BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

08-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #45
beatboxa
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Jerez Black

BTW, here's Pennsylvania: http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/point-system.php
and VA: http://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/point-system.php
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #46
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Performance View Post
Good luck with the ticket though. Not sure how out of state tickets work as I've been lucky enough to keep all my tickets within the state of CA.
"lucky enough" Do you usually contest by written declaration or trial?
      08-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #47
McKenna Performance
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post
"lucky enough" Do you usually contest by written declaration or trial?
My trick is always do as many extensions as possible. Depending on the county you may be allowed just one and for the second one you have to see a judge. Well I see a judge and request for a second extension. By this time... about 4-5 sometimes 6 months have passed from the time I got the ticket. When the time comes, I see the judge and plea not guilty. This sets up a date for you and the cop to finally meet (hopefully he doesn't show up) By the time that court date with the officer comes around, you are probably looking at around 7-8 months from the initial contact with the officer. If the officer doesn't show, your're golden! If he does show up then you better hope he doesn't remember you and many times they don't write down details of the infraction they gave you. That is my trick to fighting them without getting a traffic attorney involved. I've been lucky enough to win all of them till this day *knock on wood*
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #48
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Performance View Post
My trick is always do as many extensions as possible. Depending on the county you may be allowed just one and for the second one you have to see a judge. Well I see a judge and request for a second extension. By this time... about 4-5 sometimes 6 months have passed from the time I got the ticket. When the time comes, I see the judge and plea not guilty. This sets up a date for you and the cop to finally meet (hopefully he doesn't show up) By the time that court date with the officer comes around, you are probably looking at around 7-8 months from the initial contact with the officer. If the officer doesn't show, your're golden! If he does show up then you better hope he doesn't remember you and many times they don't write down details of the infraction they gave you. That is my trick to fighting them without getting a traffic attorney involved. I've been lucky enough to win all of them till this day *knock on wood*
I've only had 1 speeding ticket and that was earlier this year, before i even got my M : I was in my parents 2011 E350 that i was borrowing because my car finally bit the dust. As soon as i told the CHP that it was my parents car i think he stereotyped me as a spoiled rich white kid so he had his mind set on giving me a ticket (I'm not, im 25 and i purchased the M3 with my own money).

Anyways... I choose trial by written declaration and the charges were dismissed because the officer failed to respond. I did read the same advice you posted above on these forums (perhaps from you) so i waited to send the ticket in a week before the due date (I didn't ask for an extension though).

Last edited by Jive; 08-12-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #49
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I am an attorney and unless you are poor, you can get a ticket attorney for about $150.00. Get your clean home driving record sent to him, he will please no contest (nolo contendere for you latinaphiles), you pay a fine and have adjudication withheld.

The delay tactic that was listed may work if you know what you are doing but here the cops now have to show or get into trouble, so that game no longer works here.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #50
McKenna Performance
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
I am an attorney and unless you are poor, you can get a ticket attorney for about $150.00. Get your clean home driving record sent to him, he will please no contest (nolo contendere for you latinaphiles), you pay a fine and have adjudication withheld.

The delay tactic that was listed may work if you know what you are doing but here the cops now have to show or get into trouble, so that game no longer works here.
Thanks for the professional input! What state are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Hopefully those cop rules don't come into California or else me and many like myself are going to be screwed.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #51
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I said it in your first thread and will ask it again. Either I didn't read it correctly, or I'm missing something. What is the big deal here? First ticket in 10 years, 20 mph over, it's just a monetary fine that's the hardest hit on you at this moment.

Pay the fine, accept the points, don't violate speed laws for a bit, your insurance likely will cut you slack since it's first ticket in 10 years.

So what's the big issue here?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #52
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
(nolo contendere for you latinaphiles)

great, and for us francophiles?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #53
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Yeah but would that effect my PA license or insurance rates? I know from state to state it differs so something that"s "no big deal" in one place is a "big deal" in another ya know?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #54
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I said it in your first thread and will ask it again. Either I didn't read it correctly, or I'm missing something. What is the big deal here? First ticket in 10 years, 20 mph over, it's just a monetary fine that's the hardest hit on you at this moment.

Pay the fine, accept the points, don't violate speed laws for a bit, your insurance likely will cut you slack since it's first ticket in 10 years.

So what's the big issue here?
Why would you just sit back and take the points? Then you pay extra money every month for the next, what?, 2-4 years? Laying down is the losers way out, I would rather fight it, pay a fine, maybe even a lawyer, one shot maybe $1,000 total, than thousands over the next few years........get real bro, it's a big issue to me, especially since this isn't my only car, all of my insured cars will go up, motorcycles too.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #55
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3 View Post
Why would you just sit back and take the points? Then you pay extra money every month for the next, what?, 2-4 years? Laying down is the losers way out, I would rather fight it, pay a fine, maybe even a lawyer, one shot maybe $1,000 total, than thousands over the next few years........get real bro, it's a big issue to me, especially since this isn't my only car, all of my insured cars will go up, motorcycles too.
your first points...in 10 years?! Come on man! You're not going to get an insurance premium bump. If you don't believe me, ask for an opinion from your agent.

Unless you're not giving us your complete driving record story here, why are you so worried? Is your credit history going to hell in a handbasket at the same time? Are you fighting a DUI? Are you insuring an 18 year old mistress under your policy?

I can tell you, based on less than stellar driving history, my two shortest interval point events occurred when I was 24 and then again at 26, driving an Evo 8 (out of all possible car categories, the Evo is THE WORST for a 20 y/o). Those were my 2nd and 3rd tickets since I was 16, and not a single fucking dollar was added to my premium.

Last edited by mdosu; 08-12-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #56
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
your first points...in 10 years?! Come on man! You're not going to get an insurance premium bump. If you don't believe me, ask for an opinion from your agent.

Unless you're not giving us your complete driving record story here, why are you so worried?

I can tell you, my two shortest interval point events occurred when I was 24 and then again at 26, driving an Evo 8. Those were my 2nd and 3rd tickets since I was 16, and not a single fucking dollar was added to my premium.
Me also. I've had lots of tickets. Unless they have reason to look up your history they don't. I've been with state farm forever had several incidents as well and rate is fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #57
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Me also. I've had lots of tickets. Unless they have reason to look up your history they don't. I've been with state farm forever had several incidents as well and rate is fine.
State Farm here too...hmmm, a trend here?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #58
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
first points in 10 years?! Come on man! You're not going to get an insurance premium bump. If you don't believe me, ask for an opinion from your agent.
I beg to differ man, all this comes down to is money from beginning to end, Fines, Court Costs, Online Course, Insurance Rates etc. Everyone involved with this wants money. Police, Courts and Insurance company.......any way that they can get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #59
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I beg to differ man, all this comes down to is money from beginning to end, Fines, Court Costs, Online Course, Insurance Rates etc. Everyone involved with this wants money. Police, Courts and Insurance company.......any way that they can get it.
so, let me get this straight, you're willing to spend countless hours, typing here, researching for a lawyer, calling and talking to your lawyer, paying $150 lawyer fees, pull your driving record, print and file it with your lawyer, figuring this and that, driving back down Interstate-Clusterfuck to southern VA to appear in court, etc etc...when all it takes is 5 minutes to call your agent to gauge the guy who likely knows THE MOST about impact on your rates?!

you have 74 posts on this forum, and 33% of your total activity is based on this speeding ticket non-event. Something tells me I'll see your third thread on this same topic moved again to Mid-Atlantic sub forum.

Last edited by mdosu; 08-12-2013 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #60
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
As my signature says,I'm a traffic lawyer in NC,and have clients who get Va tickets.I wouldn't be able to handle it myself out of state, but PM me your phone # and I can give you some friendly advice and tell you how it works.
Shout out to Robbiedawg, really helpful information, definitely a good dude with knowledge and advice. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #61
miamiflgator
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Rates can go up. It took them one year to share the info and I received a call with an increased rate. 81 mph on 70 limit and it was in the middle of nowhere in MO.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #62
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiflgator View Post
Rates can go up. It took them one year to share the info and I received a call with an increased rate. 81 mph on 70 limit and it was in the middle of nowhere in MO.
how much did your rate go up? and for how long? did it put you in the poor house where you had to sell your M3?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #63
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu
Quote:
so, let me get this straight, you're willing to spend countless hours, typing here, researching for a lawyer, calling and talking to your lawyer, paying $150 lawyer fees, pull your driving record, print and file it with your lawyer, figuring this and that, etc etc...when all it takes is 5 minutes to call your agent to gauge the guy who likely knows THE MOST about impact on your rates?!

you have 74 posts on this forum, and 33% of your total activity is based on your speeding ticket non-event. Something tells me I'll see your third thread on this same topic moved again to Mid-Atlantic sub forum.
Agree, this is much to do about nothing. Now if you were 20 mph over the speed limit in VA you would have a reckless driving ticket. But it does not sound like this is your situation. That being the case and because you haven't otherwise had a speeding ticket for 10 years, just call the number provided on the ticket to find out what the fine an court costs are; then pay it. I'm with GEICO and one speeding ticket in a 5 year period (let alone a 10 year period) does nothing to your rate or good driving record. So unless you are not telling us everything, don't fret. Btw, don't call your insurance company to ask whether it effects your driving record; why tip them off in case VA does not report the ticket. Just read your policy.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #64
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Seems like a lot of hastle to me also. I usually only go to court after the cops have shot at my car or used spike strips other than that I just pay up.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #65
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Unless you're not giving us your complete driving record story here, why are you so worried? Is your credit history going to hell in a handbasket at the same time? Are you fighting a DUI? Are you insuring an 18 year old mistress under your policy?

I can tell you, based on less than stellar driving history, my two shortest interval point events occurred when I was 24 and then again at 26, driving an Evo 8 (out of all possible car categories, the Evo is THE WORST for a 20 y/o). Those were my 2nd and 3rd tickets since I was 16, and not a single fucking dollar was added to my premium.
I never said I wasn't gonna call my insurance agent, but yeah I would rather do all that then sit back, like you suggested, and eat the points
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #66
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
Agree, this is much to do about nothing. Now if you were 20 mph over the speed limit in VA you would have a reckless driving ticket. But it does not sound like this is your situation. That being the case and because you haven't otherwise had a speeding ticket for 10 years, just call the number provided on the ticket to find out what the fine an court costs are; then pay it. I'm with GEICO and one speeding ticket in a 5 year period (let alone a 10 year period) does nothing to your rate or good driving record. So unless you are not telling us everything, don't fret. Btw, don't call your insurance company to ask whether it effects your driving record; why tip them off in case VA does not report the ticket. Just read your policy.
I was kinda thinking that also, why call since I don't want them to know, that's why I'm gonna speak with my girl's insurance agent, who's also a friend.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread