BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

02-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #1
AMX2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3 competition

CEL following exhaust upgrade

Hi guys.. just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue subsequent to an exhaust mod.... Ever since I upgraded the Xpipe (w/ deleted secondary cats) on my e90 m3 I kept getting CEL. I read the codes with the Carly code reader and the codes I got relate to Catalytic Converter Bank 1 and 2.

Is there a way to code this annoying CEL out so it doesnt keep popping up.. or is getting the car ECU tuned by a tuner is the only solution? Any ideas?
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Probably screwed up the 02 sensors. Removing secondaries won't cause a CEL.
      02-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Azurefire91
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Second the above, Check the O2 sensors on your primaries. Make sure when removing the xpipe the wiring wasn't damaged and clean the sensors if you possibly can to alleviate that as an issue. I recently deleted my secondaries as well on a seperate OEM xpipe I purchased and I have not had any CEL's after doing this mod.

Last edited by Azurefire91; 02-04-2020 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:38 AM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

maybe post which xpipe you got? it probably doesnt have primary cats either.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #5
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

What are the codes exactly?

Is your primary cat still in place?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #6
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMX2 View Post
Hi guys.. just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue subsequent to an exhaust mod.... Ever since I upgraded the Xpipe (w/ deleted secondary cats) on my e90 m3 I kept getting CEL. I read the codes with the Carly code reader and the codes I got relate to Catalytic Converter Bank 1 and 2.

Is there a way to code this annoying CEL out so it doesnt keep popping up.. or is getting the car ECU tuned by a tuner is the only solution? Any ideas?
Assuming 1) the primary cats are in place
Assuming 2) you didn't damage post-cat O2 sensors or wiring

Then the most likely possibility is exhaust leak from damaged/reused/improperly installed gaskets between cats and your new X-pipe. If you've got cat insufficiency on both banks then both gaskets.

FWIW, when you are reporting a problem that involves an error code, always report the actual code, not just Carly's often incorrect interpretation. In any case there are a number codes relating the cats with quite different meanings and resolutions.

Finally, getting a tuner involved is the simplest solution to a cat related CEL. However, it is not really all that difficult to do it yourself with the proper tools, the most inexpensive being a Chinese clone of KessV2, about $75 or so on ebay, amazon or Alibaba. Basically, you read the DME via the OBDII port, obtain a binary file, make a couple of simple modifications with a hex editor and write it back. If you want to go that route, I'm happy to explain in more detail what you need to do. Obviously, it is simpler and safer to use a tuner, plus you get a tune! Just bust out another $600-$1000.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Most tuners won’t do this. If you want to make simulators that plug into the 02, or a DIY 02 sim tune, you would have a market.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Most tuners won’t do this. If you want to make simulators that plug into the 02, or a DIY 02 sim tune, you would have a market.
I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing but most tuners will disable the CEL that would normally occur when cats are removed, if you wish them to do so.

That does not mean that emission checking is disabled or that the car can pass inspection requiring either a cat ready flag or a tail pipe sniffer test. But most states allow one not-ready flag and don't specify which so you'll pass inspection with the CEL disabled. Doing this does require tools more sophisticated than WinKFP but it's not much of a problem.

By the way, I can make you a simulator that spoofs the signal from the post-cat O2 sensor in the S65 if you'd like. Or provide you a schematic diagram. It requires about $10 worth of simple electronic components. In the N54 world, they used to be popular but no one bothers any more (again, in most states) because 100% of the tuners will disable the cat CEL for you.

Last edited by dpaul; 02-23-2020 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 02:52 AM   #9
NOUR1SHAWA
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 330

can you provide me with simulator diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing but most tuners will disable the CEL that would normally occur when cats are removed, if you wish them to do so.

That does not mean that emission checking is disabled or that the car can pass inspection requiring either a cat ready flag or a tail pipe sniffer test. But most states allow one not-ready flag and don't specify which so you'll pass inspection with the CEL disabled. Doing this does require tools more sophisticated than WinKFP but it's not much of a problem.

By the way, I can make you a simulator that spoofs the signal from the post-cat O2 sensor in the S65 if you'd like. Or provide you a schematic diagram. It requires about $10 worth of simple electronic components. In the N54 world, they used to be popular but no one bothers any more (again, in most states) because 100% of the tuners will disable the cat CEL for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 07:06 AM   #10
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOUR1SHAWA View Post
can you provide me with simulator diagram
I've omitted C1, works fine. Start with pot set ~1K, make small changes to dial in.

But really this is unnecessary in any state (most) that allows one non-continuous ODBII monitor to be "not-ready". Very easy to disable O2 checking in software.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0