BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #727
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Mike, while we wait for Stage 2, what's your position for Stage 1 owners who wish to run a custom E85 tune with a flex fuel sensor? Is there a detrimental impact on reliability? Best guess, what kind of power gains could be seen from running E85 with Stage 1?

What's the news on Stage II?

All the best.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2019, 01:39 PM   #728
jimmtman
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Colorado M3 looking to SC

Hi everyone - have read all of the posts on this thread. Super helpful! I have an 08 convertible and live at nearly 6k ft in Denver burbs looking to add more power. I think I've narrowed it down to Harrop or ESS VT625. Harrop Stage 2 would be interesting to see and hoping not much cost over Stage 1. Per Mike Stage 2 consists of larger injectors, new larger crank pulley, and new tune - could that be $1000 or less?

My car is under extended warranty until late Sept so probably do rod bearings just before that expires and then SC after that. So I have some time for Stage 2 to come out. I've also connected with one forum member here who lives in Colorado and has the Harrop so will be able to check that out sometime. There are also others with ESS kits in Colorado also. I'll probably get a better for them live versus trying to understand the dyno charts etc.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #729
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Don't hold your breath for stage 2. As you can see stage 1 still has issues and I dont think a stage 2 will ever come out or work smoothly like the other kits on the market. Get an ess625 kit and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 01:11 AM   #730
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Hagen View Post
I am patiently waiting for an updated software calibration to fix the low-rpm stumble. 90% of the time it is very minor, but 10% of the time it is very noticable. Hard to replicate the conditions that cause minor-vs-severe, but it is my one wish to remedy.
On my list of things to work on, and I think that this behavior can be alleviated with some tweaking. Also heading to Colorado for a racing event, and planning on dyno tuning a Stage II Harrop car while I'm out there. Appreciate your ongoing patience.

---

I lost a family member three weeks ago after a nasty nine month battle which has consumed a lot of my time over the last 9 months.

I have worked on ironing out the calibration a couple times and a lot of positive progress has been made. I work on Stage II in my free time, which hasn't been plentiful lately.

Thanks to all of those that are being patient without negative things to say. We have no intention of supplying Stage II kits to anyone that believes it will never materialize.
Appreciate 3
      06-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #731
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
On my list of things to work on, and I think that this behavior can be alleviated with some tweaking. Also heading to Colorado for a racing event, and planning on dyno tuning a Stage II Harrop car while I'm out there. Appreciate your ongoing patience.

---

I lost a family member three weeks ago after a nasty nine month battle which has consumed a lot of my time over the last 9 months.

I have worked on ironing out the calibration a couple times and a lot of positive progress has been made. I work on Stage II in my free time, which hasn't been plentiful lately.

Thanks to all of those that are being patient without negative things to say. We have no intention of supplying Stage II kits to anyone that believes it will never materialize.
Thank you Mike. So sorry for your loss. We appreciate what you do. And we look forward to whatever comes our way. I have fun with my Harrop every day.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 2
ebisu81070.50
BPMSport3380.50
      06-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #732
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Quote:
This is the fueling going rich in case you slam your foot to the floor, and then leaning back out once it doesn't see full boost pressure. Will be ironed out in future revisions - we are doing some testing with different pressure sensors.

Quote:
I have worked on ironing out the calibration a couple times and a lot of positive progress has been made.
Have you selected a pressure sensor to be used with the new calibration?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #733
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
Quote:
This is the fueling going rich in case you slam your foot to the floor, and then leaning back out once it doesn't see full boost pressure. Will be ironed out in future revisions - we are doing some testing with different pressure sensors.

Quote:
I have worked on ironing out the calibration a couple times and a lot of positive progress has been made.
Have you selected a pressure sensor to be used with the new calibration?
Yes. A new pressure sensor is fitted from a turbo BMW variant but plans are probably to release Stage II using the stock MAP sensor first.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #734
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Just over a month in and I'm still loving every bit of it!!! It's like falling in love with the car all over again even thought no love was lost.

I think this is enough power for me as is but whenever the next stage is ready, I'll do it, no rush for me!

