BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
itsnotq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Starting issues

Has anybody ever had the issue of trying to start their car and it clicks? After a few times of trying it'll eventually start? I have a video to see if I can try and upload it. The battery is a year old
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
itsnotq49.00
      11-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #3
itsnotq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
So you think the clicking is the battery needing to be charged? I'll give it a try thank you.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #4
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Sounds like starter, does it take long to crank once it cranks or does it start up fine?
Appreciate 1
itsnotq49.00
      11-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

If your battery is known good, then bad starter/solenoid. bad ground cable, bad B+ cable from battery in order of likelihood. I've had all three happen in various E9x vehicles. Measure voltage at jumper terminal in engine compartment to a ground on the engine and a ground point on the chassis to rule on cable issues.
Appreciate 1
itsnotq49.00
      11-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
75.2mm
@75.2
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
I have same exact issue on my E90 M3.
I thought it was the starter when it occurred for first time, but it turned out to be CAS module for my case.
Apparently CAS module is known issue for old E9X models according to my mechanic.
You can diagnose your car by unplug ground cable from battery when issue occurs and plug back to see if car starts fine.
If you are lucky, you can resolve this issue by simply unplug CAS module harness and clean them. if this method doesn't work, you have to replace CAS module i believe...
Appreciate 1
itsnotq49.00
      11-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #7
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgahn0325 View Post
I thought it was the starter when it occurred for first time, but it turned out to be CAS module for my case.
Apparently CAS module is known issue for old E9X models according to my mechanic.
You can diagnose your car by unplug ground cable from battery when issue occurs and plug back to see if car starts fine.
If you are lucky, you can resolve this issue by simply unplug CAS module harness and clean them. if this method doesn't work, you have to replace CAS module i believe...
OP - If you hear a click (from the solenoid), CAS is not your problem. There is really no question about this. And FWIW, the CAS module is not a "known issue" for E9x vehicles in a general sense or specifically for failure of starter/solenoid activation.

If you don't hear a click from the solenoid, that would be a different situation. When you say "clicking" are you hearing the solenoid or something else?
Appreciate 1
itsnotq49.00
      11-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
75.2mm
@75.2
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
OP - If you hear a click (from the solenoid), CAS is not your problem. There is really no question about this. And FWIW, the CAS module is not a "known issue" for E9x vehicles in a general sense or specifically for failure of starter/solenoid activation.

If you don't hear a click from the solenoid, that would be a different situation. When you say "clicking" are you hearing the solenoid or something else?
I also would like to know since i have the same issue .
My starter doesn't crank what so ever but i do hear solenoid (maybe relay noise?) from engine bay.
I'm not 100% positive if that CAS module affects the solenoid or starter activation but CAD module can stop vehicle from starting.

https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/bmw-cas-car-access-system

List of possible symptoms you may notice if the CAS module or one of its components fails.
Symptoms
Malfunction message on the iDrive screen.
BMW does not start.
Key not recognized.
BMW won't start due to bad CAS module.
The car will turn over but not start.

2009 E90 M3 Silverstone II Metallic M-DCT
Appreciate 1
Scores31.00
      11-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:

I also would like to know since i have the same issue .
My starter doesn't crank what so ever but i do hear solenoid (maybe relay noise?) from engine bay.
I'm not 100% positive if that CAS module affects the solenoid or starter activation but CAD module can stop vehicle from starting.

https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/bmw-cas-car-access-system

List of possible symptoms you may notice if the CAS module or one of its components fails.
Symptoms
Malfunction message on the iDrive screen.
BMW does not start.
Key not recognized.
BMW won't start due to bad CAS module.
The car will turn over but not start.
CAS failure is pretty uncommon, majority of the time if you hear click when hitting the start button and no start it's the starter. Starter failure is fairly common on e9x chassis.
Appreciate 1
Scores31.00
      11-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
MRAT3D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Same thing happened to me, going to have to tow the car to a shop today.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #11
Scores
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

What you're describing sounds exactly like what happened to me this year! It's your starter. It'll get worse and worse until it just wont start. After I replaced the starter, the engine fires up before I can even remove my finger from the start button.

All three bolts are torque to yield bolts and can't be reused so buy three new bolts.
The starter at bmw was $750 with a $200 core charge. I bought mine from carquest and it was half the price for a Bosch unit.

