BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #67
JabzSA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '13 MW 6MT

I do think that the new M3/M4 looks awesome and aggressive.

Would I sell / trade my E92? Nope. I wont bash those who have jumped ship and gotten the new shiny toy on the block. Good for them.

I love this shape, I love the engine and other aspects and to give me an edge - I will install a SC (fingers crossed). I want to see how the SC with the S65 motors feels....

I've always wanted a M5...but could never afford...the current shape looks nice, but I would prefer the E60. (The shape many "professional journos / critics" hate).

At the end, its in the eye of the beholder. Whatever tickles your fancy. IMO
'13 M3, Melbourne Red, ZCP(sold)
'08 M3, Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #68
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabzSA View Post
I do think that the new M3/M4 looks awesome and aggressive.

Would I sell / trade my E92? Nope. I wont bash those who have jumped ship and gotten the new shiny toy on the block. Good for them.

I love this shape, I love the engine and other aspects and to give me an edge - I will install a SC (fingers crossed). I want to see how the SC with the S65 motors feels....

I've always wanted a M5...but could never afford...the current shape looks nice, but I would prefer the E60. (The shape many "professional journos / critics" hate).

At the end, its in the eye of the beholder. Whatever tickles your fancy. IMO
I highly recommend the supercharger idea. I was in love with my car before I had it and now I lust over it .

The M4/3 has zero appeal for me and it's kind of sad. I've always been a huge ///M3 fan of all generations, but this latest M4/3 model is so low on my car list that I'll never ever consider it in its current format.
      01-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #69
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

The short answer is no.
Some cool reading material for those who regret their purchase:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...=_hpTrnsprtr_5
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #70
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Well said. I have no regrets. In fact, quite the opposite: I made the decision to buy a 2013 in part because it would be the one of the last naturally aspirated M cars to roll off the assembly line. I believed then and still believe it will be a classic someday.

I'll be honest: I think the F80 M3 looks awesome, but the F82 M4 looks like ass. If my E92 were stock, I could see the appeal, but with the mods I've put in it (and will soon add), there's no way. Like Fog, my long-term plan is to drive this car for as long as possible. When this engine wears out, I'd like to drop in a Dinan 4.6 stroker or their bored 4.2 with some cams and a 3.45 diff. Shed weight, add power, fix what breaks.

Probably the only other cars that excite me right now are the Carrera GTS, Cayman GTS, or the 991 GT3. But I told my wife when I got the M3 that I wouldn't buy a different car if we had $1 million in the bank, so I guess I'll have to wait until we have $2 million.

That photo is funny. My wife who is Japanese always sees these people tattooed with Kanji or Chinese characters and my wife just starts laughing as the characters used may sound the same but they don't have the same meaning, or the meaning that was intended. In other words, EPIC FAIL!!

Regarding the rest of your post I concur wholeheartedly.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #71
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
The short answer is no.
wow! what a good find
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 11:24 PM   #72
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

I have a Dinan S1 e92 M3 with the mid pipe and race tune and it is among the best cars I have ever driven. I suggest you do that and all of your regrets and worries will go away
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #73
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Once a sexy car, always a sexy car. e9x and e46's clean lines have aged well. I think they'll age better than the f8x's busier look. I don't mind having a classic looking car...not that the e9x is an old bugger yet. Still looks fresh to me.
Couldn't agree more. The f8x looks good, but I do not think the e9x looks dated whatsoever. And while the e46 is looking like an older car, it is still a very good looking car. Some cars age better than others and the M3 is aging very gracefully. If you have the need to always have the newest thing then go for it, but the more I think about it, the more I feel that I am going to have to spend a lot more money to really get a car that gives an overall driving experience that is really a step above the e9x M3 both objectively and subjectively.
      01-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #74
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

E92 is a bit long in the tooth but still a beauty. In the grand scheme an E92 M3 is a far newer design than most cars on the road. We just don't pay attention to the rest of the boring utilitarian metal coffins on the road. They blend in with the general mass of traffic.

