BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
razr01
Rep
Drives: E92M3

New M3 driver, checking in

Hello, i recently purchased E92 M3 and very thrilled to be part of this community

Coming from AMG and F-car, M3 is very useful as a DD and a fun car. my old DD was CT200h, and it screams in a bad way when you go over 70mph. it gets good mileage, but i just couldnt drive it anymore.

I always wanted M3 and it feels great to get one finally.

I read through the forum, got all the insights on what to do with the car in terms of preventative maintenance.

if i were to nitpick the things i dont like about the car...

1) low end torque isn't there, but i got used to it now. car goes pretty damn quick without you noticing though. definitely different from other cars ive driven.

2) as i mentioned, this is my DD now. i try to drive conservatively when im in town, and im not sure if it is the DCT characteristic, or i have the settings all wrong, but the transmission feels a bit less smooth @ lower speed.

3) i'm averaging around 15mpg. going to gas station quite often.

other than these three, car is flawless and perfect

hopefully "knocks on the wood" nothing happens until i get my RB swapped out. compare to it's mileage, car is super clean and well-maintained. Is there anyway you can check the RB to see whether or not the previous owner have swapped it out?

anyway, great to meet you all
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
330ciprem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3, 06 E46 330ci, 6spds

Appreciate 1
IanMan384.00
      11-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
WhitefoxE92
Rep
Drives: Alpine white E92 Borla exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr01 View Post
Hello, i recently purchased E92 M3 and very thrilled to be part of this community

Coming from AMG and F-car, M3 is very useful as a DD and a fun car. my old DD was CT200h, and it screams in a bad way when you go over 70mph. it gets good mileage, but i just couldnt drive it anymore.

I read through the forum, got all the insights on what to do with the car in terms of preventative maintenance.

1) low end torque isn't there, but i got used to it now. car goes pretty damn quick without you noticing though. definitely different from other cars ive driven.

2) as i mentioned, this is my DD now. i try to drive conservatively when im in town, and im not sure if it is the DCT characteristic, or i have the settings all wrong, but the transmission feels a bit less smooth @ lower speed.

hopefully "knocks on the wood" nothing happens until i get my RB swapped out. compare to it's mileage, car is super clean and well-maintained. Is there anyway you can check the RB to see whether or not the previous owner have swapped it out?

All of those "issues" you have mentioned go away in due time. And by go away I mean that you stop noticing them as issues and just as quirks of the car. The positives far outweigh the negatives with this car and if you take care of it it'll take care of you. I also recently purchased mine in June and it is my DD. The gas is the most annoying aspect of the car. However that being said, so is the time it takes to warm up in the winter. Make sure you let the car get properly warm in the winter before you set off. Wish it had a remote start option
      11-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefoxE92 View Post
All of those "issues" you have mentioned go away in due time. And by go away I mean that you stop noticing them as issues and just as quirks of the car. The positives far outweigh the negatives with this car and if you take care of it it'll take care of you. I also recently purchased mine in June and it is my DD. The gas is the most annoying aspect of the car. However that being said, so is the time it takes to warm up in the winter. Make sure you let the car get properly warm in the winter before you set off. Wish it had a remote start option
I've heard varying opinions on this, but isn't it better not to let the car sit and idle for a long time to warm up, and rather to drive off and let the car warm up faster under a light load? I think the rationale is that the car warms up faster and you end up with less time and revolutions with cold oil circulating when you just take off without waiting.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
TrueToBMW
///M
Rep

welcome to the club, what color combo did you end up buying? competition package, year, mileage, etc?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Space Grey M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
I've heard varying opinions on this, but isn't it better not to let the car sit and idle for a long time to warm up, and rather to drive off and let the car warm up faster under a light load? I think the rationale is that the car warms up faster and you end up with less time and revolutions with cold oil circulating when you just take off without waiting.
You would be correct. The owner's manual itself states:

"Do not wait for the engine to warm-up while the vehicle remains stationary. Start driving right away, but at moderate engine speeds."

You should immediately start driving, but just don't blast the engine past like 3 or 4K. I just shift at 2-2.5K until the little rev limiter on the dash has moved out of view and the redline is back at 8.4 before I really get on it.

I understand there are varying opinions on this, but generally, I consider them worthless unless they're supported by any evidence for this platform specifically. There's no reason for ///M to specifically include that admonishment in the manual if it means nothing, and I find it presumptuous how many people contravene things like this based on "it works for me" - without actually having any idea what the effects of their regimen are.

