BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

01-02-2018, 06:03 AM   #45
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

BT streaming from phone into the Android unit works fine. You do lose some sound quality via the Aux channel but fiddling with the equalizer (on both the iDrive and in the Android unit) does help some.

Glad to report that RaceChrono works wonderfully running on the unit!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #46
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Recently got this TPMS system for my Android head unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...807492495.html

I got the internal sensors. Works well with the Android unit but polling frequency is a bit low. Still, great to have for some early warning of a flat tire. I put the USB receiver dongle in the glovebox, connected to one of the USB ports connected to the Android unit.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:57 PM   #47
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

There's also a software update for the Android unit that greatly improves stability as well as spiffs up the interface (Dashboard) and adds the new NBT EVO ID6 GUI.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #48
gaz_0001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2012 DCT ZCP

This looks great, but the thing that concerns me is the fact it is connected via the Aux cable.

Surely, the sound quality will be poor when you are streaming Bluetooth to the Head Unit and then, audio over the aux??
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #49
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Sound quality is poorer than direct BT streaming to iDrive, but not poor per se. Depends on your tolerance.

You can still stream direct to iDrive if sound quality is a major concern.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #50
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

It usually will fit thru the door. I just keep it in my pocket
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #51
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I’m interested in this. Seems to be a good upgrade if coming from a CCC unit.

I will be using this with an iPhone. Does anyone have video of how Apple Carplay works with this? Is it a hardwired Apple Carplay? Or wireless Carplay? Can I listen to music via Carplay while navigating Waze at the same time via the Android HU? Or do I just have the BT stream music from my iPhone to the HU to use Waze at the same time.

On the AvinUSA website... I’m guessing I just need
- the GPS splitter so the Android HU can use the existing GPS antenna?
- Apple Carplay adapter... I’m guessing this means that Carplay is hardwired... so it will charge as well right?
- back up camera... so that includes the back camera I am guessing? Or I still need to get an OE one?

Any socal shops that can install this? I have a feeling trying to explain to any audio shop that they need to cut the plastic housing and solder the GPS wire directly to the circuit board will have them very very confused.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #52
Inflame
Private
Rep
Drives: 95 m3

I didn't realize instructions were sent in a separate email, was fighting a no sound issue. Make sure you transfer the optical cable from the old connector to the new connector!

Also, audio quality is sub-par via AUX. I have white noise pumping through my speakers even using a high quality cable.

I ordered a ground loop isolator off amazon, will be here friday, i'll let you guys know if it helps!

Last edited by Inflame; 01-24-2018 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #53
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post

I will be using this with an iPhone. Does anyone have video of how Apple Carplay works with this? Is it a hardwired Apple Carplay? Or wireless Carplay? Can I listen to music via Carplay while navigating Waze at the same time via the Android HU? Or do I just have the BT stream music from my iPhone to the HU to use Waze at the same time.

- Apple Carplay adapter... I’m guessing this means that Carplay is hardwired... so it will charge as well right?
- back up camera... so that includes the back camera I am guessing? Or I still need to get an OE one?

Any socal shops that can install this? I have a feeling trying to explain to any audio shop that they need to cut the plastic housing and solder the GPS wire directly to the circuit board will have them very very confused.
Can't help you on the CarPlay portion, sorry. There is no cutting and soldering required. The GPS splitter just splits the original car GPS antenna into two outputs to connect to your original iDrive and the Android head unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #54
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflame View Post
I didn't realize instructions were sent in a separate email, was fighting a no sound issue. Make sure you transfer the optical cable from the old connector to the new connector!

Also, audio quality is sub-par via AUX. I have white noise pumping through my speakers even using a high quality cable.

I ordered a ground loop isolator off amazon, will be here friday, i'll let you guys know if it helps!
I used the Aux cable that came with the Android head unit. No white noise. Sound quality not as good as direct BT streaming to iDrive though.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #55
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflame View Post

I used the Aux cable that came with the Android head unit. No white noise. Sound quality not as good as direct BT streaming to iDrive though.
I wonder if adding an inline preamp would help.

My current setup has my iPhone plugged in to aux with an audioquest dragonfly red which is a small portable USB DAC/ Amp. In this case I'm using it for its DAC and as a preamp.

For the past year this setup sounded superior to the same songs on CD.

However in the last month I've been getting increased static interference that causes the phone to think it's disconnected which stops the music.

I'm thinking being plugged in for so long caused a static electricity build up... probably needs some kind of ground loop isolator to discharge the static.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #56
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:

Can't help you on the CarPlay portion, sorry. There is no cutting and soldering required. The GPS splitter just splits the original car GPS antenna into two outputs to connect to your original iDrive and the Android head unit.
Good to know no cutting or soldering.

In one of the references videos earlier in the thread the person showed that he cut the plastic corners as well as reposition the gps wire directly onto the circuit board to get the unit to fit flush due to difference in HVAC between 5 series and 3 series.

So you're saying these issues have been fixed?

Will await feedback on how CarPlay works.

Btw is Bluetooth audio streaming via Aptx?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #57
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

In one of the references videos earlier in the thread the person showed that he cut the plastic corners as well as reposition the gps wire directly onto the circuit board to get the unit to fit flush due to difference in HVAC between 5 series and 3 series.

I'm not sure where you saw the cutting and soldering, but the Android unit I got was specific for E9x M3 CIC. It's direct plug and play. Zero cutting soldering, and 100% reversible.

You can BT stream music two ways. 1) BT stream direct to original iDrive (assuming you had that feature before), or 2) BT stream thru the Android head unit.

#1 gives better sound quality but you cannot run Aux at the same time, so no audio output from Android (Waze, etc) while you're listening to music.

#2 will be via Aux. Downside is sound quality is poorer than direct to iDrive, but you can hear all android apps (Waze, Google Maps) at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #58
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure where you saw the cutting and soldering, but the Android unit I got was specific for E9x M3 CIC. It's direct plug and play. Zero cutting soldering, and 100% reversible.

You can BT stream music two ways. 1) BT stream direct to original iDrive (assuming you had that feature before), or 2) BT stream thru the Android head unit.

#1 gives better sound quality but you cannot run Aux at the same time, so no audio output from Android (Waze, etc) while you're listening to music.

#2 will be via Aux. Downside is sound quality is poorer than direct to iDrive, but you can hear all android apps (Waze, Google Maps) at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnAge View Post
Something ive found as well.

Found it in this video.... it's a loooooong video that can definitely be shorter but it's in there.

I'll be upgrading from a ccc unit. Maybe the ccc housing is a little different like in the video.

I don't have Bluetooth streaming and listening to my iPhone through the aux input has been getting problematic recently which is why I'm considering this setup.

Btw if you Bluetooth stream to your android... will the music menu be able to select your albums and artist as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 02:05 AM   #59
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Ah ok. Mine is CIC.

BT streaming to Android, you only get track name. No artist name and no album art. But steering wheel controls all work.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #60
SMG M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 6MT

Have an android unit in my Mercedes e55 took 3 days to install no lie had to move air compressors, lines, hoses, and everything else to get it hooked up to amp in truck then run back to front. They work well but all have there issues. Although watching Thursday night football is cool in traffic lol
      02-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #61
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

The one we have here is pretty much plug and play. Uses all original connectors. Just need to route cables for USB+CarPlay ports into glovebox, and Aux cable to Aux port in the arm rest. Mine was installed in 2 hours.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #62
303e90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jerez on Black e90 M3

Has anyone else tried using an inline preamp to improve the audio quality when streaming? I just ordered an 8.8" unit to replace the CCC in my e90 and am worried I will not be satisfied with the sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 11:47 PM   #63
e36mcab
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e36mcab

Do the dynamic parking lines function with 6 speed manual transmissions?

Did you follow these instructions?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17vj...p8qoiE531/view

Guys on the F30/32 are saying the dynamic parking lines are not functioning with manual transmissions.
'95 318ti - Alpine White *Sold*
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #64
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36mcab View Post
Do the dynamic parking lines function with 6 speed manual transmissions?

Did you follow these instructions?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17vj...p8qoiE531/view

Guys on the F30/32 are saying the dynamic parking lines are not functioning with manual transmissions.
I had mine professionally installed and dynamic parking lines all work, but mine is DCT.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 11:34 PM   #65
e36mcab
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e36mcab

Got the answer from Avin USA today...

Dynamic parking lines do not work with manual transmissions for the E90 CCC i-drive.
'95 318ti - Alpine White *Sold*
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #66
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
CCC questions

So got some questions about this.

Currently I have CCC with iPod integration and Bluetooth for phone calls only. I can't blue tooth music. So what I do is hook up my iPhone X to a 30 pin to lightning adapter and the car reads it well. I can read song name etc in screen and it works with amazon audio for track change etc... (nite I have also updated my software with ISTA-P a couple times, so it's up to date).

1. If I install this, will it be all plug and play with my factory six and GPS antenna?

2. I have CCC, so will my audio connect in the back or through AUX. I want Bluetooth audio streaming, but I don't want it streaming through the aux port (have a bmw individual sound system and wanna keep that sound quality).

Will I be able to connect it without using AUX?
I want to use waze and amazon music from my phone through blue tooth to the system. Or download those apps to the system and play the music through the car speakers not using AUX.

3. Does Apple Car Play function with this?

4. What are the downsides ?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0