BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 M3 6spd

full eventuri intake system question

Long story short, I bought the full eventuri intake plenum, elbow and intake cover. Sounds truly amazing, fits ok, looks like it belongs in a museum, however, when installed on the car, there appears to be a noticeable shading difference between the plenum and the rest of the intake, no matter the light source or angle. I voiced my concerns to Eventuri and they told me that it only appears to look different because of the direction of the carbon fiber. They asked that i take it back off the car and take photos under the same light source. When looking at it under the same light source, the pieces appear to look the same, however, at some angles it still looks off. is the carbon fiber really sensitive to lighting and viewing angles or do the pieces indeed look like difference shades? Does anyone else with the full eventuri setup notice the same thing with theirs?

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:01 PM   #2
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Hey, sooo I've worked in an aviation composites shop for a long time and I'm also FAA certified in on wing and off wing composite repairs. Most of what I've worked with is carbon fiber, I'm not an expert but I have a lot of experience.

I think they are full of crap with what they are telling you. Carbon fiber as long as it's real will look the same regardless if the weave pattern, provided they use the same clear coat. Not all clear coats and epoxy resins cute to an absolute clear finish. Very often with less expensive products you'll get a very light brown/yellow finish or they diddnt use a UV resistant resin or clear coat and half of it was exposed to the sun.

My guess is that the parts are made by different suppliers and those suppliers used different finishing products.

I'm 100% sure the light or angle or weave direction has nothing to do with anything if they used the same products and I'm even more certain they used different products between the parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Hey, sooo I've worked in an aviation composites shop for a long time and I'm also FAA certified in on wing and off wing composite repairs. Most of what I've worked with is carbon fiber, I'm not an expert but I have a lot of experience.

I think they are full of crap with what they are telling you. Carbon fiber as long as it's real will look the same regardless if the weave pattern, provided they use the same clear coat. Not all clear coats and epoxy resins cute to an absolute clear finish. Very often with less expensive products you'll get a very light brown/yellow finish or they diddnt use a UV resistant resin or clear coat and half of it was exposed to the sun.

My guess is that the parts are made by different suppliers and those suppliers used different finishing products.

I'm 100% sure the light or angle or weave direction has nothing to do with anything if they used the same products and I'm even more certain they used different products between the parts.
Thanks lakesurfer. I agree, i think the resin may differ between the different parts. the pictures i took when off the car have me second guessing my self as the pieces appear to match when all the pieces are equally lit.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Different thickness of resin will also affect how light plays off the part. But seriously, aren't you taking OCD to a whole new level? Even the Carbon on a Pagani Zonda looks like a different color at different angles.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

carbon fiber weave will reflect light differently if it is going different angles. look at the light and dark areas of the weave. then turn it a different way. its going to look different in the same light source.
      03-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I won't stand for this! You should just give them to me so we can straighten this all out lol. I think it looks amazing on your car, enjoy.
      03-22-2020, 10:02 PM   #7
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Different thickness of resin will also affect how light plays off the part. But seriously, aren't you taking OCD to a whole new level? Even the Carbon on a Pagani Zonda looks like a different color at different angles.
I am OCD and i also expect perfection from an intake that costs several thousand dollars, that being said, the intake is truly a work of art and I really like it. After looking at it from many different angles with different light sources, i am going to say, from my experience with this intake, the shading variance is very sensitive to the angle at which i look at it but overall i think each piece appears to be the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

One thing I like about the Karbonius is the weave all goes the same way. It gives me the fizz.
Attached Images

Silos555.50
      03-22-2020, 11:47 PM   #9
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Judging by the photos OP has provided, it looks like they used another supplier for the carbon twill they used on the intake vs plenum.
You can tell how sharp the one on the plenum is and the intake cover one has a slight roundness to weave.

It could also be the brand/age of resin that is used that might have discoloration to it before it was used to make the covers/intake.

I wouldn't be concerned as Eventuri puts out amazing products and its prepreg carbon so durability is there.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 12:45 AM   #10
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
One thing I like about the Karbonius is the weave all goes the same way. It gives me the fizz.
I was just gonna say the same. My karbonius have no color variation and the weaves are all aligned.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 01:13 AM   #11
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Looks awesome! Maybe different lot's on part runs give a little difference, I actually like the way the weave changes with the indents on top of the plenum and around the snorkel gives it more depth.
      03-23-2020, 04:45 AM   #12
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Return it if you don’t like it....... oh wait
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:35 AM   #13
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
carbon fiber weave will reflect light differently if it is going different angles. look at the light and dark areas of the weave. then turn it a different way. its going to look different in the same light source.
the reflection will make it look a little different, however, not to the point of the OP's pictures. the pics show that the individual parts have slightly different tints to them.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #14
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I haven't seen a Zonda in person but i have been fortunate enough to see a couple Huayra's and i can assure you, at least on the cars I've seen, the weave lines up perfectly from panel to panel and there is absolutely zero difference in color, reflection and overall looks from panel to panel. they look like they are all made from 1 continuous roll of carbon.

a couple of his parts have a very faint light brown tint to them. this has nothing to do with the weave and everything to do with the finishing materials or the resin that was used. I believe they use prepreg so either the suppliers are different and use different resin in the cloth or the clear coats are different.

different clear coats will perfectly match in certain lights and be completely off from each other in other light.

I guess another possibility would be that, clear coats are 2 parts (A and B), perhaps when they cleared one part they may have used more of part A (or B) than the other parts. the brown(ish) tint could be from the clear curing to fast, AKA to much hardener.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #15
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

How much is this kit? I’d be bothered enough to return or ask for a replacement. I’m guessing most people buy this for looks as well as sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #16
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche959 View Post
How much is this kit? I’d be bothered enough to return or ask for a replacement. I’m guessing most people buy this for looks as well as sound.
This kit is around $3500. I am going to ask for a replacement. After researching this more, i have found that in the light, the carbon fiber twill appears to match, however, when not in direct light, I can the actual resin, and the shading of the resin does not appear to be the same on the plenum compared to the intake cover and elbow. Since the plenum and intake cover are brand new, and the intake cover appears to match the elbow which is about a 11 months old, i would think the issue is with the plenum finish. i looked at other pictures from other eventuri reviews and none appear to look "off" like mine appears to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #17
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3s65 View Post
This kit is around $3500. I am going to ask for a replacement. After researching this more, i have found that in the light, the carbon fiber twill appears to match, however, when not in direct light, I can the actual resin, and the shading of the resin does not appear to be the same on the plenum compared to the intake cover and elbow. Since the plenum and intake cover are brand new, and the intake cover appears to match the elbow which is about a 11 months old, i would think the issue is with the plenum finish. i looked at other pictures from other eventuri reviews and none appear to look "off" like mine appears to be.
This might be a "problem" with all the kits though. You better find out if you need a replacement or a refund. I know Matt at Obsessed Garage Money2536 has it, maybe he could tell you if it matches on his car or not.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1635323
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #18
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
This might be a "problem" with all the kits though. You better find out if you need a replacement or a refund. I know Matt at Obsessed Garage Money2536 has it, maybe he could tell you if it matches on his car or not.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1635323
I already compared Matt's Pictures to mine. At least from the pictures his system appears to match, however, i have not reached out to him yet to confirm his experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #19
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep

From your pictures alone, I am just not seeing it. I can certainly relate, because if it bothered me enough to post on the forum about it, I would certainly want to return it.

Someone on the forum would definitely buy it off you should they not accept the return.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #20
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
From your pictures alone, I am just not seeing it. I can certainly relate, because if it bothered me enough to post on the forum about it, I would certainly want to return it.

Someone on the forum would definitely buy it off you should they not accept the return.
To me the plenum looks like it has a whitish hue, whereas the intake box looks to have a brownish/orange color at certain angles.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #21
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Eventuri offers the best support that I have personally seen in the aftermarket business. Eventuri’s head engineer is already looking into this matter and will contact the original poster shortly.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 02:44 AM   #22
M3anest
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Same, I tried to replace an elbow from Karbonius and they had me send the whole thing so I get matching weave. Sound is truly amazing.
Appreciate 0