BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions
View Poll Results: Which are you taking home today with everything they have to offer
M3 (space grey, mineral white, interlagos) 32 96.97%
S5 (Black) 1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

08-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #23
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTran328i View Post
Thanks for the insight! Yeah I respect that you drove multiple ones to try them out and wasn't pleased, and I know that an M3 stock probably beats S5 easily overall, but what are your thoughts on a lightly tuned S5 to a M3? Maybe Tune pulley and intake?

Still no contest, the M3 is the more involving car. Bolt-ons are not going to drastically change the character of the S5, like I mentioned. My S4 was tuned, had downpipes + exhaust, and an intake, and I still had more fun with the M3.
      08-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #24
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

I think the OP wants the S5 in his head but wants to justify it with the M3 crowd
You're on the westcoast, why would you want a front wheel drive bias AWD?
That alone is a easy decision for me. A tune won't change the character of your car and audi reliability is crap.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #25
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
I think the OP wants the S5 in his head but wants to justify it with the M3 crowd
You're on the westcoast, why would you want a front wheel drive bias AWD?
That alone is a easy decision for me. A tune won't change the character of your car and audi reliability is crap.
The newer quattro systems are 60/40, and can go up to 80/20 (or something close to that). There's an optional torque-vectoring "sport differential", too.

Audi reliability is not crap, go look for yourself.
      08-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #26
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
The newer quattro systems are 60/40, and can go up to 80/20 (or something close to that). There's an optional torque-vectoring "sport differential", too.

Audi reliability is not crap, go look for yourself.
You didn't get the jist of my point. Why would anyone want AWD in cali.
I personally know about 4 friends with range of B8-8.5 S4 and S5's with nothing but problems. 1 stock, 3 with apr stg 2 tunes.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #27
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
You didn't get the jist of my point. Why would anyone want AWD in cali.
I personally know about 4 friends with range of B8-8.5 S4 and S5's with nothing but problems. 1 stock, 3 with apr stg 2 tunes.
I understand that it doesn't snow there, lol. AWD isn't useless in a warm climate but the value is definitely diminished versus a place like Colorado, I agree.
      08-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #28
MWMM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328iF30

Just drove both yday. No contest at all. M3 completely claps the S5... but then again the S5 is newer, interior buttons actually feel like quality, and it is tune friendly in a sense that you could mod little by little for nice gains instead of supercharger in one take. I really want the M but realistically it's getting old and I'm probably going to own it for 4ish years. Reliability and insurance cost will be the deciding factor imo. I want the M but responsible me is saying S5.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #29
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Let me offer some perspective. I like motorsports. I like to race. For a daily driver, I appreciate race car dynamics and engineering but demand comfort, practicality reliability impressive styling. The car has to be fast at a race track with little modifications. Turbochargers and superchargers are nice but a NA powerband revving over 8k rpm is a one of only a handful of cars to ever exist.

Hard for a car to do all of these at a reasonable price point. In fact, there may be no car ever made that can do all of these things

I'm now on my second e92 DCT. It shares a garage with a 991 Turbo S and a 991 GT3 with an i8 and X5 out in the driveway.

The e92 M3 is the all around best car EVER made. It is the car I prefer of all others to drive on the street and gives the 991 GT3 a run for its money on the track.

You are comparing the greatest car to ever be made IMHO with a basic car that is incredibly boring with no inspiring character (in comparison).

No one will second guess your choice because the attributes you demand may favor the wallet and/ or you may place less value in the journey (some value the destination only but a lot of us here value both). But if you can swing it, you will be rewarded every time you drive with a very unique and inspiring experience.

Cheers.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #30
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Let me offer some perspective. I like motorsports. I like to race. For a daily driver, I appreciate race car dynamics and engineering but demand comfort, practicality reliability impressive styling. The car has to be fast at a race track with little modifications. Turbochargers and superchargers are nice but a NA powerband revving over 8k rpm is a one of only a handful of cars to ever exist.

Hard for a car to do all of these at a reasonable price point. In fact, there may be no car ever made that can do all of these things

I'm now on my second e92 DCT. It shares a garage with a 991 Turbo S and a 991 GT3 with an i8 and X5 out in the driveway.

The e92 M3 is the all around best car EVER made. It is the car I prefer of all others to drive on the street and gives the 991 GT3 a run for its money on the track.

You are comparing the greatest car to ever be made IMHO with a basic car that is incredibly boring with no inspiring character (in comparison).

No one will second guess your choice because the attributes you demand may favor the wallet and/ or you may place less value in the journey (some value the destination only but a lot of us here value both). But if you can swing it, you will be rewarded every time you drive with a very unique and inspiring experience.

Cheers.
This post means a lot to me since your garage houses three of my top five dream [street] cars.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #31
yarosus
Yaro
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the insight! Yeah I respect that you drove multiple ones to try them out and wasn't pleased, and I know that an M3 stock probably beats S5 easily overall, but what are your thoughts on a lightly tuned S5 to a M3? Maybe Tune pulley and intake?
Tuned S5 will fun daily driver, but M3 will be more special weekend car.
If I would need to commute a lot then I would get s5.

I rode tuned M3 and omg. I loved. Totally different car compared to stock m3.
I got extended 6 years warranty for my m3 and not sure if I will mod it.

I drove new m3 and m4 and i even more in love with e92. Very interesting car with the character.

I had a chance to drive rs7 and this is next car for me.. waiting for bigger depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #32
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just drove both yday. No contest at all. M3 completely claps the S5... but then again the S5 is newer, interior buttons actually feel like quality, and it is tune friendly in a sense that you could mod little by little for nice gains instead of supercharger in one take. I really want the M but realistically it's getting old and I'm probably going to own it for 4ish years. Reliability and insurance cost will be the deciding factor imo. I want the M but responsible me is saying S5.

Resale value on the S5 is going to be shit. The M3 will still be sought after down the road.
      08-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #33
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

S5 with APR tune and sport diff is a good car and I honestly like that supercharged V6 for a 6 cylinder. Great throttle response and overall feels like NA. The RWD bias is clearly felt with sport diff. It really does need a tune though to get a little more power out of it and improve the top end.

The M3 however is a great car and has more character than you will find in virtually any car out there. RS5 is also very good but costs $10-15k more for good examples.
Appreciate 0