BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
that_grey_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3 6 spd

Drop in filter vs Air intake?

So I currently have a BMC drop in filter in my 2008 e92 m3. I was considering the AFE stage 2 carbon fibre elbow intake. Although after reading several threads I have heard of some rattling noise issues and a few others.

My question is....is it really worth spending this much money for an air intake? I read that majority of the gains come from the air filter primarily (especially for earlier models m3s like mine because of the charcoal filter), and I feel like this would mainly be a cosmetic mod. After reading more and more I can't really justify buying an air intake. Also my exhaust is quite loud so I am not sure if I will be able to hear a difference in cabin.

Should I just stick with my drop in filter I recently purchased and just call it a day?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_grey_m3 View Post
So I currently have a BMC drop in filter in my 2008 e92 m3. I was considering the AFE stage 2 carbon fibre elbow intake. Although after reading several threads I have heard of some rattling noise issues and a few others.

My question is....is it really worth spending this much money for an air intake? I read that majority of the gains come from the air filter primarily (especially for earlier models m3s like mine because of the charcoal filter), and I feel like this would mainly be a cosmetic mod. After reading more and more I can't really justify buying an air intake. Also my exhaust is quite loud so I am not sure if I will be able to hear a difference in cabin.

Should I just stick with my drop in filter I recently purchased and just call it a day?
After my experience going from drop in filter to used macht schnell Id say it's more cosmetic. I felt no difference whatsoever but I went from 1 used filter to another used filter.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

My AFE oiled drop in filter was worth 4.5rwhp, the AFE Stg. 2 oiled CAI I got 10.8rwhp. I didn't feel any difference at all, but the sound did improve as the CF elbow let a lot of the harmonics out vs. the plastic.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 2