BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

First Service Light...

Hey guys, quick question. I just got my first service light and I-drive indicates that its brake fluid. Is that something I can take to an indy or dealership, or is a top-off kind of thing...?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Dealer if your under warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Every two years BMW requires a brake fluid change (this is listed in the owner's manual).

If you're under warranty, or have the extended maintenance contract, it's free. Otherwise, any independent shop can do this. Hell, you can do it yourself at home.

I don't know what the dealer charges...probably one hour of labor.
      04-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Every two years BMW requires a brake fluid change (this is listed in the owner's manual).

If you're under warranty, or have the extended maintenance contract, it's free. Otherwise, any independent shop can do this. Hell, you can do it yourself at home.

I don't know what the dealer charges...probably one hour of labor.
I'm out of warranty..eff

Okay, so its a flush and replace. Didn't know it was listed in owners manual. I got my M awhile back and it's not my DD, so I haven't spent too much quality time with it. So are most of these routine services listed in the owners manual?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
I'm out of warranty..eff

Okay, so its a flush and replace. Didn't know it was listed in owners manual. I got my M awhile back and it's not my DD, so I haven't spent too much quality time with it. So are most of these routine services listed in the owners manual?

Thanks guys

I don't remember if it's the owner's manual or service manual, but the portfolio on the trunk has a bunch of booklets. One of them talks about the service intervals. If you don't have it, you can log into your BMW account and download the manuals.

Routine service is largely handled by the CBS (condition based service/iDrive display), such as engine oil, brake fluid, vehicle inspection, etc. There are a few that are not, for whatever reason, like the differential fluid being changed every 3rd oil change or spark plugs. Also, the CBS doesn't give specifics for some services, such as the air filter needing to be changed with the oil. I think the assumption is that you'd take the car to the dealer every time, which would mean they'd take care of the whole shebang.

When in doubt, consult the service/owners manuals. Many of us opt to be a bit stricter with maintenance and get some things done more often, like oil changes every 7500 instead of 15000.