BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

06-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #23
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
From my understanding, this is kinda pointless. Correct me if im wrong, but the ceramic will only lock in whatever look the paint had before application, not make it look better. This is why everybody does paint correction before application.
Yep. If you apply it over paint that isn't prepped, it won't adhere as well and you are not going to magically make contaminants and scratches vanish.
      06-26-2018, 10:46 PM   #24
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

cQuartz does hide small (very small) scratches a little. However, most won't be hidden.

As far as versions, don't get the UK version if you live in a warmer climate. It flashes too quickly as I recently found out. Had to use ultra fine polish to take care of some streaking and reapply the sealant, leveling and buffing it off almost immediately after application.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #25
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Do you still apply wax every few month even with ceramic coating?
Nope that would be a waste of time haha!
      06-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #26
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

I asked a detail shop point blank: "Does ceramic coating stop bird droppings from etching paint? Yes or no?"

"No"

Then forget it
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 11:51 PM   #27
osukf09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3 ZCP

Fwiw, the consumer grade cquartz is pretty straight forward to apply. Flashes in a 1-4 minute window that you'll adapt to quickly. Takes about an hour. The finished product is impressive, especially the hydrophobicity. Crazy slick.

Def recommend a complete prep/polish beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #28
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I apply this to all of my cars. I like to do this about once every 16-20 months (only one coat of CQuartz.) I'd compare the 12 month mark of the application to a normal car carnauba wax job after 4-5 washes. Beads up still but starting to notice it's not as strong in some locations. I like to top mine off with Hydro2, about 1-2 sprays per panel.

Sure the amount of prep is time consuming, but to take the sprayer to the car and have it be 99% clean without having to scrub the bugs off is totally worth it. And add a foam cannon dwelling and a handwash and it's as good as new. And not to mention able to dry the entire car with a leaf blower. Less touching = Less scratching.

Seems like people like to complain about the process but car washes are ten times more fun when you don't have to crouch down to get the rough spots. Compared to wax, it's less dust, more hydrophobic and it's ALL about prevention. And to take one long ass day to keep the paint in tip top condition rather than span it out once a week is ideal for me.

Car washing for me has gone from once a week to about once every 3 weeks. Anything in between is just gravy or wanting to for a special occasion, or from boredom.

I'd even go so far as to say, if your paint is in decent condition, a simple handwash, claybar, and IPA wipedown before applying is just fine. Sure there may be defects, but a lot better than some half ass wax that only lasts 1-3 months tops. And having to wax every few months, because let's be honest, there's no way any over the counter wax lasts more than 3 months. Collinite, P21, Mothers, nope. And those that want something to protect against bird droppings, well pour acid on anything and see how long it lasts. But the odds are better with a coating than a wax.

I'd like to see a comparison of any $200 wax vs the CQuartz. $50-80 for the kit = pennies a day for protection.

I PRAY for rain, because you can see the effort and completely addicted to beads.

PS: WTF is a sealant??? lol
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #29
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I have a love hate relationship with the CQuartz on my e92. It was applied via a detailer by the previous owner. Appx one year ago(ish). I can't confirm that any maintenance has been done to the coating, i.e. reload or anything like that.

The water still beads exceptionally well and the hydrophobicity is far more noticeable than on my wife's car which only has a synthetic sealant.

That being said, the amount of information out there regarding maintenance and repairs is limited. If you want to address a scratch, or a pint chip, etc... or just want to take the coating off, how do you? There are different schools of thought. Which is the right one?

I have some rock chip's in my clear bra that I'd like to address. But I'll have to remove the clear bra to do it and that will leave half the hood uncoated, which presents some challenges. More of a personal issue.

If you get it professionally installed, you will likely not be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #30
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
I have a love hate relationship with the CQuartz on my e92. It was applied via a detailer by the previous owner. Appx one year ago(ish). I can't confirm that any maintenance has been done to the coating, i.e. reload or anything like that.

The water still beads exceptionally well and the hydrophobicity is far more noticeable than on my wife's car which only has a synthetic sealant.

That being said, the amount of information out there regarding maintenance and repairs is limited. If you want to address a scratch, or a pint chip, etc... or just want to take the coating off, how do you? There are different schools of thought. Which is the right one?

I have some rock chip's in my clear bra that I'd like to address. But I'll have to remove the clear bra to do it and that will leave half the hood uncoated, which presents some challenges. More of a personal issue.

If you get it professionally installed, you will likely not be disappointed.
Maintenance is kinda of a pain because you have to take extra care in not putting swirls into the paint when you're cleaning cause then it'll raise the question you have about removing them. When I took my car into BMW for the V2 electronic steering wheel, they washed it despite me having told them not to AND having the notice hanging from my rear view mirror. They put in multiple swirls from a careless wash. Im getting it fully wrapped in Xpel in Jan so Im not to concerned. However, to answer your questions, there are specific polishes you can use to remove swirls and sratches from coated surfaces without ruining the coating. But, it depends on the depth of the scratch. Some can be polished out and then reloaded to protect it again while others will require a full cut and buff. To remove the coating, you'll need to wet sand most likely. If your car is coated and you have some areas to address, find a detailer you like and explain what you want. Get a few quotes and go from there. Some will want to wetsand as it'll be a sure way of correcting and removing, but also you have to be careful cause the detailer will also try and upsell you which he should thats his business. Plenty of quality detailers out there, find one Cquartz certified as they are a tight nitch family.
SoCalRPM885.50