BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
BimmerNugget's Avatar
United_States
329
Rep
1,024
Posts

Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 560 State Street

iTrader: (0)

Who here has a GTR in addition to their E9X M3?

I've been watching too many GTR videos lately and I'm starting to like them again lol....I remember when it came to the U.S. in 2009 and I was in the 8th grade, I was obsessed with GTRs. Now it's all coming back.....

Anyone on here own a GTR in addition to their M? How does it feel/compare? Post some pics if you can lol. Thanks, Happy New Year.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
skl007
Private First Class
17
Rep
163
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (1)

I do. In my opinion the GT-R is a lot more analog than the M3 simply because you can hear so much more mechanical noise. It's a lot more involving as well simply because it's more sensitive to tramlining and has much faster steering and turn-in.

It's much, much faster and the kind of grip levels it has (especially when exiting a corner) is absurd. Do I drive it more than the M3? No, but I have way more fun when I do drive it.
__________________
2010 E92 M3
2010 R35 GT-R
2012 Golf R
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
1389
Rep
4,813
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, F30 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skl007 View Post
I do. In my opinion the GT-R is a lot more analog than the M3 simply because you can hear so much more mechanical noise. It's a lot more involving as well simply because it's more sensitive to tramlining and has much faster steering and turn-in.

It's much, much faster and the kind of grip levels it has (especially when exiting a corner) is absurd. Do I drive it more than the M3? No, but I have way more fun when I do drive it.
+1

I drove a few GTRs (R32, R33, R35). The R35 GTR is a lot more mechanical and raw than the M3. It is not something I'd want to drive every day as it is pretty unforgiving on rough roads and it sucks in normal driving.

I think where most people think the R35 feels artificial is in the handling... it turns and handles unlike any other car. It will do things you don't think is possible and it feels wrong - but it is also very fast. If you like traditional sports car handling, the GTR is not the car for you.

This only refers to the R35 GTR. The older GTR are much more traditional sports cars and handles like most RWD sports cars despite having AWD.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
tdott
Colonel
904
Rep
2,044
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South FL / 6ix

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skl007 View Post
I do. In my opinion the GT-R is a lot more analog than the M3 simply because you can hear so much more mechanical noise. It's a lot more involving as well simply because it's more sensitive to tramlining and has much faster steering and turn-in.
I don't know about that, GTRs were often criticized for their video game like feel, I don't see how some noise changes that.

Fast capable cars that can make a ton of power when tuned, but described as "soul-less", jarring and a maintenance nightmare back then.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
1389
Rep
4,813
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, F30 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I don't know about that, GTRs were often criticized for their video game like feel, I don't see how some noise changes that.

Fast capable cars that can make a ton of power when tuned, but described as "soul-less", jarring and a maintenance nightmare back then.
As I mentioned above, it's a different kind of feeling. The GTR is very mechanical - you feel everything. It clicks, clacks and whirrrs like some car from the mid 1900s - it doesn't feel refined like a modern car. The car transmits everything to the driver - there is a ton of feedback though the steering wheel, suspension and seat etc. These things are very analog and raw.

What people describe as "video game" is the handling. It's not very natural how the car handles. If you think you know how a sports car drives - the GTR will break that perception. It's different. If the rear starts to slide on a traditional sports car, you'd normally counter steer and lift a bit to bring the rear back in line... on a GTR, you just keep the same steering angle, keep on throttle - the car sorts it out for you and rockets you out of the corner with much more grip than you thought possible.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
tdott
Colonel
904
Rep
2,044
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South FL / 6ix

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
As I mentioned above, it's a different kind of feeling. The GTR is very mechanical - you feel everything. It clicks, clacks and whirrrs like some car from the mid 1900s - it doesn't feel refined like a modern car. The car transmits everything to the driver - there is a ton of feedback though the steering wheel, suspension and seat etc. These things are very analog and raw.

What people describe as "video game" is the handling. It's not very natural how the car handles. If you think you know how a sports car drives - the GTR will break that perception. It's different. If the rear starts to slide on a traditional sports car, you'd normally counter steer and lift a bit to bring the rear back in line... on a GTR, you just keep the same steering angle, keep on throttle - the car sorts it out for you and rockets you out of the corner with much more grip than you thought possible.
Makes sense I can understand where you are coming from the sound perspective now, just usually when someone describes a car as mechanical or analog, first thing that comes to mind is they are referring to rowing the gears of a manual transmission and the lack of electronics overpowering the driving experience, it's hard to associate that with a paddle shift dual clutch with all the Japanese tech it was known for.

