BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #23
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

The gearbox issue does wind up being somewhat subjective. I have an S2000 and an E36 M3 with short shifter. While from a mechanic FEEL perspective and shortness of the throws there is simply no shifter as good as the S2000. But I found if you really rush it in the lower gears (1-2 shift, 2-3 shift) you can wind up grinding the gears. This never happens on the street, where it feels perfect, but has happened many times when trying to get my best lap time at Infinion.

The M3 is the opposite. It feels a lot less mechanical and, even with the short shifter the throws are longer. In daily driving it feels pretty good, but not magical like the S2K. But on the track I NEVER grind a gear, never miss a shift, and with the clutch delay valve removed I can shift at least as fast as the S2K.

I think BMW really designs these shifters for function over overall feel. Just my $0.02.