BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

05-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
syncros
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Brake fluid quantity for a full flush ???

Hello,

I'm leaving for Mosport on June 6-7 and need to change my pads and brake fluid before leaving on Friday morning.

I just received my Carbotech XP12 and just bought Motul RF600 brake fluid but only bought 2 x 500ml bottles as I was told that this was enough for a full flush. Is that right or how much would you recommend?
Can I start to bleed the rear calipers tonight a do the front tomorrow or is that dangerous?

Thanks Vince
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 540i/6, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncros View Post
Hello,

I'm leaving for Mosport on June 6-7 and need to change my pads and brake fluid before leaving on Friday morning.

I just received my Carbotech XP12 and just bought Motul RF600 brake fluid but only bought 2 x 500ml bottles as I was told that this was enough for a full flush. Is that right or how much would you recommend?
Can I start to bleed the rear calipers tonight a do the front tomorrow or is that dangerous?
I would suggest a third bottle to have on hand as normally 2 isn't quite enough. Do all the bleeding at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Racing - Chris_B View Post
I would suggest a third bottle to have on hand as normally 2 isn't quite enough. Do all the bleeding at the same time.
Quick related question for 6MT cars: Since we don't have a separate clutch fluid reservoir (that SUCKS!), and the hose is attached at the 'min' level, Do you suck the brake fluid reservoir below the clutch line??? I personally don't like to let the hoses get any air since bubbles can lodge on hard-to-bleed places, but with the clutch attached so high up on the reservoir, wonder if you folks suck the reservoir dry anyway, or prefer to fill it up with those brake fluid bottles that keep the level at the top all the time (I have one of those) and take your time bleeding until fluid looks clear in the reservoir. It takes longer for sure, but we can be sure of no air inside the lines as well. Just curious, but I'll replace my brake fluid every year so no crude forms inside the reservoir and I don't have to suck it dry. Appreciate any answers. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 540i/6, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Quick related question for 6MT cars: Since we don't have a separate clutch fluid reservoir (that SUCKS!), and the hose is attached at the 'min' level, Do you suck the brake fluid reservoir below the clutch line??? I personally don't like to let the hoses get any air since bubbles can lodge on hard-to-bleed places, but with the clutch attached so high up on the reservoir, wonder if you folks suck the reservoir dry anyway, or prefer to fill it up with those brake fluid bottles that keep the level at the top all the time (I have one of those) and take your time bleeding until fluid looks clear in the reservoir. It takes longer for sure, but we can be sure of no air inside the lines as well. Just curious, but I'll replace my brake fluid every year so no crude forms inside the reservoir and I don't have to suck it dry. Appreciate any answers. Thx.
You can safely suck the old fluid out of the reservoir and replace it with new BEFORE you start stroking the pedal. Since there is no pressure in the clutch line, any air bubbles will migrate upward on their own. Some people even bleed the clutch from the bottom up (like I used to do on my E34), but I haven't done that personally on an E9x yet. Maybe someone who has could chime in?
Appreciate 0