Also adding to the video game feeling, was the electrics and paddle shift, it was one of the first cars that people said basically drove itself, you point and shoot type of thing.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
BimmerNugget's Avatar
United_States
329
Rep
1,024
Posts

Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 560 State Street

iTrader: (0)

Wow, GTR is still king after 10 years....What an amazing piece of engineering.

I guess it's not a very good daily driver or long distance cruiser, but for the track it must be a monster.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
skl007
Private First Class
17
Rep
163
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
Wow, GTR is still king after 10 years....What an amazing piece of engineering.

I guess it's not a very good daily driver or long distance cruiser, but for the track it must be a monster.
I don't know about king, but I've owned mine longer than most, and I can't dream of selling it anytime soon. Definitely not the best DD, and the longest drive I've done in it is only Portland --> Vancouver BC, but it really gets the blood pumping when you're out for a weekend drive.
__________________
2010 E92 M3
2010 R35 GT-R
2012 Golf R
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
1389
Rep
4,813
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, F30 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Makes sense I can understand where you are coming from the sound perspective now, just usually when someone describes a car as mechanical or analog, first thing that comes to mind is they are referring to rowing the gears of a manual transmission and the lack of electronics overpowering the driving experience, it's hard to associate that with a paddle shift dual clutch with all the Japanese tech it was known for.

Also adding to the video game feeling, was the electrics and paddle shift, it was one of the first cars that people said basically drove itself, you point and shoot type of thing.
Well, yeah.. its very technological but that technology is all mechanical and old fashioned - it doesn't feel electronic. Even the clicking of the paddle is mechanical like you're operating a lever. The transmission would clack into gear loudly and it'll jolt you every time. The transmission is not very refined, many times you're better off shifting your own gears because the auto mode is very stupid. So in many ways it's very manual, complex and mechanical. If you've ever driven a 1st generation Lamborghini single clutch transmission car, it feels a bit like that. It's not fun to drive in a every day situation. Any generation M3 would feel super refined and more comfortable by comparison.

But the artificial feeling handling gives people the impression it's very "video game".
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #10
OG Shark
Captain
460
Rep
645
Posts

Drives: Sideways ~~~
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas

iTrader: (4)




I got back into a gtr a few months ago. Ď18, red amber interior
They are still freaking awesome. Such a complete different animal than the E92 M3. The M3 is 100% full of personality and see a lot of people say the gtr doesnít have any. I donít agree with that - itís just no nonsense lightning breathing Tokyo smashing pure badassery.

I donít daily mine but would not have any concerns doing so. 17&18s are softer than the previous years and pretty comfortable on the street. Took mine to cota on short notice a month ago. Had a ton of understeer running my street setup with 285/345 stagger. Definitely was more balanced with 285 square when I went back to my local track. My E92 M3 is being turned into a dedicated track car and the GT-R definitely wonít replace that - but it will definitely make the occasional trip back to cota.

Next trip to cota is in March - plan to bump the hp, swap to a bbk, upgrade a few suspension bits, and a few more tweaks before then. Canít wait
Appreciate 3
      01-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
skl007
Private First Class
17
Rep
163
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (1)

285/345 is crazy. I'm really enjoying 285/295.
__________________
2010 E92 M3
2010 R35 GT-R
2012 Golf R
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #12
OG Shark
Captain
460
Rep
645
Posts

Drives: Sideways ~~~
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skl007 View Post
285/345 is crazy. I'm really enjoying 285/295.
Yeah that setup being closer to square would definitely be a lot of fun. I do really like the 285/345 MP4S for my typical driving on the streets. So much understeer on the track though. Going to go back to the track with 305 square NT01s next time
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #13
BimmerMan33
Private
BimmerMan33's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
94
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 535i Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Illinois, USA

iTrader: (0)

For people who have owned an e9x M3 as well as a GTR, is the GTR any fun as a daily driver? Might consider as a replacement to e92 M3 for 4 season driving/daily driver with some open roads and 5 to 6 track days a year.
Much appreciate any feedback!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #14
OG Shark
Captain
460
Rep
645
Posts

Drives: Sideways ~~~
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
For people who have owned an e9x M3 as well as a GTR, is the GTR any fun as a daily driver? Might consider as a replacement to e92 M3 for 4 season driving/daily driver with some open roads and 5 to 6 track days a year.
Much appreciate any feedback!
Short answer - yes

Long answer - I would prefer a '17+ as a DD for a more street friendly ride. AWD will serve you well for 4 season driving. If you go for earlier than a '17 you might want to make sure you are good with the seats - specifically in the black editions. Their seats were very narrow and could get really uncomfortable if you have even a little bit of width in your upper back. My lack of weight lifting over the last three years combined with the wider seats on my '18 have fixed that issue for me

On the track - they are pretty freaking fast but honestly I enjoy my E92 M3 more - but it is a dedicated track car. For 5 to 6 track days a year I would think it would fit the bill nicely though. But I would look into the possible evap canister issue with GTR's on the track though & make sure you are good with that.

