BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-04-2017, 12:31 AM   #67
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
sirdaft1's Avatar
United_States
1836
Rep
3,212
Posts

Drives: '12 X5 xDrive35i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago West Burbs

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Are any of you guys from this thread on Instagram? jmg I already follow you , and would happily follow others in this thread who are working on betting their photo skills to give some feedback. I certainly am alway honing my skills either from a composition or post standpoint.

My username: daftphotog
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 12:58 AM   #68
FMLYSDN
Major
FMLYSDN's Avatar
Canada
818
Rep
1,258
Posts

Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post
I would say the car is. It's the only one that I shot from that angle. It's a shame. Guess I'll have to go shoot it again!
I would. It's a great location! I would find a way to straighten those buildings though. Are on an inclined portion of the parking structure?
Nice catch. Not sure how I would do that. It looks as if the left side buildings tilt to the right while the left side is the opposite. Perhaps it's and optical illusion?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 01:42 AM   #69
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
sirdaft1's Avatar
United_States
1836
Rep
3,212
Posts

Drives: '12 X5 xDrive35i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago West Burbs

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
One quick tip for any newer photographers. Shoot in RAW every opportunity you get and spend time getting to know Lightroom. If you have questions, feel free to ask. Those two tips should be prerequisites for anyone passionate about upping their photo game

Before (thanks SmugMug for low res versions):


After:
Appreciate 2
jmg4545.50
3GFX501.50

      07-04-2017, 03:46 AM   #70
jmg
Major General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
4546
Rep
5,715
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3, i3 REx
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post
Nice catch. Not sure how I would do that. It looks as if the left side buildings tilt to the right while the left side is the opposite. Perhaps it's and optical illusion?
I just noticed that. In that case it's lens distortion and can be fixed in Lightroom or photoshop. Sometimes lens distortion is desirable though. How wide were you for this shot?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
One quick tip for any newer photographers. Shoot in RAW every opportunity you get and spend time getting to know Lightroom. If you have questions, feel free to ask. Those two tips should be prerequisites for anyone passionate about upping their photo game

Before (thanks SmugMug for low res versions):


After:
Great work! I really like the mood you set!
__________________
F80 ///M3
i3 REx Giga World
Previous: F30 340i M Sport ZTR • F30 328i Sport • Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250
Appreciate 1
sirdaft11835.50

      07-04-2017, 03:51 AM   #71
jmg
Major General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
4546
Rep
5,715
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3, i3 REx
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Are any of you guys from this thread on Instagram? jmg I already follow you , and would happily follow others in this thread who are working on betting their photo skills to give some feedback. I certainly am alway honing my skills either from a composition or post standpoint.

My username: daftphotog
Great photos on your IG! I haven't posted in my automotive IG in awhile, unfortunately. I gotta get back out there!

IG: Raging_F80
__________________
F80 ///M3
i3 REx Giga World
Previous: F30 340i M Sport ZTR • F30 328i Sport • Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250
Appreciate 1
sirdaft11835.50

      07-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #72
BimmerLO
New Member
BimmerLO's Avatar
1
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: best car
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: oakland

iTrader: (0)

Wow, that requires real skills, well done
__________________
A BMW can't take you as far as a diploma.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #73
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
metrickid's Avatar
Netherlands
2938
Rep
4,230
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Autobahn

iTrader: (0)

Just a quick edit for todays Instagram post (#wheelwednesday).

Name:  before.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  1.12 MB

Name:  after.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  1.58 MB

Name:  layers.png
Views: 360
Size:  69.4 KB
Appreciate 1
sirdaft11835.50

      07-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #74
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
sirdaft1's Avatar
United_States
1836
Rep
3,212
Posts

Drives: '12 X5 xDrive35i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago West Burbs

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Just a quick edit for todays Instagram post (#wheelwednesday).
Very nice, really sharpened up the wheels. Nice post
Appreciate 1
metrickid2937.50

      07-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #75
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
metrickid's Avatar
Netherlands
2938
Rep
4,230
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Autobahn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Very nice, really sharpened up the wheels. Nice post
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #76
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
metrickid's Avatar
Netherlands
2938
Rep
4,230
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Autobahn

iTrader: (0)

Another before/after from todays Instagram post.

Name:  DSC4800-Camera.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  946.2 KB

Name:  DSC4800-Edited.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  1.68 MB

Name:  Skärmavbild 2017-07-24 kl. 09.57.42.png
Views: 321
Size:  101.7 KB
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN817.50

      07-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #77
dcstep
Major General
United_States
764
Rep
7,137
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Another before/after from todays Instagram post.
You didn't do what I'd do first thing, take those reflections off the windshield.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #78
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
metrickid's Avatar
Netherlands
2938
Rep
4,230
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Autobahn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
You didn't do what I'd do first thing, take those reflections off the windshield.
No need, not as visible on Instagram and shot without a polarizer so reflections are inevitable. Way to much work to remove them in a good way anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #79
dcstep
Major General
United_States
764
Rep
7,137
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
No need, not as visible on Instagram and shot without a polarizer so reflections are inevitable. Way to much work to remove them in a good way anyway.
Oh, I didn't realize that the goal was instagram.

It'd be easy to take them out in LR or PS.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #80
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
metrickid's Avatar
Netherlands
2938
Rep
4,230
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Autobahn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Oh, I didn't realize that the goal was instagram.

It'd be easy to take them out in LR or PS.
Why the rolling of the eyes?
I edit the photos to get better at it but post them on Instagram (as mentioned in my first post).

And no, it is not easy to remove the reflections. It is a PITA if you want to do it the right way. Sure you can just use a few adjustment layers to hide it in small sizes but nothing that works in print which is what I'm editing for usually.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #81
dcstep
Major General
United_States
764
Rep
7,137
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Why the rolling of the eyes?
I edit the photos to get better at it but post them on Instagram (as mentioned in my first post).

And no, it is not easy to remove the reflections. It is a PITA if you want to do it the right way. Sure you can just use a few adjustment layers to hide it in small sizes but nothing that works in print which is what I'm editing for usually.
Print, or Instagram, which is it?

Don't get your panties in a wad. I happened to be viewing it here, on a competent website, and I just said that I'd get rid of those reflections. You used six layers to basically up the EV of an underexposed file and make one red line prominent, so I assumed that you'd know how to easily remove the reflections.
__________________
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep1028.50

      07-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #82
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
sirdaft1's Avatar
United_States
1836
Rep
3,212
Posts

Drives: '12 X5 xDrive35i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago West Burbs

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Print, or Instagram, which is it?

Don't get your panties in a wad. I happened to be viewing it here, on a competent website, and I just said that I'd get rid of those reflections. You used six layers to basically up the EV of an underexposed file and make one red line prominent, so I assumed that you'd know how to easily remove the reflections.
Would you have a walk through on easily removing reflections? Legit question. I too have seen it as being thoroughly time consuming; but if you have a quick way to do it, always open to learning more efficient processes.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep1028.50

      07-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #83
Ickdeep
Lieutenant Colonel
Ickdeep's Avatar
United_States
1029
Rep
1,680
Posts

Drives: '13 F10 535Xi
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Would you have a walk through on easily removing reflections? Legit question. I too have seen it as being thoroughly time consuming; but if you have a quick way to do it, always open to learning more efficient processes.
I would definitely like to see how that's done... maybe a YouTube tutorial?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #84
dcstep
Major General
United_States
764
Rep
7,137
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I would definitely like to see how that's done... maybe a YouTube tutorial?
Using the shot that started the discussion, I'd use that benign reflection to our upper left and Clone it over most of the rest of the windshield. Our left windshield edge includes a dark band that I'd want to preserve, so you'd have to go to a smaller size brush for that Clone, The first Clone could use a very large brush, like 200-pixels. 100% opaque, but with a feathered edge. The second Clone would be a brush about twice as wide as the dark strip, or maybe just as wide as the dark strip. I'd test to see which looked best.

It'd take a few minutes, but that's a small investment, if I were going to print.

There are other ways to do it, but since there's that nice benign, large segment of windshield, I'd use that.

Everything from just above and outside the bird, including space in beak, was Cloned in 5-minutes. If I were going to print it large, I'd spend another 10 to 15-minutes, getting it smoother. This is my "online version" and I'll never print this particular shot. Still, it does take more time to get a shot "print ready". If I hadn't mentioned the Cloning, you wouldn't be looking nearly so close at this shot:

Landing by David Stephens, on Flickr
__________________
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep1028.50

      07-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #85
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
metrickid's Avatar
Netherlands
2938
Rep
4,230
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Autobahn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Print, or Instagram, which is it?

Don't get your panties in a wad. I happened to be viewing it here, on a competent website, and I just said that I'd get rid of those reflections. You used six layers to basically up the EV of an underexposed file and make one red line prominent, so I assumed that you'd know how to easily remove the reflections.
Lol, I'm well aware of how to remove reflections but as I said there is no quick and easy way to do it so I didn't care for this image.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #86
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
metrickid's Avatar
Netherlands
2938
Rep
4,230
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Autobahn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
If I hadn't mentioned the Cloning, you wouldn't be looking nearly so close at this shot
It is super easy to spot in this image and looks quite bad. You need to lower the flow if you use the clone tool or use the healing brush instead within local areas.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #87
dcstep
Major General
United_States
764
Rep
7,137
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
It is super easy to spot in this image and looks quite bad. You need to lower the flow if you use the clone tool or use the healing brush instead within local areas.
Exactly. Thanks.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #88
are0lies
Major
United_States
3106
Rep
1,074
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E93
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Riverside

iTrader: (0)

Is this any better?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST