BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

05-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #23
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacek View Post
Did this today and it worked like a charm !!

I took a wild guess and removed the rear passenger wheel, and jumped that sensor. I reset everything while only this one was jumped, and the red brake light reset nicely, along with the mileage for next service.

Plugged it back in, and all is great now.
Great!

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #24
d0o0fy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacek View Post
Did this today and it worked like a charm !!

I took a wild guess and removed the rear passenger wheel, and jumped that sensor. I reset everything while only this one was jumped, and the red brake light reset nicely, along with the mileage for next service.

Plugged it back in, and all is great now.
Alright, I have tried several times now and still no luck, so I'm at a loss. I have tried resetting without changing anything on the sensors; obviously didn't work. Tried resetting while front right was jumped; didn't worked. Tried putting back the sensors in the stock pads (they are usually tied to the control arms) and reset; didn't work either.

The sensors (fronts and back) look good and don't seem damaged or anything.

I learned my lessons and will reset before the counter runs down next time, but it got down REALLY fast!

Anybody have any idea?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #25
ailikesiliu
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90m3 997.2gt3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0o0fy View Post
Alright, I have tried several times now and still no luck, so I'm at a loss. I have tried resetting without changing anything on the sensors; obviously didn't work. Tried resetting while front right was jumped; didn't worked. Tried putting back the sensors in the stock pads (they are usually tied to the control arms) and reset; didn't work either.

I learned my lessons and will reset before the counter runs down next time, but it got down REALLY fast!

Anybody have any idea?
you sure you jumped the right wires? "disconnect the sensor and jump the two wires on the harness connector that the sensor connects to"...
You need to take out the two wires inside the harness connector and jump them.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #26
d0o0fy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1988
Quote:

Anybody have any idea?
you sure you jumped the right wires? "disconnect the sensor and jump the two wires on the harness connector that the sensor connects to"...
Yup that's what I did. Disconnected the white connector from inside the little black box in the front wheel well and shorted it with a jumper wire.
2013 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT (06/13 built) :: Melbourne Red & Fox Red/Black/Black 2-tone :: H&R Sports+ Springs :: Ground Control Camber plates :: Essex/AP-Racing Radical Pro 5000R (CP9660) Front BBK :: 275/35/18 Maxxis RC1 on OZ Challenge HLT (track)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #27
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0o0fy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1988
Quote:

Anybody have any idea?
Yup that's what I did. Disconnected the white connector from inside the little black box in the front wheel well and shorted it with a jumper wire.
That should do the trick, it works on all years

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #28
d0o0fy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
That should do the trick, it works on all years
I think I'm too thick to make this happen. I've tried I don't know how many times now, that damn thing still won't reset!

Here is my jump wire at the sensor connector, and I'm 100% sure that the circuit is bridged.

I bought one (yep just one I'm a cheap bastard) new sensor and connected it at the front right. Performed the reset procedure on the instrument cluster, and I still end up with the damned dashes! I guess my next option is either to buy the complete set of sensors to replace my perfectly good sensors or let my dealer deal with this whole mess.

Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 02:16 AM   #29
ailikesiliu
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90m3 997.2gt3rs

Quote:
I think I'm too thick to make this happen. I've tried I don't know how many times now, that damn thing still won't reset!

Here is my jump wire at the sensor connector, and I'm 100% sure that the circuit is bridged.

I bought one (yep just one I'm a cheap bastard) new sensor and connected it at the front right. Performed the reset procedure on the instrument cluster, and I still end up with the damned dashes! I guess my next option is either to buy the complete set of sensors to replace my perfectly good sensors or let my dealer deal with this whole mess.

Any other ideas?
Use a small screw driver to push the two wires out of the white connector and jump them.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #30
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Hey guys, I just did this procedure of shorting out the rear sensor harness and it appeared to work...for a while.

About 2500 miles later, I am got a yellow warning saying that the rear brakes needed to be serviced in 1000 miles, then 800, then 600. It's counting down faster than the distance I am driving.

Time for a new sensor?
      08-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #31
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^try doing all three corners at the same time. A new sensor is never needed unless it's damaged or worn out.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #32
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

damn, just found this thread after i made a new thread about it. think the dealer would take advice from a customer to reset all three sensors at the same time?
      08-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #33
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
think the dealer would take advice from a customer to reset all three sensors at the same time?
dealer? doubt it, they'll stick you with new sensors

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #34
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
^try doing all three corners at the same time. A new sensor is never needed unless it's damaged or worn out.
Shit, getting the whole car up in the air at once is a bitch. Between my lip, skirts, the jack pads, and ride height, it's damn near impossible.