If you are looking new I would also consider the M5 comp
__________________

Racing team... because HPDE team doesn't have quite the same ring to it...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #15
dparm
World's greatest HPDE driver
dparm's Avatar
United_States
2172
Rep
7,083
Posts

Drives: C7 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Short answer - yes

Long answer - I would prefer a '17+ as a DD for a more street friendly ride. AWD will serve you well for 4 season driving. If you go for earlier than a '17 you might want to make sure you are good with the seats - specifically in the black editions. Their seats were very narrow and could get really uncomfortable if you have even a little bit of width in your upper back. My lack of weight lifting over the last three years combined with the wider seats on my '18 have fixed that issue for me

On the track - they are pretty freaking fast but honestly I enjoy my E92 M3 more - but it is a dedicated track car. For 5 to 6 track days a year I would think it would fit the bill nicely though. But I would look into the possible evap canister issue with GTR's on the track though & make sure you are good with that.

If you are looking new I would also consider the M5 comp


Every car mag has complained the GT-Rs didn't have enough brake. Was that your experience?

FYI it has the same caliper as my car, but obviously weighs more.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #16
Richbot
Brigadier General
1716
Rep
4,818
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

The GTR is the closest thing you can get to a roadgoing modern GT racecar with 4 seats imo

Big heavy big tires torque distribution and very advanced traction aids, big torque, paddle shift, decent aero but not an aero car, yada. It’s rad in its way. And they look awesome in the flesh pictures just don’t capture it properly. Still uggo in pictures, still awesome rolling down the road in person
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #17
OG Shark
Captain
460
Rep
645
Posts

Drives: Sideways ~~~
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Every car mag has complained the GT-Rs didn't have enough brake. Was that your experience?

FYI it has the same caliper as my car, but obviously weighs more.
The stock brakes definitely leave a lot to be desired. BBK would be the first thing I would do for track prep. Just so heavy, overwhelms the oem stuff pretty quickly on the track. A better DCT cooler is mandatory as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
The GTR is the closest thing you can get to a roadgoing modern GT racecar with 4 seats imo

Big heavy big tires torque distribution and very advanced traction aids, big torque, paddle shift, decent aero but not an aero car, yada. Itís rad in its way. And they look awesome in the flesh pictures just donít capture it properly. Still uggo in pictures, still awesome rolling down the road in person
Rad in its way - very true. Just a really unique car and on the street is pure awesome. I'm obviously biased but I think they are one of the best looking cars out there.
__________________

Racing team... because HPDE team doesn't have quite the same ring to it...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #18
MJBO
Lieutenant
MJBO's Avatar
Australia
295
Rep
433
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E90 DCT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Would love to add an R35 GT-R to my garage at some point.

Spent a few days photographing the new 50th anniversary edition, such a terrific machine.

The changes over the years are pretty noticeable. The latest ones are impressively comfortable in it's softest settings, but still incredibly fast and capable when you flick those switches to R. The NISMO sounds like a race car with all the noises, and is far firmer.
Attached Images
        
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #19
kyrix1st
Captain
kyrix1st's Avatar
Japan
546
Rep
919
Posts

Drives: E36 M3 Euro, E36/7, E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kyoto

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
One reason why I don’t like GTR is that you don’t need a lot of driver skill to drive GTR fast. M3 on the other hand requires it. (Yet it is one of the easiest FR cars to drive at the limit)
__________________
Pass me if you can.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
evanescent03's Avatar
635
Rep
1,638
Posts

Drives: '16 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

Love the GTR but the problem is the price has gone up so much it puts it in the territory of things like 911 Turbo, GT3, R8 etc which seem to offer a little more in way of refinement with similar performance. That said, seems like the GTR May be worth it ....
__________________
Gone but not forgotten: '09 STi // '08 335i // '02 M3 // '11 335i // '15 M3 // '16 M3 // '16 Camaro SS // '16 Audi S3 // '18 Boxster 718S // '17 Camaro SS 1LE // '16 M6 GC CP

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST