BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question Quick Q On Airbox & Vents...

i noticed from the manuel the m3 sucks air 3 ways. the vent on the hood, a brake duct, and the kidney grill.

does the intake box itself have drain holes or something to get rid of water? simply put if you were to put a hose on top of the hood vent (the one that goes to the airbox) will it be ok ?
      11-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Mike V8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 DCT

if im not mistaken water will pour out of the front right hole(lack of proper term) that is under the light. i believe that they are conected.
"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

As long you are not trying to be funny by chucking a hose at full blast, you will be fine.

I took the liberty of removing the air intake cover. As you can see from the photos, there is a drainage at the bottom of the intake pipe for water to flow out safely.

This is the 2nd drainage for the water to flow out of the bumper intake. The air filter has no contact with the bottom of the airbox.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I think the OEM intake is pretty amazing how they designed it. Getting an aftermarket intake would be cool, but OEM seems pretty hard to beat as far as functionality goes.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I think the OEM intake is pretty amazing how they designed it. Getting an aftermarket intake would be cool, but OEM seems pretty hard to beat as far as functionality goes.

+1

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Yet people spend hundreds of dollars on scoops and other air boxes...
      11-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

When the car is stuck in traffic, you have 3 areas for air to come in, lower driver side bumper hole, center tube behind grill, and the opening in hood, however, when you are traveling at speed like on a highway or so, the vent on the hood becomes a suction source and helps the lower bumper hole to suck in more air. I've never seen any road going car with an intake design like it, and imho, it's very very good, a drop in high-flow filter is all you need.
      11-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pilot View Post
there is a drainage at the bottom of the intake pipe for water to flow out safely. This is the 2nd drainage for the water to flow out of the bumper intake.
Only flaw I found is water/dirt drips right on the engine (I sealed the slit), so it should have been more to the outside, or with a hole pointing to the fender rather than a slit. My engine was a mess on that side when I removed the air filter housing (apparently when dealer drove my car from another dealership they did it offroad ). Not a big deal; just an observation, but the design is pretty clever overall. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Only flaw I found is water/dirt drips right on the engine (I sealed the slit), so it should have been more to the outside, or with a hole pointing to the fender rather than a slit. My engine was a mess on that side when I removed the air filter housing (apparently when dealer drove my car from another dealership they did it offroad ). Not a big deal; just an observation, but the design is pretty clever overall. Take care.
Yes thats what I thought initially as well. While I was degreasing the engine bay I noticed the Bonnet Intake vent seems to be directly above the engine. Beyond the engine is the exhaust manifold.

Any excessive amount of water hitting the engine would have continued to drip downwards onto the exhaust manifold. At a traffic light situation with water coming in contact with a very hot engine and exhaust manifold, I wonder if it is detriment to both components.

With the Evo IX, the bonnet vent allows a quite a significant amount of water onto the engine and the exhaust manifold. However there is an exhaust manifold housing that prevents water from dripping on it. I hope this is the case with the M3.

Anyway I could be wrong. Its quite cluttered with the airbox. Perhaps when I have the time, I'll remove the airbox and have a look underneath it. There might be a shield of some sort.
Appreciate 0