am not 100% on this but my dealer tells me DCT is quite different from DSG.
On the innovations front Audi comes a firm third and if my money had to be on it I would probably say the MB is the leader.

p.s. there also rumors circulating in the car world that Audi is going to move to RWD just like Alfa Romeo and Honda are about to do with their premium models....
First, unless this is suddenly a private forum I don't see what is your issue with anyboby that contributes -not taking anything from- in here, regardless of the car owned.

Second, you sure have a lot of less-than-100%-facts in your "rebuttal" to be in a position to be arguing with anybody.

Third, I like that new iDrive interface.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
gtb75
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman View Post
The more buttons, the better. The technology that tries to make one button do everything is impractical.
+1

Having to go through menus for what should be tied to a button just doesn't make sense... I understand that some of the customization requires menus, but basic functions should always be tied to buttons - especially in a car where doing things by feel (and not taking your eyes off the road) is preferred / safer.

This is why I'm planning to order my car without the tech package... That being said, I may reconsider this decision if the improved iDrive makes it in to the '09 M3's.

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon
Brilliant Silver / Tweed M5 - 229AWHP / 260AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
the_stranger
Captain
India
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
I dont know if I would like the new one. I didn't like Audi's interface and usability. Well, I can't make a point without seeing it.

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

I know that we don't know too much at this point, but for you tech guys, does this seem like something that might be upgradeable? maybe like a software upgrade and then a new i-Drive controller?

i doubt that we will see it until the 2010 M3. still, it would have been nice if it could have debuted on the M3.

to admin: thanks for merging the threads.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #16
st08m3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

I just want to weigh in as someone who has used I Drive for almost 3 years in my 545 (SMG transmission). I find it to be a very easy to use system and to provide improved safety. Once you've got your car set up you rarely use it for anything other than radio and navigation (which i don't use much). I never have to take my eyes off the road to do make radio adjustments. I have seen so many articles bashing iDrive but these are typically on very short term use scenarios where they are tinkering with the everything constantly. That's just not real world use. That being said, when i first got the car it took me a week or two to understand it. Once i did i preferred it to Hondas of the world. BMW's have always been more gadgetty and when they didn't have iDrive people complained about too many buttons.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #17
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

Second, you sure have a lot of less-than-100%-facts in your "rebuttal" to be in a position to be arguing with anybody.
So everything posted on this forum is a fact...please. I am just quoting what my dealer told me, but a lot of the times they are full of s...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So everything posted on this forum is a fact...please. I am just quoting what my dealer told me, but a lot of the times they are full of s...
What you posted is not quite correct, is what I'm saying...

1) About BMW "letting" other manufacturers use their patented iDrive. A very quick search did not show anything close to that, only that in fact the systems are quite different in application, although the concept is similar.

2) BMW's xDrive is comparable to Quattro, not superior. Again, do a search and see for yourself several magazine comparos for your own conclusion. Now, if you add the new Dynamic Performance Control system (DPC) to the xDrive then we are talking, as it is slightly better implementation than even the Honda's SH-AWD. This implementation is so good that the next Quattro system is said to have rear side to side torque distribution as the SH-AWD and xDrive DPC systems.

3) M-DCT and DSG are the same type of transmission (automated dual clutch). Something tells me that your dealer was somehow thinking that either the DCT or DSG was a SMG-type (automated single clutch) of transmission...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #19
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

The new interface looks good: too bad I won't be able to wait another year - likely to '10 - to enjoy it

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #20
ajmbmwweb
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
What you posted is not quite correct, is what I'm saying...

1) About BMW "letting" other manufacturers use their patented iDrive. A very quick search did not show anything close to that, only that in fact the systems are quite different in application, although the concept is similar.

2) BMW's xDrive is comparable to Quattro, not superior. Again, do a search and see for yourself several magazine comparos for your own conclusion. Now, if you add the new Dynamic Performance Control system (DPC) to the xDrive then we are talking, as it is slightly better implementation than even the Honda's SH-AWD. This implementation is so good that the next Quattro system is said to have rear side to side torque distribution as the SH-AWD and xDrive DPC systems.

3) M-DCT and DSG are the same type of transmission (automated dual clutch). Something tells me that your dealer was somehow thinking that either the DCT or DSG was a SMG-type (automated single clutch) of transmission...

i think all that was originally said was that the integrated controller first came on a bmw, then an audi, so there was no "copying" as the original poster said. which is better is a matter of opinion, but whomever says idrive is hard to use either blindly reads magazine reports or hasnt taken more than 5 minutes to learn how to use their 50 grand plus car.

bmw's x-drive may not be "superior" to audi's, but audi has been using the same system for a few decades, while bmw constantly updates their system. (one of the more recent improvements you mention in your post). audi considers an innovation in their quattro to be changing form 50-50, to 40-60.

mdct and dsg are the same insofar as they both shift gears and use 2 clutches. theyre probably very different mechanically. also, we wont know how good dsg actually is until it gets put on one of the audis that actually deserves it. wierd how for so many years they havent put it on a performance audi.

as for the idrive update, it would be odd if a 328i had a better nav system than the brand new m3. i wonder how they will resolve this discrepancy
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #21
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmbmwweb View Post

as for the idrive update, it would be odd if a 328i had a better nav system than the brand new m3. i wonder how they will resolve this discrepancy
yeah, which is why they should have just gotten their act together and released it with the m3 and then let it trickle into the refresh of the regular 3.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #22
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmbmwweb View Post
wierd how for so many years they havent put it on a performance audi.

The real difference between BMW DCT and VWAG DSG is the power and torque max ratings that the transmission can handle. The current DSG is simply too wimpy for any engine with over 250 lbs-ft, while DCT is rated for a max of some 450 lbs-ft and 9000 rpm. It is no coincidence that VWAG is working for almost a copy of the DCT max ratings in the next DSG.

About this iDrive update, I don't see why this could not be included in the MY2009 M3, as it is as well a 3 Series chassis and uses the same electronics network and devices as the rest of the line up. So I doubt that there would be a discrepancy, this is not like the X3 or the Z4 electronics network and devices, which are not common with the 3 Series (iBus vs MOST).

Those vehicles will have to wait until the next complete revamping to even see an iDrive of any form or shape.
Appreciate 0