BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

09-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
nate122
Rep
Drives: 14' STI

Previous owner melted the housing in e90 m3 headlight. I believe these are the highbeams

Any idea if this is fixable? Or should i just buy a new headlight period?
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
My Schnell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 6MT / Gen II Raptor

Is that the inboard light in each bezel? Did not think they are high beams ... thought they are spot lights that come on during turning and reversing. I though the outer driving beams just adjusted their angle to make them highbeams...
2009 E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT Slicktop, AA X-pipe w/straight pipes w/Eisenmann Sport, Dinan intake, AA Pulley, ZCP strut retro w/Dinan Stage III susp, BPM Stage II tune, Rear Fog LCI switch, BMW Edition Front & Side Grill/Gill, Thrust Arm Monoball, Solid Subframe Bushes, Black 19x9.5/10.5 APEX PS-7s, Vibra-Technics engine mounts, Auto Solutions shifter 20% throw, WPC treated Rod Bearings & AiB v4-Now, Not Wife approved!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
nate122
Rep
Drives: 14' STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Schnell View Post
Is that the inboard light in each bezel? Did not think they are high beams ... thought they are spot lights that come on during turning and reversing. I though the outer driving beams just adjusted their angle to make them highbeams...

Believe it or not, I just turned on the high beams and the bulb was inside the inner circle lense. I was meeting up locally with someone and noticed it was melted.
Is this even fixable?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #4
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate122 View Post
Believe it or not, I just turned on the high beams and the bulb was inside the inner circle lense. I was meeting up locally with someone and noticed it was melted.
Is this even fixable?
If that bulb is coming on when you turn your high beams on, you have wiring issues inside the headlamp.

The inner light is for 2 purposes, flash to pass, and adaptive healight function when turning at low speed. That's all they do.

You high/low beam split is created using a shudder in the xenon housing, that limits the amount of light output at low beam operation, and then opens fully when high beams are activated.
      09-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
My Schnell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 6MT / Gen II Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar_M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate122 View Post
Is this even fixable?
If that bulb is coming on when you turn your high beams on, you have wiring issues inside the headlamp.

The inner light is for 2 purposes, flash to pass, and adaptive healight function when turning at low speed. That's all they do.

You high/low beam split is created using a shudder in the xenon housing, that limits the amount of light output at low beam operation, and then opens fully when high beams are activated.
That's what I was trying to say...

Can those lights be coded to come on w/ high beams?

I know my Mk V GTi could do that...they called it Bambi lights.

That's what I think is going on, and then, bulbs changed out for brighter ones. Obviously the housing isn't meant for that...

It probably requires the headlights to be replaced unless someone can go into them and repair it...
2009 E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT Slicktop, AA X-pipe w/straight pipes w/Eisenmann Sport, Dinan intake, AA Pulley, ZCP strut retro w/Dinan Stage III susp, BPM Stage II tune, Rear Fog LCI switch, BMW Edition Front & Side Grill/Gill, Thrust Arm Monoball, Solid Subframe Bushes, Black 19x9.5/10.5 APEX PS-7s, Vibra-Technics engine mounts, Auto Solutions shifter 20% throw, WPC treated Rod Bearings & AiB v4-Now, Not Wife approved!!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Schnell View Post
That's what I was trying to say...

Can those lights be coded to come on w/ high beams?

I know my Mk V GTi could do that...they called it Bambi lights.

That's what I think is going on, and then, bulbs changed out for brighter ones. Obviously the housing isn't meant for that...

It probably requires the headlights to be replaced unless someone can go into them and repair it...
From what I understand, no those can't be coded on with the headlights. I've never seen it done anyway.
      09-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

For the e46 there is a lot you can buy to replace the silver area as in those cars they had a known issue where after about 10 years the chrome plating would start to peel and your headlights would stop dimming. I don't know if anything like this exists for our m3s but it may be worth a look. It is a pain though to deal with just saying. I had a lot of issues with headlights on my e46 and aftermarket parts that were of really bad quality.
Appreciate 1