BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

06-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
M3NickM3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2011

Idrive Satnav issue

Hi

I recently had to replace my idrive, screen etc. I got all the parts, all the original loom was still in tact on the vehicle apart from one of the wires to the screen, and the blue FAKRA for the satnav.

I managed to solder the screen connector back onto the screen cable, this is working fine.

The blue FAKRA one I am not sure, the housing was pretty damaged from when I salvaged it, and not sure a good job has been done connecting the plug to the cable.

Everything works fine apart from the satnav being greyed out in the menu, and saying "starting navigation system...." and "function currently not available"

I am assuming the connection on the cable is not good, it was working fine before I replaced the cic, so it cant be the aerial.

I have not yet coded the idrive to the car, but I plugged it in and it worked, had my phone connect back automatically etc.

Would coding the idrive fix the satnav issue possibly? If not then it will either need a new connector, or run a whole new cable through.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NickM3 View Post
Hi

I recently had to replace my idrive, screen etc. I got all the parts, all the original loom was still in tact on the vehicle apart from one of the wires to the screen, and the blue FAKRA for the satnav.

I managed to solder the screen connector back onto the screen cable, this is working fine.

The blue FAKRA one I am not sure, the housing was pretty damaged from when I salvaged it, and not sure a good job has been done connecting the plug to the cable.

Everything works fine apart from the satnav being greyed out in the menu, and saying "starting navigation system...." and "function currently not available"

I am assuming the connection on the cable is not good, it was working fine before I replaced the cic, so it cant be the aerial.

I have not yet coded the idrive to the car, but I plugged it in and it worked, had my phone connect back automatically etc.

Would coding the idrive fix the satnav issue possibly? If not then it will either need a new connector, or run a whole new cable through.
You need to update the cic firmware and flash new fsc codes matching your vin.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
M3NickM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
You need to update the cic firmware and flash new fsc codes matching your vin.
Ok great, can this be done in carly? I know you can code idrive in it, does it do all the above?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NickM3 View Post
Ok great, can this be done in carly? I know you can code idrive in it, does it do all the above?
You need an ICOM to update the firmware unless you bought a 2012+ build date unit. Then you can do everything else over standard K can.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
M3NickM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
You need an ICOM to update the firmware unless you bought a 2012+ build date unit. Then you can do everything else over standard K can.
Could you give a little more info?

I installed everything today, the guys I know have the ICOM.

What do they actually need to do, as we couldn't get the satnav activated
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
yoslow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SSII E92 M3

Had an issue with my satnav - forgot to plug in the blue cable when doing a CIC retrofit.

Try troubleshooting this by going into the secret CIC Menu, and seeing whether you're getting a "check antenna" error code - likely hardware related if you have this message

For solutions, gps antenna cables are pretty cheap on amazon, get one with a farka connector and you should be good to go!
Appreciate 0