M4 is fine. a bit more modern, not as cool sounding. etc...fact is, I'm kind of bored even thinking of something to say about the M4 so I'll just click post quick reply and get back to work or leave the office.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #75
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

OP enjoy your E92, doesn't look dated. If your car doesn't see any serious track time, pass on the M4 and wait for the next get C63 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #76
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Quote:
The short answer is no.
Excellent read, thanks for sharing. Wonder what kind of responses this would elicit in the F8x forums.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #77
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Excellent read, thanks for sharing. Wonder what kind of responses this would elicit in the F8x forums.
LOL. I can just imagine...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 02:36 AM   #78
Action JacksonE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 DCT

Love my E92. I had it for 5 months and enjoy it. I live in LA and see all kinds of cars that I want. My only issue is not having enough power when a tuned M4 GTR, or 911 pulls next to me when I'm at the light. Or during runs up the Mulholland snake. But I guess you can't beat everyone. Just stay in your lane and be happy with what you have.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #79
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action JacksonE92 View Post
Love my E92. I had it for 5 months and enjoy it. I live in LA and see all kinds of cars that I want. My only issue is not having enough power when a tuned M4 GTR, or 911 pulls next to me when I'm at the light. Or during runs up the Mulholland snake. But I guess you can't beat everyone. Just stay in your lane and be happy with what you have.
Why would that matter vin diesel?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #80
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
The short answer is no.
Thanks for sharing.
      01-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #81
briggs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 ZCP MW 08' Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Simple- Keep it until the LCI.
No way I'd pay that much and not get LED tail lights.
Thats exactly what I'm going to do. Or wait for the ZCP version.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #82
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I ordered and custom built the E92 in 2012, taking delivery May 2013.

I heard the next M would have a turd-ocharged engine and didn't want one. I also wanted to own the last ///M engine in history.

In the end BMW did what everyone feared and did make a turbo engine. As expected, no matter how good BMW is at making engines -and they are very good- they cannot fix the issues Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche have not been able to fix either, namely:
-turbolag
-vacuum cleaner sound
-incredibly boring power range best suited to 83 year old librarians

As expected the new M is also faster and more fuel efficient when driven like said librarian.

I consider getting the new M as an additional car for the track or to keep the miles off the E92, but never, *ever* to replace it. I was seriously planning on getting one for the track until EVO car rated it badly and I realized the ///Marketing decision of making stupid fixed headrest front seats meant no Quikfit harnesses, which means no Hans device unless you weld a cage into the car...

Every M generation fixes some things and breaks others. The F8X generation has broken most of the things I enjoy daily driving M cars, which is response and wonderful sound, having an engine that is engineered to go into a dedicated performance car and which is sold in a regular car's body.

In the end there are some M enthusiasts whose dream car is a GT-R or Porsche Turbo. Others set their sights at a GT3 because they understand real engineering goes into NA engines, not turbos.
I am firmly in the GT3 camp. I would not want a 911 Turbo for anything, other than selling it and buying a GT3.
I have driven a 650hp GT-R. Almost fell asleep. The vacuum cleaner drone sound and crappy response ensure I will never have one of those.

Lastly, it does not seem the motoring press is very enthused. The F10 M5 already got bad reviews due to the boring engine and the new M3 has not had good ones either. EVO car recently rated it one point in front of a true piece of shit, the Audi S1. And at around 1/5 of the points of another piece of crap, the Golf R.
If an M does not get higher points than front wheel drive based hot hatches well BMW, you have a problem.

Interestingly it seems like BMW has caught the attention of a whole different crowd with the new M cars. The crowd which loves torque because they lack the ability to shift and do not understand the driveability at the limit will be hurt by so much of it, the ones happy with 5000rpm peak horsepower in midly tuned cars, the ones who ohh and ahh at fixed headrest seats and never think about the lack of Hans devices for track use because the closest they get to a track is a Forza 4 game.

I could go on and on...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #83
MDREDev
Banned
Rep
Drives: Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I ordered and custom built the E92 in 2012, taking delivery May 2013.

I heard the next M would have a turd-ocharged engine and didn't want one. I also wanted to own the last ///M engine in history.