BPMSport Positive thoughts for you and your family. Fam comes first.
      06-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #735
jimmtman
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Harrop and Convertible

Does anyone have the Harrop with a convertible? Just curious what it sounds like with the top down.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 07:15 AM   #736
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmtman View Post
Does anyone have the Harrop with a convertible? Just curious what it sounds like with the top down.
I can oblige ;-)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...1pmbnZGUEZIaUE

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 12:54 AM   #737
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0.0

Hey question for the guys that have a boost gauge hooked up to the side port of the Harrop.
Does your gauge read vacuum? Hooked up a mechanical gauge and it doesnt read anything. Only a little movement for boost when I rev it. Just want to confirm that gauge isnt broken.
      06-12-2019, 05:45 AM   #738
nemesis_X
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3

Quote:

---

I finally got my Harrop SC kit installed a couple weeks back and am facing some minor teething issues, hoping to find some answer back on this thread.

Then I came across this piece of news. Very sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you feel better now.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:00 AM   #739
nemesis_X
Rep

Hoping to get some help on an issue I am facing currently.
This is right after installing the Harrop SC Kit, with the BPM Tune that came along with it.
For the record, its a 2010 E93 DCT , stock X-Pipe & Rear Mufflers, Drop in Filter

The car runs fine, pulls hard whenever I gradually push down on the accelerator, runs all the way to the red line without any issues. Doesn't stutter, doesn't throw a code whatsoever.

However if I slam down on the accelerator from a dead stop ( hoping to spin the wheels and create some smoke ( with DSC off, S5 ) , the car revs up moves off quickly but doesn't seem to make or put through enough power to even create a slight screech.

Has anyone encountered and solved this before? I'm intending to put this on a dyno to see if it even makes remotely the power it should.

In the mean time, I'm suspecting it could be either of the following issues :
1) Its knocking & Ignition Timing is pulled when I floor it
2) My stock fuel pump might possibly be on its way out and doesn't provide enough fuel for full boost.
3) Pulley Belt Slipping?

Would be glad if anyone could chime in to maybe point me in the correct direction. I'm on a wild witch hunt now since the car isn't throwing any codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #740
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis_X View Post
Hoping to get some help on an issue I am facing currently.
This is right after installing the Harrop SC Kit, with the BPM Tune that came along with it.
For the record, its a 2010 E93 DCT , stock X-Pipe & Rear Mufflers, Drop in Filter

The car runs fine, pulls hard whenever I gradually push down on the accelerator, runs all the way to the red line without any issues. Doesn't stutter, doesn't throw a code whatsoever.

However if I slam down on the accelerator from a dead stop ( hoping to spin the wheels and create some smoke ( with DSC off, S5 ) , the car revs up moves off quickly but doesn't seem to make or put through enough power to even create a slight screech.

Has anyone encountered and solved this before? I'm intending to put this on a dyno to see if it even makes remotely the power it should.

In the mean time, I'm suspecting it could be either of the following issues :
1) Its knocking & Ignition Timing is pulled when I floor it
2) My stock fuel pump might possibly be on its way out and doesn't provide enough fuel for full boost.
3) Pulley Belt Slipping?

Would be glad if anyone could chime in to maybe point me in the correct direction. I'm on a wild witch hunt now since the car isn't throwing any codes.
I'm no expert on the subject but from what I've read you have the classic Harrop issue when stabbing the throttle. The computer throws a ton of fuel into the motor but the MAP sensor doesn't see the correct boost pressure or something like that. If you read the last few pages on this thread you'll see discussion about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #741
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8500RPM View Post
I'm no expert on the subject but from what I've read you have the classic Harrop issue when stabbing the throttle. The computer throws a ton of fuel into the motor but the MAP sensor doesn't see the correct boost pressure or something like that. If you read the last few pages on this thread you'll see discussion about it.
I doubt its this. Hes flooring the car. That issue only happens when you back off between different throttle positions. Fuel pump is likely the cause is my guess. I replaced my fuel pump when I did the install because I was worried about its age.

Coils were my issue on the dyno. But even when my coils were on their way out I could liquefy the tires with slip control off from a start. I just got jumpy dyno results near the top end.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #742
nemesis_X
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
I doubt its this. Hes flooring the car. That issue only happens when you back off between different throttle positions. Fuel pump is likely the cause is my guess. I replaced my fuel pump when I did the install because I was worried about its age.

Coils were my issue on the dyno. But even when my coils were on their way out I could liquefy the tires with slip control off from a start. I just got jumpy dyno results near the top end.
I do have around 46,000 miles on the clock and its 8.5 years old now. Its not throwing any codes nor am i hearing and odd noises from the back.

That said, I did notice a sort of low tone screechy/ sucking noise coming from the back of the car (definitely not the rear tires) as I reach the upper ends of the rpm ranges, Both on 1st & 2nd.

I'll try to pull my fuel pump to see if its clogged or something first.

Whats the best/easiest way to tell if I'm not getting enough fuel in?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #743
M.Hagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
I do have around 46,000 miles on the clock and its 8.5 years old now. Its not throwing any codes nor am i hearing and odd noises from the back.

That said, I did notice a sort of low tone screechy/ sucking noise coming from the back of the car (definitely not the rear tires) as I reach the upper ends of the rpm ranges, Both on 1st & 2nd.

I'll try to pull my fuel pump to see if its clogged or something first.

Whats the best/easiest way to tell if I'm not getting enough fuel in?
The best way is to purchase a data logger that can monitor and record the relevant DME parameters. I have this for when I'm on the dyno or doing road pulls for datalogs Mike requests.

The easiest way is to install an OBD gauge like P3 (what I have). This monitors boost, air-fuel, ignition, etc.

Both options will give you a window into your fueling - air/fuel ratio will answer some of your questions.
      06-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #744
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The easiest way is to install an OBD gauge like P3 (what I have). This monitors boost, air-fuel, ignition, etc.
Speaking of this P3 gauge, at idle what does everyone's show in boost view? Mine is sitting at 0.5 and couldn't remember what it should read at idle.

Thanks in advance!
      06-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #745
M.Hagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
Speaking of this P3 gauge, at idle what does everyone's show in boost view? Mine is sitting at 0.5 and couldn't remember what it should read at idle.

Thanks in advance!
Mine varies between 0.0 and 0.6. I don't think the Harrop is producing positive pressure at idle, so it is likely the integrated P3 pressure sensor can hang (get stuck) around ambient pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallx View Post
Hey question for the guys that have a boost gauge hooked up to the side port of the Harrop.
Does your gauge read vacuum? Hooked up a mechanical gauge and it doesnt read anything. Only a little movement for boost when I rev it. Just want to confirm that gauge isnt broken.
The S65 has individual throttle bodies, so vacuum will only measure between the throttle valve and intake valve. Where the Harrop sits above the throttle, idle will only register ambient pressure using the Harrop boost port.
      06-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #746
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine varies between 0.0 and 0.6. I don't think the Harrop is producing positive pressure at idle, so it is likely the integrated P3 pressure sensor can hang (get stuck) around ambient pressure.
Ok cool. Just double checking, thanks!
      06-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #747
nemesis_X
Rep

Quote:
The best way is to purchase a data logger that can monitor and record the relevant DME parameters. I have this for when I'm on the dyno or doing road pulls for datalogs Mike requests.

Both options will give you a window into your fueling - air/fuel ratio will answer some of your questions.
Thank you for the information.

What are the chances of the S65's Fuel Pump going bad in the first place anyway.

The reason I didnt get it changed out in the first place was because reading through years of feedback , and there was never much complaint about the fuel pump going bad, unlike the HPFP issues on the 335's
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #748
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
Thank you for the information.

What are the chances of the S65's Fuel Pump going bad in the first place anyway.

The reason I didnt get it changed out in the first place was because reading through years of feedback , and there was never much complaint about the fuel pump going bad, unlike the HPFP issues on the 335's
More likely to have a ekp module then a fuel pump failure. Pump failure in am3 is pretty rare.
Appreciate 0