Last edited by fatalelement; 11-13-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
You would be correct. The owner's manual itself states:

"Do not wait for the engine to warm-up while the vehicle remains stationary. Start driving right away, but at moderate engine speeds."
I let it warm up while stationary for a little less than 60 seconds, just while the cold start works itself out. I have found that if you start driving away IMMEDIATELY the cold start process is making the accelerator/engine response act funny. After 60 secs its all good though
      11-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Space Grey M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
I let it warm up while stationary for a little less than 60 seconds, just while the cold start works itself out. I have found that if you start driving away IMMEDIATELY the cold start process is making the accelerator/engine response act funny. After 60 secs its all good though
My process is tap the throttle (which, you're right, always feels pretty funky) to start rolling out of my space and towards the parking garage door (long run in my underground garage) and by the time I've buckled in, mounted my phone, found my stupid garage door opener, etc., it's probably been about 60 seconds and I'm usually about to run into the door

I don't think the manual really means start it and MACH SCHNELL out of the space, but definitely don't sit there waiting for the oil temp to climb up.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:

I've had mine for about a month and a half. I really like to keep my DCT on 4 because of the downshift blips/rev matching sounds super good and obnoxious with my exhaust. Because of that, it does shift a bit hard on the way to the grocery store.

I've found myself doing something people here might think is odd, but it feels natural because I'm a manual guy.

I let off the gas ever so slightly when upshifting. It makes the car feel and sound like it's manual. 100%. I was cruising on the interstate the other day next to a guy in an F80 M3 that I actually ran into about a week after that and I mentioned something about my car being DCT and he's like "no, it's manual, isn't it?" Haha.

What I'm getting at is- because I feather off the throttle when upshifting, I don't really have to worry about the hard shifts.

When I'm getting on it hard (that's what she said) I don't do this I just bang through the gears upshifting, pedal mashed.

I've looked into my technique a bit and I've yet to find anyone saying it's harmful or even weird. I'd retrain myself if someone could prove otherwise.
      11-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
razr01
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
welcome to the club, what color combo did you end up buying? competition package, year, mileage, etc?
Hello, i got 08 E92 M3 with around 90k mileage. yes, it is high mileage, but everything checked off great, and im gonna do a lot of preventative maintenance as well!

im trying to post some photos, but it wont let me due to the resolution, i will upload them when i get home

Quote:
i forgot to mention some other awkward features of the car.

what were they thinking when they decided to put the cup holder at most awkward location? it's as bad as R171 SLK model.

second, what's up with the automatic seat belt grabber. it only works like half the time.

Quote:
I've had mine for about a month and a half. I really like to keep my DCT on 4 because of the downshift blips/rev matching sounds super good and obnoxious with my exhaust. Because of that, it does shift a bit hard on the way to the grocery store.

I've found myself doing something people here might think is odd, but it feels natural because I'm a manual guy.

I let off the gas ever so slightly when upshifting. It makes the car feel and sound like it's manual. 100%. I was cruising on the interstate the other day next to a guy in an F80 M3 that I actually ran into about a week after that and I mentioned something about my car being DCT and he's like "no, it's manual, isn't it?" Haha.

What I'm getting at is- because I feather off the throttle when upshifting, I don't really have to worry about the hard shifts.

When I'm getting on it hard (that's what she said) I don't do this I just bang through the gears upshifting, pedal mashed.

I've looked into my technique a bit and I've yet to find anyone saying it's harmful or even weird. I'd retrain myself if someone could prove otherwise.
im going to try with 4 bars tonight. I have it at 1 bar with everything (power, EDC) off.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
[QUOTE=razr01;23986991]
Quote:
im going to try with 4 bars tonight. I have it at 1 bar with everything (power, EDC) off.
Yeah I'm, 90% of the time:

Power: ON

My reasoning: it's just faster throttle response. I like the way it feels a bit better. Turn it off on the highway as the tighter throttle response can negatively impact gas mileage if your foot moves a little here and there.

DCT: 4

My reasoning: blips sound killer on downshift. It's my compromise as 5 is the hardest setting (with DSC on, if you turn DSC off you get another level of shift hardness), I guess I feel like 5 could wear the clutches down faster, I don't know. I'm weird.

EDC: OFF

My reasoning: My car is lowered (sleeve over, retaining EDC) so my ride can get harsh fast. I'll pop it on once in a while for shits and giggles, but it makes bumps in the road pretty terrible.

