BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #23
mmmmQuattro
Captain
mmmmQuattro's Avatar
Australia
109
Rep
965
Posts

Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Hunter View Post


My dad has a 2018 Carrera T with PDK, rear wheel steer and sport buckets with rear seat delete and it is as good as advertised. I've spent some with it and have driven may excellent cars, simply put it is an amazing machine. It is incredibly nimble with almost perfect steering and having such a large section with tire in the rear (305), it just grips at level that can't be matched other than by a super car. Depending how it is spec'd, I'd put it up against a 991.1 GT3.

Although it only has 370hp, it's quicker than a 991.1 GTS and Car and Driver managed a 11.9 1/4 mile at 118mph in the base 991.2 Carrera with PDK. That is no slouch.

This car will used at the track and around town, a poor man's GT3 if you will. However, at $120k for this particular build, one could have a 991.1 GT3 therefore there is a compelling argument against the T. However, it's much more understated which is compelling to many. If anyone gets the opportunity I encourage you drive one.
I had to quote you with the photo of that awesome 911T - looks so nice and clean.
When I read this thread, I got all excited - perhaps now I can finally afford a new 911. So over to the Porsche Australia website and built my base model 911T.

With no options, it came to US $185k !... maybe next year (actually, the year after, when private school fees are over )
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #24
SpeedyDad
Private First Class
SpeedyDad's Avatar
106
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2018 F90 M5 & 2015 i3
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
No, I still think the GT4 is the perfect Porsche
Tough to argue with that!
__________________
2018 F90 ///M5
2015 i3 Rex
2016 Toyota 4Runner 4x4
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:31 AM   #25
SpeedyDad
Private First Class
SpeedyDad's Avatar
106
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2018 F90 M5 & 2015 i3
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
My thoughts exactly

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...r%3fsource=dam
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 01:10 AM   #26
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
5658
Rep
19,415
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Torques?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #27
SpeedyDad
Private First Class
SpeedyDad's Avatar
106
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2018 F90 M5 & 2015 i3
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Torques?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #28
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
5658
Rep
19,415
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Oh that article kept referring to torques of the car not torque, just sounded dumb.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
1649
Rep
6,962
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Oh that article kept referring to torques of the car not torque, just sounded dumb.
Have you never watched Top Gear, 5th Gear or any British car show? Even F1 and rally coverage usually touches on torques.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #30
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
5658
Rep
19,415
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Yes havent noticed it, bugs me like saying tints. You have window tint not tints. Can I axe you a question yo?
Appreciate 4
Flying Ace3318.50
Red Bread1648.50
glennQNYC1595.50

      08-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #31
Flying Ace
Major General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3319
Rep
9,651
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Hunter View Post


My dad has a 2018 Carrera T with PDK, rear wheel steer and sport buckets with rear seat delete and it is as good as advertised. I've spent some with it and have driven may excellent cars, simply put it is an amazing machine. It is incredibly nimble with almost perfect steering and having such a large section with tire in the rear (305), it just grips at level that can't be matched other than by a super car. Depending how it is spec'd, I'd put it up against a 991.1 GT3.

Although it only has 370hp, it's quicker than a 991.1 GTS and Car and Driver managed a 11.9 1/4 mile at 118mph in the base 991.2 Carrera with PDK. That is no slouch.

This car will used at the track and around town, a poor man's GT3 if you will. However, at $120k for this particular build, one could have a 991.1 GT3 therefore there is a compelling argument against the T. However, it's much more understated which is compelling to many. If anyone gets the opportunity I encourage you drive one.
have you driven a lot of the cars you've mentioned? (991.1 GT3, 991.2 C2, 991.1 GTS).

I'm just curious how you're saying the T is "quicker" than all those cars? Is it your butt dyno? Is it based on some magazine testing? What numbers are you using to indicate quickness?
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #32
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
2442
Rep
1,758
Posts

Drives: F01 ~ Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (Plano, TX)

iTrader: (0)

No.

That honor would go to the 911 Turbo S Exclusive Edition. Not the cheapest nor nearly the most expensive but all-around the BEST looks, appointments, performance, every day Supercar stats, and dare I say color.



Oh the things I would do to her...
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/Cpax7En.jpg
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #33
Circuit Hunter
First Lieutenant
234
Rep
331
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern Cal.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
have you driven a lot of the cars you've mentioned? (991.1 GT3, 991.2 C2, 991.1 GTS).

I'm just curious how you're saying the T is "quicker" than all those cars? Is it your butt dyno? Is it based on some magazine testing? What numbers are you using to indicate quickness?
I never said that a T was quicker than a GT3 although 0-60mph wouldn't surprise me due to the T's low end torque.

I have driven a 991.1 GT3, 991.2 Carrera S (via Porsche Experience) and ridden in a 991.1 Carrera S. I have not driven a 991.1 GTS, my statement regarding the acceleration of 991.2 Carrera vs. a 991.1 GTS is based on the the article via Car and Driver. A PDK T will not be slower than a 991.2 Carrera.

Reference: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ra-test-review

"The last naturally aspirated 911 PDK we strapped our test gear to was a 2015 GTS, which hit 60 mph in 3.6 seconds and ran the quarter in 11.9 seconds at 118 mph. The 2017 Carrera beats its zero-to-60-mph time by 0.2 second and matches its quarter-mile performance exactly."

I'd be happy to give my $.02 of how the cars I've driven stack up if you are in the market.
__________________
IG: @circuithunter
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #34
glennQNYC
Space Force Door Gunner
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
1596
Rep
2,842
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
I've been lusting after the 911T hard for at least a month now. I can get my build down to ~$118k but that's honestly too much car (money) for me right now.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKF68N53
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:53 PM   #35
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
5658
Rep
19,415
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

A whole month!
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace3318.50

      08-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #36
glennQNYC
Space Force Door Gunner
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
1596
Rep
2,842
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
A whole month!
Yea the last month has been especially tough.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:59 PM   #37
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
5658
Rep
19,415
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Poor baby
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #38
glennQNYC
Space Force Door Gunner
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
1596
Rep
2,842
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Poor baby
I've enrolled myself in a therapy group and everything.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:30 AM   #39
domino_z
Major
Australia
595
Rep
1,268
Posts

Drives: F80 CP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

no amount or removal of options will change the size of the 991

and that it's real problem in terms of being the 'perfect' porsche

buy a 997 with 3 pedals and the mezger, and you're much closer to perfect p car for sensible money
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 01:03 AM   #40
Circuit Hunter
First Lieutenant
234
Rep
331
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern Cal.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
no amount or removal of options will change the size of the 991

and that it's real problem in terms of being the 'perfect' porsche

buy a 997 with 3 pedals and the mezger, and you're much closer to perfect p car for sensible money
It doesn’t get much better than a 997.2 GT3/GT3rs...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #41
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
5658
Rep
19,415
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I've enrolled myself in a therapy group and everything.
Thats good, today is circle jerk day, watch yourself
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #42
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
434
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: B'ham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The turbo kills it for me. But I'm becoming an old man and am holding on to the past, I suppose.

Regarding the size, I thought the 991 handled better than it's predecessors due to longer wheel base / size?

To me, the 997 is the best looking, but only barely. 997 GT3 is one of my 'attainable' dream cars - for whom isn't it? That said, 991 911R is hands down my favorite Porsche (well, that or the 918) - but I'll never own either unless I magically win the lottery without even trying.
__________________
Black Sapphire 328i ///M Sport Coupé
Save the Manuals!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #43
Circuit Hunter
First Lieutenant
234
Rep
331
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern Cal.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
The turbo kills it for me. But I'm becoming an old man and am holding on to the past, I suppose.

Regarding the size, I thought the 991 handled better than it's predecessors due to longer wheel base / size?

To me, the 997 is the best looking, but only barely. 997 GT3 is one of my 'attainable' dream cars - for whom isn't it? That said, 991 911R is hands down my favorite Porsche (well, that or the 918) - but I'll never own either unless I magically win the lottery without even trying.
I encourage you to drive a new 991.2 variant. If anyone can pull off magic it’s Porsche.

In regards to handling, although larger than a 997, the 991 platform is a different level. And although larger they feel small and light, which they are.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST