BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

valvetronic vs ITB throttle response

So I owned a n52 engined e60 and recently have had several 1 and 3 series with the n52 and the valvetronic tech where supposedly the throttle body is left wide-open and the cylinder filling is done at the valve itself as a control so in essence you eliminate the vacuum and pumping losses as well as the delay of getting air from the intake plenum into the cylinder because of having to go through the throttle body partly hopened.

Hypothetically given the air is sitting RIGHT by the valve waiting to flow in, vs ITB the air is still further down the system but still has to pass through its intake runner and to the valve.

Yet the s65 m3 has SO much sharper and instant throttle response and the n52 while good is by no means "instant" like the bmw.

Wondering why in a NA car that valvetronic would not be more sharp and instant in terms of throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Have you driven a valvetronic with a tune its a whole new world bmw had a pretty lazy tune in them. Comparing s65 to these motors is silly all thing wants todo it rev
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

I was just referring to the throttle response, not the ability to rev. I had a sprint booster on my n52 engine and it still was no where near as responsive as the s65. The whole purpose of valvetronic is to be even better than ITB at eliminating pumping losses so there must be more to it such as the high CR etc
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
S65>N52. Thread done! Haha
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
I was just referring to the throttle response, not the ability to rev. I had a sprint booster on my n52 engine and it still was no where near as responsive as the s65. The whole purpose of valvetronic is to be even better than ITB at eliminating pumping losses so there must be more to it such as the high CR etc
Throttle response can be affected by a multitude of other factors, in addition to intake system design. Rotating assembly overall mass, compression ratio, bore and stroke, ignition mapping are just some of the contributing factors.

I think that the increased response you've found in the S65 is a result of just that- a systems approach that optimizes each component of the engine to produce an overall superior outcome.