DSC: ON

My reasoning: This is mostly for safety. You never know when you're going to have to act fast. Sometimes i feel like there is a little more juice to the back tires with it off, so I'll turn it off from time to time. The other night I had it off and there was a quiet on ramp to the interstate (like recommended 25MPH) that I like to take about about 70 when there are no other cars around. Keep in mind, I am still learning the car and don't really know it's limits, and there are tins of variables on public roads that could result in catastrophe. I realized in my approach I had turned DSC off about 20 mins before that and quickly braked and turned DSC back on. The car would have most likely been fine, but I'm a bit risk-averse and still getting comfortable with its ability. I haven't turned DSC back off since.
      11-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #12
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hello, i got 08 E92 M3 with around 90k mileage. yes, it is high mileage, but everything checked off great, and im gonna do a lot of preventative maintenance as well!

im trying to post some photos, but it wont let me due to the resolution, i will upload them when i get home

i forgot to mention some other awkward features of the car.

what were they thinking when they decided to put the cup holder at most awkward location? it's as bad as R171 SLK model.

second, what's up with the automatic seat belt grabber. it only works like half the time.

Welcome!

My understanding is that 3 bars is kinda the standard setting, so that's what I use. 1 bar is for ice and snow and starts in 2nd gear, 2 bars is for maybe some kind of slick settings, and 3 bars still seems fairly relaxed with shifting and doesn't rev match downshifts at lower rpms

the seat belt butler is crappy for everyone. I'm considering pulling the fuse for it and just reaching over each time like I do anyways
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #13
Gbiz
Fo Shizzle
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciprem View Post
I second this. Still see no pics. I can't read so good... need pics...
Appreciate 1
NoHedge67.50
      11-24-2018, 12:33 AM   #14
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | 991.1 C2S

Quote:
Guys on the high mileage thread would give you shit for that lol. ~8k miles per yr is less than avg

Don't forget to post pics!
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00
      11-24-2018, 03:29 AM   #15
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

welcome to the club, we like to see pics. we've seen a bunch, but we want to see yours.

think about rod bearings and consider mrf engineering since you're in socal.

if you do things yourself, don't over tighten the oil plugs. use new oil plugs every time. there are two.

spark plug interval is at 37k per bmw, but most people do them earlier than that. at about 30k, plugs are pretty spent. might boost your mpg just a tad.
      11-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #16
Kamen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Welcome and congrats.

I coded out the seat belt buttler through Carly right after I got the car. This must be one of the most comical car engineering feats.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #17
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Welcome! Sounds like you've quite the vehicle pedigree!

As most have mentioned, these things really aren't "bad" things per se, more like personality quirks of the e9x M3. I have a manual e90 so I can't help you much on the seatbelt butler or the DCT, but I do get about 17-19 mpg when I baby the car. Most of the time, I'm closer to 16.5 or so. The lack of low-end tq is really part of the character of the s65. Anything above 5k rpm might land you in jail but before that, you'll be hard pressed to know you're driving one of the greatest drivers cars ever. It really makes you work for it.

Definitely post pics asap!
      11-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #18
Van
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I bought mine in October. My seatbelt thing works great in my car. But it is a 2013. I heard if u iron ur seatbelt. It will help catch it better. I haven't tried it, so do it at your own risk lol. Maybe add some starch
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #19
Van
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Congrats by the way!! No bad qualities, just a personality!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #20
rpascua
Rep

Quote:

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

I bought mine 8 months ago and love every bit of driving as I use it as my DD.

In terms of Mods I would definitely recommend the Alex Alpine tune as I just got it a couple days ago and love how there is some great added low end torque between 2-3 RPM. The DCT tune is awesome too and when your in Sport Plus mode you get your back kicked in between shifts and a lot smoother/faster shifts on the top end at redline that could notice now.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #21
Tiffany@SouthMotorsBMW
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Congrats on the new Purchase, I have just recently purchased my E93, Silverstone Metallic with Bamboo Beige.. the convertible is such a nice touch!

1. The car does not have low end torque and I agree that the car launches you when you least expect it, however that torque makes the car take turns and curves like BUTTER.

2. In regards to the not so smooth feeling at low speeds, I'm assuming its the DCT transmission since you have a clutch to have that manual feel with the ultimately dominant automatic transmission.

3. In regards to gas efficiency.. I learned today that the V8 in my M3 chugs double the gas than a B58 in my partner's full bolt-on 440i, even though the 440i pops like crazy and chugs more gas to make all of that noise! The M3 cruises at 70 @ ~3k rpm, while the 440 cruises at 70 @ ~ 1.5k rpm.. pretty much double. Palmetto bay to Ft.Lauderdale and back took 3/4ths of gas! Good thing I had a full tank.

But nevertheless, the E9X M3's are wonderful and are lovely cars to own, it really makes you know you made a great decision owning a car that's truly one of a kind!

Last edited by Tiffany@SouthMotorsBMW; 12-03-2018 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:05 AM   #22
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Raz, you are welcome. Once the pictures comes up...
Appreciate 0