BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #67
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
You're running toe out in the rear? Wouldn't that explain the loose rear end?
forgot the word negative before toe.**
Toe Out up front - .04
Toe In out back - +.11
Appreciate 1
DRLane3968.00
      10-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #68
SignatureJames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M5 Competition

stud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Combined a few of my oversteer moments from Chuckwalla. Love the way this car rotates. Hard to believe it's my first time driving it, but I guess I've been in such a similar chassis over the last 5 years that it just feels familiar and predictable. Suspension setup seems so perfect out of the box. Blown away.

1992 Acura NSX / 1998 Acura Integra Type R / 2023 BMW M5 Competition / 2019 Porsche Cayenne S / 2023 Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Appreciate 1
berns1557.00
      10-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #69
berns
Captain
Rep

Couldn't stop thinking about getting to Buttonwillow with the M3 before the baby gets here, and figured I should get up to the track while I still can, so I went out for a Test Day.

Haven't done a test day before, but man... It's way more fun than most official track days. Showed up in the morning, ran a few sessions, made minor adjustments, took business calls, ate a sandwich and was home again by 3pm. Awesome.

The M3 didn't disappoint -- actually, it continues to impress the f*(k out of me. I haven't changed anything from Chuckwalla. Didn't even wash the car.

Oh wait, I changed one thing... I put the Recaro Pole Position back in the 1M-clone for its new owner to pick the car up this Friday. I picked up the new floor mount / slider combo from European Auto Source / Macht Schnell and decided to try out the new Sparco Evo. This thing is light! I didn't weigh it, but I'll weigh it with the mount and hardware next time I'm at the shop.

The Sparco is really cool looking and the Evo fits me perfectly. I was comfortable driving up to and back from Buttonwillow (2 hours), even in some traffic.

Installing seats is never fun, but the new mount setup does make it easier and the sliding mechanism is effortless since there's no room for error. Also has built in anti-sub holes for a 6pt harness and gives you tall people a ton of room. My seat is actually way too low, and I'll fix it, but lots of room for adjustment. Better pictures soon -- don't mind my garage.

I hadn't been to Buttonwillow since December 2019, so just about a year, and of course I've never driven the M3 there. The 295 A052s were definitely past their prime and really only had one hot lap in them before falling off considerably. This was their 3rd or 4th track day. While visually, they looked good, it seems like they just heat cycled out, but still, I was able to throw down a way faster lap than I was expecting, despite the rear grip struggle. You can see I stay in 4th gear a lot to avoid oversteer, and I'm on maintenance throttle for a while at Truck Stop and through the Esses. Need to improve there.

The worst thing about the day was realizing that I was an idiot for driving without a harness. At Chuckwalla, I didn't really feel off just running the factory belt with the fixed back seat, despite knowing it's not the best move. Not a ton of hard braking there and the corners are all pretty lovely and flow-y. Buttonwillow, by comparison, feels like a UFC fight. I was really struggling to keep my body in place, supporting my self with my neck, knees and wrists, and I was exhausted by noon, so I just called it quits.

Somehow, despite the seating position issues (which resulted in an embarrassing 3rd gear clutch dump downshift into Sunset), I ran a 1:56.12. This was a 1:55 lap without that error alone, and it looks like taking Sunrise and Phil Hill in 3rd instead of 4th would further improve the time, paired with staying flat out through the Esses if I man up. So, new goal for this car is a 1:54 with no aero on street tires. Seems like a fun challenge!

Now, to decide on a roll bar... Leaning towards the GTS-style bar from Pinnacle Motorsport in the UK. That's where I got my badass undertray as well and Jamie has been great to deal with. Made from T45, weighs only 41lbs. Hate to add weight, but it's safety, and it has a rear shock tower tie-in, so it should add some rigidity too.

Here's an in-car, with speedo this time. Spent way too long making that in Race Render.

Last edited by berns; 10-25-2020 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 4
911r887.50
DRLane3968.00
av.auto10.50
      10-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #70
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Couldn't stop thinking about getting to Buttonwillow with the M3 before the baby gets here, and figured I should get up to the track while I still can, so I went out for a Test Day.

Haven't done a test day before, but man... It's way more fun than most official track days. Showed up in the morning, ran a few sessions, made minor adjustments, took business calls, ate a sandwich and was home again by 3pm. Awesome.

The M3 didn't disappoint -- actually, it continues to impress the f*(k out of me. I haven't changed anything from Chuckwalla. Didn't even wash the car.

Oh wait, I changed one thing... I put the Recaro Pole Position back in the 1M-clone for its new owner to pick the car up this Friday. I picked up the new floor mount / slider combo from European Auto Source / Macht Schnell and decided to try out the new Sparco Evo. This thing is light! I didn't weigh it, but I'll weigh it with the mount and hardware next time I'm at the shop.

Installing seats is never fun, but the new mount setup does make it easier and the sliding mechanism is effortless since there's no room for error. Also has built in anti-sub holes for a 6pt harness and gives you tall people a ton of room. My seat is actually way too low, and I'll fix it, but tons of room for adjustment. Better pictures soon -- don't mind my garage.

I hadn't been to Buttonwillow since December 2019, so just about a year, and of course I've never driven the M3 there. The 295 A052s were definitely pas their prime and really only had one hot lap in them before falling off considerably. This was their 3rd or 4th track day. While visually, they looked good, it seems like they just heat cycled out, but still, I was able to throw down a way faster lap than I was expecting, despite the rear grip struggle. You can see I stay in 4th gear a lot to avoid oversteer, and I'm on maintenance throttle for a while at Truck Stop and through the Esses. Need to improve there.

The worst thing about the day was realizing that I was an idiot for driving without a harness. At Chuckwalla, I didn't really feel off just running the factory belt with the fixed back seat, despite knowing it's not the best move. Not a ton of hard braking there and the corners are all pretty lovely and flow-y. Buttonwillow, by comparison, feels like a UFC fight. I was really struggling to keep my body in place, supporting my self with my neck, knees and wrists, and I was exhausted by noon, so I just called it quits.

Somehow, despite the seating position issues (which resulted in an embarrassing 3rd gear clutch dump downshift into Sunset), I ran a 1:56.12. This was a 1:55 lap without that error alone, and it looks like taking Sunrise and Phil Hill in 3rd instead of 4th would further improve the time, paired with staying flat out through the Esses if I man up. So, new goal for this car is a 1:54 with no aero on street tires. Seems like a fun challenge!

Here's an in-car, with speedo this time. Spent way too long making that in Race Render.

My old E46 M3 was at that event! Looked like a ton of fun. Apart from the harness issue—how did the Sparco Evos hold up against the Pole Positions in terms of comfort & support? The Sparcos are considerably less expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #71
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
My old E46 M3 was at that event! Looked like a ton of fun. Apart from the harness issue—how did the Sparco Evos hold up against the Pole Positions in terms of comfort & support? The Sparcos are considerably less expensive.
Yeah lots of familiar faces and buddies practicing for GTA Finals coming up.

Sparco's actually feel like a better shape for me. I always felt like my lower back was sinking and curving into the Pole Positions, but the Evo feels flatter on the lower back / lumbar and is more comfortable to me. I'd say there is less cushioning compared to the Pole Position, and obviously we are comparing Leather to these, but a better comparison would be to the Sparco Performance QRT which looks killer and I believe is the real Pole Position competitor.

All in all, super happy I went this direction and I'll be grabbing another one for the passenger's side.
Appreciate 2
911r887.50
      10-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #72
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
Yeah lots of familiar faces and buddies practicing for GTA Finals coming up.

Sparco's actually feel like a better shape for me. I always felt like my lower back was sinking and curving into the Pole Positions, but the Evo feels flatter on the lower back / lumbar and is more comfortable to me. I'd say there is less cushioning compared to the Pole Position, and obviously we are comparing Leather to these, but a better comparison would be to the Sparco Performance QRT which looks killer and I believe is the real Pole Position competitor.

All in all, super happy I went this direction and I'll be grabbing another one for the passenger's side.
Very good to know! Will have to check out the QRTs; the QRT-Rs also look solid. Half cage next?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #73
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Thanks Bern! I'm going to go with the Pinnacle MS roll bar as well. Looks awesome.
      10-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #74
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Nice work on the weight reduction, I'm surprised at weight it's currently at, but I assume some of that is the lack of nav and other items that I have on my car. Tempting.. would be nice to be <3400 lb for my car.

If you want more BW CW13, we're going 11/27 with SpeedSF. Let me try and chase you? I have some seconds I'd like to chop off
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:02 PM   #75
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyippee View Post
Nice work on the weight reduction, I'm surprised at weight it's currently at, but I assume some of that is the lack of nav and other items that I have on my car. Tempting.. would be nice to be <3400 lb for my car.

If you want more BW CW13, we're going 11/27 with SpeedSF. Let me try and chase you? I have some seconds I'd like to chop off
Ha, yeah I'm surprised by the weight too but the combination of light parts and the package of the car seems to definitely be working out for weight.

I'm probably done with tracking for a few months. Might get back out to BW one more time early November but that'll be it. Then it's baby time!
Appreciate 1
derbo3592.00
      10-25-2020, 11:09 PM   #76
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyippee View Post

Ha, yeah I'm surprised by the weight too but the combination of light parts and the package of the car seems to definitely be working out for weight.

I'm probably done with tracking for a few months. Might get back out to BW one more time early November but that'll be it. Then it's baby time!
Good.
Appreciate 1
berns1557.00
      11-02-2020, 11:51 PM   #77
dmitriyo
overnight engineer
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

This guy!.. hah looking good!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #78
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

I can't wait for this car to go full nuts and be a full feature on a Hoonigan episode.
Appreciate 1
berns1557.00
      11-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #79
berns
Captain
Rep

Well, I ordered a rear half cage from Pinnacle Motorsport. Jamie has been awesome to deal with and I can't wait till it comes. Even though the GTS-style cage is light, since it's made from T45, (40 lbs.), I figured I should try to remove 40 more pounds from the car before it goes in. Why not...

I pulled out the full trunk liner/carpet/styrofoam, the rear door cards, rear bench carpet, rear seatbelts and anything else I found that wasn't needed. It doesn't look great right now, but I'll figure something out. For now, unlike my last car, this car will be about function > form. I'll still try to keep it clean, but my goal is to make it light and liveable. Keeping the headliner, of course.

Here's both door cards

and here's everything else

Funny enough, my LCI tail lights are Depo, and they came with these insanely clumsy and heavy harnesses with relay boxes. Not only was this a mess, but the noise was intense when using turn signals, especially without a rear seat in. Turns out you can just use the BMW factory LCI harness which weighs nothing, and just requires a quick coding afterwards. Shaved another 2 pounds!

With 40+ lbs removed, current weight should be right around 3190 with half a tank. Wish the M3 weighed this much with a stock interior!

Threw the Fikse Profil 10's back on with some fresh Nexen Sur4G's 275/35/18. Going back to Buttonwillow on Thursday for a private event and it'll be cool to see how brand new 275 Nexen's compare to worn 295 A052's.

Also finally cleaned my Akra Ti tips and pulled them a little further out since they were really sucked in under the RKP diffuser. Not a big fan of this diffuser, but there's a small chunk missing from the exhaust surround area on my bumper and this hides it, so I guess it's here to stay for now.

If this exhaust didn't look so cool and weigh so little, I'd sell it and get something that sounded better in a heartbeat. Still want to try removing the resonators to free up some personality.

Randy from Epic also sent me a mild tune update to pick up some mid range and richen the mixture a bit to help with temps. Car feels so fast on the street with less weight in it, a bit more grunt and the cool temps.

Last, but no least -- not sure I ever showed you guys the Pinnacle Motorsport undertray. After spending $400+ on the OEM 3-piece felt/plastic undertray, and realizing it hung down so low and scraped nearly everything, not to mention being a pain to remove, I decided to sell the stock bits and go with the Pinnacle unit. Fitment is perfect, and it weighs just over 5 lbs. There are other options for these undertrays from different manufacturers, but between some weighing 12-15 lbs and others taking a while to install, I was sold after a quick talk with Jamie and a few others running this piece. Shipping from the UK was reasonable and it came quickly and in perfect shape. I had it on the car in under 15 minutes. The small openings on the sides are there to run brake ducts. Not something I'm doing yet but nice to know it'll be easy if I'd like to.

More soon...
Appreciate 7
      11-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #80
LeveragedTiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

What's your inner clearance like up front?

I'm on 10.5" Titan TS-5s with a 265/35/18 tire up front and MCS 2WNR coils, currently running a 12mm spacer, but am wondering how small I can go and still stuff 295/30s up front.
      11-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #81
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeveragedTiger View Post
What's your inner clearance like up front?

I'm on 10.5" Titan TS-5s with a 265/35/18 tire up front and MCS 2WNR coils, currently running a 12mm spacer, but am wondering how small I can go and still stuff 295/30s up front.
I cleared with no front spacer on the 18x10.5 +25 295/30/18 A052. No issues here. -3.6* camber and 5" main springs with helpers up front.
Appreciate 1
Kelse921131.50
      11-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #82
CMSwift
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80, E90

Nice build tbh, like the green. I’d really follow up to see how it ends
Appreciate 1
MCR674.50
      11-09-2020, 09:28 PM   #83
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
I cleared with no front spacer on the 18x10.5 +25 295/30/18 A052. No issues here. -3.6* camber and 5" main springs with helpers up front.
That is a whole lot of camber!
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #84
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

I'd love to get my car to a point where it weighs in at 319x. Maybe one day.
      11-11-2020, 08:42 PM   #85
tangsuva
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, 2012 335IS

Excellent build
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:23 AM   #86
dmitriyo
overnight engineer
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

mean green machine!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 07:58 PM   #87
Rochen_00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

Quote:

More soon...
I see that it has the complete akrapovic exhaust but without cats? Only resonators?

I mount that same exhaust but the xpipe carries HFC and resonators. I would like you to explain more about that configuration, I have also seen people who leave the cats installed and remove the resonator from the xpipe to gain more sound

Thanks and great build, I'm loving this construction :amor:

Alpinemss Tuned | Tecnocraft E9X ///M3 Envy™ Intake System | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | Ohlins Road&track| BBK Brembo 6p Front & Brembo 4p Rear| H&R Stabilisator| Solid subframe bushings| full spherical bushings| Recaro pole position
Appreciate 1
berns1557.00
      11-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #88
berns
Captain
Rep

Was fortunate enough to be invited to the KW Tech Day at Buttonwillow last Thursday. It was an AWESOME day, with sessions starting for Advanced on the hour from 9am. I shared a garage with my two buds who both have E9x M3's as well, and with tons of industry friends in attendance, it was just one of the best days.

I figured it'd be a good time to try to squeeze one last day in before the baby comes, and, a great opportunity to set some laps on a brand new set of Nexen SUR4G's, since that's the tire I ran almost exclusively on my last build.

The weather was great with temps in the mid 50s in the morning. PB weather!
Just to mention, my only time at Buttonwillow in this car was a few weeks back, running on a heavily used set of Yoko A052s (295 squared). My best lap of that day was a 1:56.12.

In my first session on the Nexen's, I ran a 1:56.2 and knew I could go quicker.
Sure enough, second session, I threw down a 1:55.7! Pretty impressive for 275s that have been sitting in my garage for a year. And, quicker than the worn A052s.

My buddy Alan brought two sets of wheels, one of which had 295 A052s on them, on the same Titan7's I was running last time. He was curious to see if I could go quicker on them, so in the name of science, I tossed them on. My session would have been their 10th heat cycle, so while they weren't new, they weren't too old either. Comparatively, grip felt better. Turn in was sharper. Roll over was non existent. The 30 series sidewall just has no flex compared to the Nexen, which you can really feel bending at the limit. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just something to get used to. Where the A052s really shine is the high speed sketchy sections where I'm usually wishing I had aero. I have way more confidence bombing through vs the Nexens.

Of course, I set myself up for a pretty solid lap. The AIM said it was a 1:54.63 before I got to the final turn, Sunset, where I constantly ruin every good lap by braking hard, getting thrown toward the steering wheel and botching my 3rd gear downshift, sending me into a understeer, and then oversteer correction. The rear cage can't come soon enough! Can't wait to have harnesses and a chassis-mounted shifter. So, despite this error, I ran a 1:55.16, a full second faster than my previous best on these tires.

My original goal for this car was a 1:54 with no aero on street tires, but after reviewing the data, my rolling best lap is a 1:52.867, so my new goal is a 1:53 in this trim. Had no idea this car would have so much potential with so little seat time and so few upgrades. Loving it.

In other news... this was my last track day for a while. Baby girl came early, and 5 hours after getting home from the track, we were headed to the hospital. Mom and daughter are healthy and it's been an incredible experience. The car will keep growing though! Cage, StopTech Trophy kit, harnesses, shifter, rear subframe bushings/mounts, SPL rear arm package... all in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Loving this build. You got me thinking about T-S7's over ARC8-R's, I'm Melbourne and would go Iridium Silver with no center caps.

Any other angles capturing the Fikse's? Can you give some details on those? Are they 3 piece? Forged? Weight? Price?
Definitely Titan7 over Apex...
Fikse's are the Profil 10. They're true 3 piece wheels, anodized gold centers, machined for lightness and only weighing 21 lbs each. I'd like to widen them to 18x10.5 all around, currently they're 10" wide.

Appreciate 7
911r887.50
//steve\\1074.00
Kelse921131.50
derbo3592.00
slcook541859.50