My ground was bad, and in the process of replacing it, I broke the ground off the oil pan.
I ended up using an alternative ground.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
itsnotq49.00
      11-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #12
itsnotq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It clicks and nothing happens. And then I keep trying it'll crank up and start up. So I'm not really sure if it's the solenoid
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #13
itsnotq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh I got a remote discharge message recently and changed the battery on my key fob
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #14
itsnotq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One more thing if I drive it 5 minutes, and turn it off come back like a hour later it starts fine.. it's just when I let it sit for a while
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #15
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotq View Post
One more thing if I drive it 5 minutes, and turn it off come back like a hour later it starts fine.. it's just when I let it sit for a while
Had a similar problem early on in my ownership back in 2010. After several visits to the dealer it was finally solved by replacing the starter before that they replaced the key module, battery, and i believe the "special" battery cable. Granted I dont know how these things work but they told me something along the lines that the switch in the starter was malfunctioning.

my symptoms were:
1. Cold starts were the problem and it would be intermittent. (crank most of the time until it wouldnt and then randomly will start, esp. after being towed to the dealer!)
2. No actual cranking/clicking noise
3. Noise is more of a electric switch and hearing it buzz subtlety (assuming its similar to what the other poster is noting as relay noise)
4. Electronics looked good to go, no sign of low charge or dead battery; further proved after replacing all the battery components and this problem persisted.
5. No faults associated to this problem could be found. Well they did think that it could be key faults I had which is why they replaced that.. but no that was just me hopping out of the car with the key.

Last edited by wuzupfoo; 11-07-2019 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #16
itsnotq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo View Post
Quote:
Had a similar problem early on in my ownership back in 2010. After several visits to the dealer it was finally solved by replacing the starter before that they replaced the key module, battery, and i believe the "special" battery cable. Granted I dont know how these things work but they told me something along the lines that the switch in the starter was malfunctioning.

my symptoms were:
1. Cold starts were the problem and it would be intermittent. (crank most of the time until it wouldnt and then randomly will start, esp. after being towed to the dealer!)
2. No actual cranking/clicking noise
3. Noise is more of a electric switch and hearing it buzz subtlety (assuming its similar to what the other poster is noting as relay noise)
4. Electronics looked good to go, no sign of low charge or dead battery; further proved after replacing all the battery components and this problem persisted.
5. No faults associated to this problem could be found. Well they did think that it could be key faults I had which is why they replaced that.. but no that was just me hopping out of the car with the key.
Did your car throw any codes by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:43 AM   #17
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It clicks and nothing happens. And then I keep trying it'll crank up and start up. So I'm not really sure if it's the solenoid
Perhaps you misunderstand what I wrote or I am misunderstanding something.

If you hear a click or a series of clicks from the vicinity of the starter that is the solenoid being activated. If the solenoid is being activated then your CAS is OK and the solenoid coil is OK. Keep in mind that the solenoid is an electromagnet that closes a switch directing power to the starter. In some cases it also physically moves the starter gear to engage the flywheel.

So, at the point you are hearing the solenoid click, you know the CAS is good and the solenoid electromagnet is good. Then, assuming a good battery, the problem is either the 'switch' part of the solenoid, the starter itself, power from the battery to the starter (red cables) or ground from the engine block to the chassis.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread about what the 'click' from the starter solenoid sounds like. Unfortunately, I cannot help with that other to suggest getting a second person to listen for the source of the sound. This is pretty basic stuff.

Bottom line: most of the time, the problem you are describing is a dying starter. MOST but not all of the time, which is why it is useful to have a clear overview of how the system works.
Appreciate 1
itsnotq49.00
      11-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #18
itsnotq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps you misunderstand what I wrote or I am misunderstanding something.

If you hear a click or a series of clicks from the vicinity of the starter that is the solenoid being activated. If the solenoid is being activated then your CAS is OK and the solenoid coil is OK. Keep in mind that the solenoid is an electromagnet that closes a switch directing power to the starter. In some cases it also physically moves the starter gear to engage the flywheel.

So, at the point you are hearing the solenoid click, you know the CAS is good and the solenoid electromagnet is good. Then, assuming a good battery, the problem is either the 'switch' part of the solenoid, the starter itself, power from the battery to the starter (red cables) or ground from the engine block to the chassis.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread about what the 'click' from the starter solenoid sounds like. Unfortunately, I cannot help with that other to suggest getting a second person to listen for the source of the sound. This is pretty basic stuff.

Bottom line: most of the time, the problem you are describing is a dying starter. MOST but not all of the time, which is why it is useful to have a clear overview of how the system works.
Oh appreciate you clarifying. Yes I hear the solonoid. I'm convinced it is the starter as it's taking longer to crank. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 10:31 PM   #19
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Has anybody ever had the issue of trying to start their car and it clicks? After a few times of trying it'll eventually start? I have a video to see if I can try and upload it. The battery is a year old
Had same exact symptoms. Eventually it will take more tries to start and then will not start at all. It’s the starter starting to fail. The clicking noise is actually the gear that pops out and engages the flywheel, but the starter motor is too weak to turn the flywheel. Replace your starter and it should be fixed.
Appreciate 1
itsnotq49.00
      11-24-2019, 10:20 PM   #20
itsnotq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
Quote:
Had same exact symptoms. Eventually it will take more tries to start and then will not start at all. It’s the starter starting to fail. The clicking noise is actually the gear that pops out and engages the flywheel, but the starter motor is too weak to turn the flywheel. Replace your starter and it should be fixed.
Thanks a lot man
Appreciate 0