In the end BMW did what everyone feared and did make a turbo engine. As expected, no matter how good BMW is at making engines -and they are very good- they cannot fix the issues Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche have not been able to fix either, namely:
-turbolag
-vacuum cleaner sound
-incredibly boring power range best suited to 83 year old librarians

As expected the new M is also faster and more fuel efficient when driven like said librarian.

I consider getting the new M as an additional car for the track or to keep the miles off the E92, but never, *ever* to replace it. I was seriously planning on getting one for the track until EVO car rated it badly and I realized the ///Marketing decision of making stupid fixed headrest front seats meant no Quikfit harnesses, which means no Hans device unless you weld a cage into the car...

Every M generation fixes some things and breaks others. The F8X generation has broken most of the things I enjoy daily driving M cars, which is response and wonderful sound, having an engine that is engineered to go into a dedicated performance car and which is sold in a regular car's body.

In the end there are some M enthusiasts whose dream car is a GT-R or Porsche Turbo. Others set their sights at a GT3 because they understand real engineering goes into NA engines, not turbos.
I am firmly in the GT3 camp. I would not want a 911 Turbo for anything, other than selling it and buying a GT3.
I have driven a 650hp GT-R. Almost fell asleep. The vacuum cleaner drone sound and crappy response ensure I will never have one of those.

Lastly, it does not seem the motoring press is very enthused. The F10 M5 already got bad reviews due to the boring engine and the new M3 has not had good ones either. EVO car recently rated it one point in front of a true piece of shit, the Audi S1. And at around 1/5 of the points of another piece of crap, the Golf R.
If an M does not get higher points than front wheel drive based hot hatches well BMW, you have a problem.

Interestingly it seems like BMW has caught the attention of a whole different crowd with the new M cars. The crowd which loves torque because they lack the ability to shift and do not understand the driveability at the limit will be hurt by so much of it, the ones happy with 5000rpm peak horsepower in midly tuned cars, the ones who ohh and ahh at fixed headrest seats and never think about the lack of Hans devices for track use because the closest they get to a track is a Forza 4 game.

I could go on and on...
Great...continue to read Evo and TopGear magazine, listen to all the reviews from all the pundits and form your decision based upon that. Great way to "experience" a car. Please move on....Rennlist is this way >>>>>>>>..just don't venture into the GT2 or Turbo section for godsake.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #84
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:

I could go on and on...
You are making some very broad generalizations that do not hold up. Most people that I know with an F8X came from another M car (E46, F9X, etc.). Most of them have a 6MT not a DCT. Many of them have many hours of track time and are successfully tracking their F8X. Are there some people that meet your definition? Probably. Were there people that were of those same qualities that purchased F9X Ms when they were new? Probably.

The F8X is a fantastic automobile. You don't have to agree or like the car, but there is no reason to bash the people that chose to purchase one. The F8X is no less an M than the F9X and drivers of both are enthusiasts regardless of their choice.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2015, 12:45 AM   #85
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
You are making some very broad generalizations that do not hold up. Most people that I know with an F8X came from another M car (E46, F9X, etc.). Most of them have a 6MT not a DCT. Many of them have many hours of track time and are successfully tracking their F8X. Are there some people that meet your definition? Probably. Were there people that were of those same qualities that purchased F9X Ms when they were new? Probably.

The F8X is a fantastic automobile. You don't have to agree or like the car, but there is no reason to bash the people that chose to purchase one. The F8X is no less an M than the F9X and drivers of both are enthusiasts regardless of their choice.
IMO its ok to bash the people and the car they drive. lets be honest, a lot of people buy certain cars for certain reasons. hell even i will tell you, i buy a BMW M3 because its good looking car, sporty, has luxury, and out of reach of many people. some people would call that being a prick, which i totally true.

I dont care how fast a mustang is, the car is to affordable for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #86
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:

I could go on and on...
Ouch!!! I am taking this personally now
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #87
Action JacksonE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
Why would that matter vin diesel?
Cause I live my life a quarter mile at a time! Lol.

For obvious reasons. Nobody wants to get smoked at a light.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #88
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Cause I live my life a quarter mile at a time! Lol.

For obvious reasons. Nobody wants to get smoked at a light.
Eh I could care less. I don't want to get smoked at the track and that's usually a different set of variables.
Appreciate 0