BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
qbnlykwhoa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Engine tapping 3-4k under acceleration

I did search but couldn't find anything as specific as the issue I'm experiencing.

I've recently started to hear what sounds to be tapping from the engine under hard acceleration only. It happens between 3-4k RPM's and only when I'm really getting on it. The sound is pretty consistent and happens pretty much every time during the same scenario. After 4k RPM the sound goes away and everything sounds normal. If I'm driving normally it does not happen. If I gun it anywhere above 4k it does not happen.

I tired revving the car stationary and the sound does not seem to happen. Only seems to happen under load.

It's also much easier to hear with the windows up then the windows down as the sound of the engine/exhaust drown out any other sounds.

I do have an exclusionary aftermarket warranty till 120k miles that pretty much covers bumper to bumper if it comes down to something serious that should cover most engine issues.

I plan on changing all fluids and plugs withing the next few weeks but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with anything similar or had any idea what it could possibly be.

**EDIT**

Found a video on youtube that sounds exactly like what I'm hearing and he also has a AFE drop in filter.
You can hear what sounds like tapping right at 0:05 and through the rest of the video when he revs lower in the RPM range.
Probably like the 3-4k area too just like mine.

Thanks

Last edited by qbnlykwhoa; 02-07-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

I see you are in NJ, I'd take it by ACM and let them have a look. Might be something innocuous like a wheel bearing, something trapped in your brakes etc.

If it sounds like this, you may have a serious problem and I'd get it taken in on a trailer.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
qbnlykwhoa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I see you are in NJ, I'd take it by ACM and let them have a look. Might be something innocuous like a wheel bearing, something trapped in your brakes etc.

If it sounds like this, you may have a serious problem and I'd get it taken in on a trailer.

Thanks for the response.

It's def more of a high pitched tap and that video sounds like it's making that sound at Idle. For me it only happen under load, under hard accel, and only between 3-4k. I think will prob be taking it to them for an alignment next weekend and will have them take a hear.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Any changes to the intake filter at all? My always made a pretty clear "flutter" noise between 3-4k at fair throttle. Seems to be quite common, and worse with some of the after market filters.
(I run OEM, initially tried to get rid of the flutter but followed me for 4 years and a number of filter changes).

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
qbnlykwhoa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Any changes to the intake filter at all? My always made a pretty clear "flutter" noise between 3-4k at fair throttle. Seems to be quite common, and worse with some of the after market filters.
(I run OEM, initially tried to get rid of the flutter but followed me for 4 years and a number of filter changes).

Cheers
Hmmmm, I recently did install a AA Green Filter, threw the old one out tho . Is it the air rushing in causing the flutter or some type of vibration? That thing was in there pretty tight!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbnlykwhoa View Post
Hmmmm, I recently did install a AA Green Filter, threw the old one out tho . Is it the air rushing in causing the flutter or some type of vibration? That thing was in there pretty tight!
Not sure mate. At the beginning I was trying my best to get it fixed but realised it is what it is, not a big thing though as long as you can confirm its only the intake. Give it a search, you'll find plenty on the subject so far from alone.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
qbnlykwhoa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Not sure mate. At the beginning I was trying my best to get it fixed but realised it is what it is, not a big thing though as long as you can confirm its only the intake. Give it a search, you'll find plenty on the subject so far from alone.
Thank you, found a few posts about it.
Might try a re-install and swapping in a OEM filter to see if the sound goes away or changes.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, found a few posts about it.
Might try a re-install and swapping in a OEM filter to see if the sound goes away or changes.
Give it a try, and pls report back, curious about the outcome!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 12:56 AM   #9
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Seems like you're referring to the normal intake resonance. It's less muffled with an aftermarket filter/intake.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #10
qbnlykwhoa
Private First Class
Rep

Found a video that shows the exact sound I'm experiencing.
Updated the first post but here it is again to bump it up.
You here it at his first rev at around 0:05...
I can sleep better at night now knowing that my engine isn't going to blow up.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #11
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Found a video that shows the exact sound I'm experiencing.
Updated the first post but here it is again to bump it up.
You here it at his first rev at around 0:05...
I can sleep better at night now knowing that my engine isn't going to blow up.
There you have it. OEM doesn't sound as much by far but still produce noise unddr load around 3.5k.
Appreciate 0