BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

04-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #23
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqsmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Microfilters are connected to the brake flush, done every 2 years regardless of mileage.
Annual oil services are done, regardless of mileage.
Differential and manual transmission fluids are connected to the 3rd oil service by mileage.
Spark plugs are done at 37k on the M3, I believe.
I called my dealership, and immediately, my SA started quoting parts plus labor. Why is it so hard to get things covered when it is clearly included in the "free maintenance" program. Unreal. They ordered the filters, but I'm not bringing my car in unless they tell me I will not owe.

My car is 2011, have 25k miles. It's been more than 2 years since my purchase so it's overdue. Had to dig up the Service and Warranty INformation manual to make sure it SHOULD be covered.
The car should be calling for it by CBS. When you start the car is there not an indicator that service is due? It's based off the production date of the car and you're definitely in the free maintenance window by time and mileage.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #24
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
The car should be calling for it by CBS. When you start the car is there not an indicator that service is due? It's based off the production date of the car and you're definitely in the free maintenance window by time and mileage.

nah, no sign or anything. i only check for the oil change due miles basically. the car will be 3 years old in August. it should have popped up last august.

just frustrating to hear how much it's going to be when I can easily buy the filter and change them out for much less. at this point, i'm not worried about the filter, but the brake fluid flush. that should have been done months ago. it's weird why those two things are tied together.

EDIT: just checked the CBS on the car. Brake fluid indicates 7/2014. That's 3 years from car's production date. Manual states MIcrofilter: "Replace ventilation microfilter every 2 years based on the vehicle production date, or in connection with scheduled brake fluid change." So, I interpret this as you can get replacement between 2nd anniversary or with brake fluid change on the 3rd anniversary. SA has vin and should have history of vehicle. It's well under the end of free maintenance warranty, he shouldn't even bring up how much.

btw, there's no CBS for microfilters, just 1.service requirements(i don't know what this entails, just shows the car up on a lift) 2.Engine Oil 3. State-required safety inspection 4. Front brake pads 5. Rear brake pads 6. Brake fluid.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.

Last edited by jqsmooth; 04-07-2014 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #25
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Correct, there is no separate CBS indicator for the microfilters. It is connected to the brake fluid on 2 year intervals. Perhaps your car has had a software update in the past and that altered the calculation? The only other option is someone reset it when they serviced the car in the past on accident. There are other things that don't have indicators also. Spark plugs, differential oil and transmission oil (6MT only). Those are connected to the 3rd and 4th oil changes I believe. Either way your car is overdue and the dealership can do the services based on mileage if they haven't been done. Your advisor can check your warranty coverage and previous service done at any dealership very easily, without you or your car present. Even a rookie advisor should know that!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #26
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Correct, there is no separate CBS indicator for the microfilters. It is connected to the brake fluid on 2 year intervals. Perhaps your car has had a software update in the past and that altered the calculation? The only other option is someone reset it when they serviced the car in the past on accident. There are other things that don't have indicators also. Spark plugs, differential oil and transmission oil (6MT only). Those are connected to the 3rd and 4th oil changes I believe. Either way your car is overdue and the dealership can do the services based on mileage if they haven't been done. Your advisor can check your warranty coverage and previous service done at any dealership very easily, without you or your car present. Even a rookie advisor should know that!
Thanks. Glad I found this thread. I'm sure people who don't know or don't care paid good money to have their filters changed. It's like mail-in rebates, they expect you not to mail it in. Why must we fight tooth and nail to get stuff covered when we already paid for them?

You know, it's funny he mentioned how it won't matter where I take the car while I was talking to him on the phone. Maybe I will take it somewhere else. Then, they won't get my 30k service which I know has lots of service work they can bill BMW.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0