BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

06-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
"Starter Kit"

Hey guys! I've always just done a standard two bucket method wash with a basic mitt and some basic soap. I've been considering getting a new "kit." We just recently moved and got an apartment in Florida until we find the right neighborhood to buy, but the complex has a decent car wash station. It has a small diameter hose for pressure with a "gun" and a female threaded end if I wanted to put in an attachment of sorts (I imagine there was a wand at one point) as well as a typical garden hose hookup.

I've got some Amazon gift cards and was going to narrow down a kit to make use of them. Typically I find myself going through sponsors or straight to the manufacturer, but I've got a few bucks on the cards in this case.

What are you guys' thoughts on this Chemical Guys "starter kit?" I've got a spare Home Depot bucket that I'll use for the dirty water. I've honestly never used one of the cannons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

Are there some other things that would be worth adding into this or possibly a different kit entirely? I left all of my gear in Atlanta (not that I ever really had a good inventory of detailing supplies) and figure it's time to build a new setup. I'm certainly not a detailing guru, but I would like to keep my stuff nice.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
91foxbody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Most chemical guys stuff is junk. What are you actually looking for?

-Adam's or Meg Hyper wash for soap
-Any APC
-I like Griot's rubber for tires
-Adam's wheel cleaner is OK, just pricey
-Powerlock/Collinite 845 to seal it
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91foxbody View Post
Most chemical guys stuff is junk. What are you actually looking for?

-Adam's or Meg Hyper wash for soap
-Any APC
-I like Griot's rubber for tires
-Adam's wheel cleaner is OK, just pricey
-Powerlock/Collinite 845 to seal it
What makes it junk?

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=kit

Really just looking for a better alternative to washing than using dish soap (okay, it's not that bad, but I'm pretty far behind on how much detailing has progressed). The foam cannon thing is appealing to keep lubrication going.

The reason I popped this specific kit in is because it looks to have about everything I would need to get going with. Well, that and because I have an Amazon gift card
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Honestly, if you're coming from little to nothing the CG kit would certainly be an improvement. Many feel CG's products are junk and I feel that is definitely true for some of their products but not all. You will be hard-pressed to find any all-inclusive "kit" from one company. I think a lot of manufacturers specialize in a handful of products while other products are better made from competing companies. It will take some time, research, and personal preference to figure out which products you like for each application in your cleaning regiment.

I'd highly recommend watching some YouTube vids from popular detailers like, AMMO NYC, Pan the Organizer, Obsessed Garage, and many others. They do a lot of product testing and typically give unbiased opinions.

You could also look to Adam's for a starter kit as I think their reputation is a little stronger, but again, no one brand will make the best of every product
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
Honestly, if you're coming from little to nothing the CG kit would certainly be an improvement. Many feel CG's products are junk and I feel that is definitely true for some of their products but not all. You will be hard-pressed to find any all-inclusive "kit" from one company. I think a lot of manufacturers specialize in a handful of products while other products are better made from competing companies. It will take some time, research, and personal preference to figure out which products you like for each application in your cleaning regiment.

I'd highly recommend watching some YouTube vids from popular detailers like, AMMO NYC, Pan the Organizer, Obsessed Garage, and many others. They do a lot of product testing and typically give unbiased opinions.

You could also look to Adam's for a starter kit as I think their reputation is a little stronger, but again, no one brand will make the best of every product
Thanks for the advice! I think I’ll give this kit a shot to at least get me going and develop from there. Seems silly, but I’m looking at this as something to hold me over until we get our house to settle in. I’ve watched the OG videos, and I can’t say I’d go that far, but it’s certainly inspiration for a future garage setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll give this kit a shot to at least get me going and develop from there. Seems silly, but I'm looking at this as something to hold me over until we get our house to settle in. I've watched the OG videos, and I can't say I'd go that far, but it's certainly inspiration for a future garage setup.
He's a bit, well, obsessed. But there's good stuff in there. Start with that kit, you're not gonna harm the car, but actively look for ways to upgrade each component. For reference, I live in a condo and my garage isn't conducive to washing so I usually go to a coin operated place just for their pressure washer. I'll bring my own 2 buckets with CG Gloss Works or Adams car soap. If you don't want to get crazy into a full wax and all that yet, Optimum Spray Wax is pretty helpful to wax after each wash - and it's better than nothing. If you want to go that route, also check out PS Bead Maker.

Most important! Don't skimp on your drying towel. A poor technique and/or the wrong towel will leave swirls and scratches on your paint - those are what you see reflected in the sun when you're out in broad daylight. A good microfiber like the Rag Company's Creature Edgeless.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
He's a bit, well, obsessed. But there's good stuff in there. Start with that kit, you're not gonna harm the car, but actively look for ways to upgrade each component. For reference, I live in a condo and my garage isn't conducive to washing so I usually go to a coin operated place just for their pressure washer. I'll bring my own 2 buckets with CG Gloss Works or Adams car soap. If you don't want to get crazy into a full wax and all that yet, Optimum Spray Wax is pretty helpful to wax after each wash - and it's better than nothing. If you want to go that route, also check out PS Bead Maker.

Most important! Don't skimp on your drying towel. A poor technique and/or the wrong towel will leave swirls and scratches on your paint - those are what you see reflected in the sun when you're out in broad daylight. A good microfiber like the Rag Company's Creature Edgeless.
Like this?

https://smile.amazon.com/RAG-COMPANY...gateway&sr=8-6

I've always grabbed a leaf blower to get the drying out of the way. I must be in the wrong forum!

Wipe across until it starts leaving water behind and flip it over for the next pass?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:

Like this?

https://smile.amazon.com/RAG-COMPANY...way&sr=8-6

I've always grabbed a leaf blower to get the drying out of the way. I must be in the wrong forum!

Wipe across until it starts leaving water behind and flip it over for the next pass?
If you're already using a leaf blower, you're well on your way! The best drying is definitely touchless. Those towels should be good for ya. After a wash, use your blower to get it mostly dry, then use a spray wax and those towels to finish it off and you should be in good shape until you're ready to get more involved down the line!
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #9
AceBeezy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW e92 M3

I always find myself visiting the e90post detailing thread for questions like this. Tons of great car washing wisdom and supplies posted in there. Check it out if you haven't already!

Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #10
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Awesome, thanks guys! I picked up the Chemical Guys "kit", a 10-pack of Rag Company Creatures edgeless microfibers, and a 50 ft expandable hose with a bag to take with me back and forth from my garage and the wash station. I figure this will be enough to get me going, but am starting to think I should have gotten a smaller brush to get in the spokes of the wheels. I may run up to the auto parts store to grab a "bleh" mitt to take care of the Jeep while I'm at it.
Appreciate 0