BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
wakebrdr1
PO1NT BY
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Exhaust question

Hello all, haven't found a good answer/option to my question:

I run the Dinan Performance exhaust and tune, but I would like to add a mid-pipe cat delete with a resonator. I am looking for more performance and sound but not rasp/drone. Dinan no longer offers the mid-pipe or related tune, because as a company they have become such conservative rule-followers that they won't even offer their own products anymore. Yeah, they suck.

I digress. Is there an option to replace my mid-pipe with a cat delete that doesn't remove my existing Dinan software? My concern is that the existing software accounts for my Dinan exhaust, intake and underdrive pulley. Any direction would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

A tune is not necessary when modifing an exhaust.

Removing the cats will give you more power but also a check engine light and more smell from the exhaust. The stock xpipe has 2 primary and 2 secondary cats that you would be removing. There are many xpipe options that have 2 or 4 resonators. I have one that has 4 resonators. There is more rasp for sure anytime you remove the cats but the resonators help. The non resonated xpipes have a ton of rasp which is why I went with a quad resonated xpipe.

I say buy a dual or quad resonated xpipe, install, and enjoy.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
wakebrdr1
PO1NT BY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post

Removing the cats will give you more power but also a check engine light and more smell from the exhaust. The stock xpipe has 2 primary and 2 secondary cats that you would be removing. There are many xpipe options that have 2 or 4 resonators. I have one that has 4 resonators. There is more rasp for sure anytime you remove the cats but the resonators help. The non resonated xpipes have a ton of rasp which is why I went with a quad resonated xpipe.

Thanks for the insight! My concern is coding out the removal of the cats. Is there a way to do that without overwriting my Existing Dinan software?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

I have a Akrapovic Delete R that will remove any codes while running catless. However, you won't get any codes if there are problems with your TA for example. I'm running a Alpine tune and had actually converted from a Dinan tune. Big difference and well worth the money to switch. I'll sell you the Delete R since I'm not using it with the Evo exhaust and Alpine tune I have. Send me a PM if interested and we can work out the details.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr1 View Post
Thanks for the insight! My concern is coding out the removal of the cats. Is there a way to do that without overwriting my Existing Dinan software?
You are better off with a different tuning company anyways. Dinan tunes are not very highly regarded in this chassis.
wfdeacon881102.50
      03-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
You would need another tune to code out the cel. Only code out if you live in a state without state inspection however. Otherwise your monitors will never go to ready and you will fail emissions testing. I simply put rear O2 spacers and have yet to get a cel. I do anticipate getting one here and there but I have Carly in the car to check for codes if a cel is to ever come on. Spacers can be had for 10$ or so. Can run them and decide to change tune down the road.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 03:41 AM   #7
rks68rt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Dinan ZCP Black DCT

I was able to find a used dinan midpipe 2 years ago on this forum and was able to talk Dinan into letting me have the MX midpipe tune just before they discontinued that tune altogether.
I consider myself one of the lucky ones to lock down the last of the Dinan era.
Unfortunately, Dinan is no longer what it used to be......
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 04:16 AM   #8
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

There are still vendors who sell the dinan catless race tune
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
wakebrdr1
PO1NT BY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You would need another tune to code out the cel. Only code out if you live in a state without state inspection however. Otherwise your monitors will never go to ready and you will fail emissions testing. I simply put rear O2 spacers and have yet to get a cel. I do anticipate getting one here and there but I have Carly in the car to check for codes if a cel is to ever come on. Spacers can be had for 10$ or so. Can run them and decide to change tune down the road.
Thanks! Can you point me toward info about these "o2 spacers"? Can't beat a $10 solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
wakebrdr1
PO1NT BY
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Which midpipe are you running with the 4 resonators?
Appreciate 0