I need to check to make sure there isn't any wear on the sensor.
      08-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #35
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO
Quote:
Shit, getting the whole car up in the air at once is a bitch. Between my lip, skirts, the jack pads, and ride height, it's damn near impossible.

I need to check to make sure there isn't any wear on the sensor.
Double check the sensors for damage also

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #36
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Thanks for the posts...I know this is an M3 Forum, but I got here as an F07 owner with the same reset problem...replaced my front brakes including aftermarket sensor - got the "impossible to reset' message and 'visit the Dealer asap' warnings...shorting the sensor wire allowed me to reset the service indicator (to 80,000 kms) and then when reconnecting the new sensor, saw that somehow I had cut the wire close to the caliper... - likely reason for the 'impossible' warning...fixed that up and all seems good. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #37
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

I had this issue occur again on my '08 E90 M3. I had replaced the front brakes (with new sensors) a little while ago. However, since the rears were trailing by about 2K miles, I held off on those. When I tried to reset the fronts, I got the red car on a lift, dashes on both front and rear intervals. I even tried temporarily connecting a shorted sensor to the rear and rest but to no avail. (I think, at this point, I might have been trying to reset again too soon after the last time.)

Fast forward to just a couple of days ago… I finally got around to replacing the rear brakes (and sensor). With everything in place, I reset the rears and everything fell into place. The fronts showed 41K miles remaining, the rears 45K. All is well
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #38
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

how do you reset the service indicator?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 02:12 AM   #39
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOSS M View Post
how do you reset the service indicator?
See post #21, at the end
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #40
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I could not reset my cabin filter service and brake warning once, due to custom coding in my Kombi ECU. I reset it back to default (SG_Coderein) and I was able to reset both service warnings. Then I recoded the features I wanted back into my Kombi. This was after replacing brake wear sensors too. Tripped me out. All I coded was digital speed display, true speed and the new DSC icon. But that prevented my service resets. This was on my 07 335i coupe.
      10-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #41
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

I attempted to reset my rear brake service before reading this thread and now it's showing front and rear pads need to be replaced which they don't. So in theory I should be able to disconnect and reconnect the pad sensors from their harness and reset the interval again?

Or if that doesn't work jump all three (think there is only one in the rear) all at the same time?

Or I can buy 3 new sensors from ECS and replace them?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #42
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genericuser1 View Post
I attempted to reset my rear brake service before reading this thread and now it's showing front and rear pads need to be replaced which they don't. So in theory I should be able to disconnect and reconnect the pad sensors from their harness and reset the interval again?

Or if that doesn't work jump all three (think there is only one in the rear) all at the same time?

Or I can buy 3 new sensors from ECS and replace them?
No, it will know that you just unplugged and re-plugged your old sensors. It measures the resistance in the sensor and it'll look for a new sensor (has different resistance). Jumping it gives it the same idea that it has a new sensor plugged so that will work. But if you plug in your old sensor again, it will reduce the mileage count down.

Jumping it and plugging back in the old ones tricked it at first but reduced the mileage count down. It reset to 20k miles when I jumped it. When I plugged in the old sensor, it changed the mileage left to 1000 miles. And then it counted down to 0 miles from there.

I ended up just replacing the sensors. Sensors are cheap but they can be a pain in the ass to reach and replace i.e. the rear one needs you to remove the fender liner.
      10-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #43
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
No, it will know that you just unplugged and re-plugged your old sensors. It measures the resistance in the sensor and it'll look for a new sensor (has different resistance). Jumping it gives it the same idea that it has a new sensor plugged so that will work. But if you plug in your old sensor again, it will reduce the mileage count down.

Jumping it and plugging back in the old ones tricked it at first but reduced the mileage count down. It reset to 20k miles when I jumped it. When I plugged in the old sensor, it changed the mileage left to 1000 miles. And then it counted down to 0 miles from there.

I ended up just replacing the sensors. Sensors are cheap but they can be a pain in the ass to reach and replace i.e. the rear one needs you to remove the fender liner.
Thanks, I'll just have to deal with the error then. I'll replace my rear pads in a few month and do a sensor swap then.

I'll unplug and re-plug the fronts as they were fine until I tried resetting the rears now it shows both.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #44
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep

I bought three new sensors and will replace the fronts while I do my oil change this weekend. The rear I'll attempt when I swap wheels in a week or so. With my Google Fu it seems the passenger side rear has the brake sensor which needs the liner partly removed to get to.

Any issue with just zip tying the sensor out of the way and not inserting it into the pad since I visually check them?
Appreciate 0