BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

05-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3

Angry Stabilus vs. Genuine BMW Hood Shocks from RM European

How are you guys getting these to work? The Stabilus are 130N above the OE spec for the M3 hood. These aftermarket cheap ones take considerably more force to close the hood.

I've been arguing back and forth with their customer service and I have to say its among the worse I've ever experienced. Every email takes 24h for a reply and the person contacting me back is always new/different name and doesn't retain any conversation history...

Anyways, my issue is Stabilus claims their part is OE spec, but it's not. I went on another website (since RM doesn't carry the OE one) to compare. See attached picture.
Attached Images

05-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroklai View Post
How are you guys getting these to work? The Stabilus are 130N above the OE spec for the M3 hood. These aftermarket cheap ones take considerably more force to close the hood.

I've been arguing back and forth with their customer service and I have to say its among the worse I've ever experienced. Every email takes 24h for a reply and the person contacting me back is always new/different name and doesn't retain any conversation history...

Anyways, my issue is Stabilus claims their part is OE spec, but it's not. I went on another website (since RM doesn't carry the OE one) to compare. See attached picture.
Yes, I found the same issue on my recently purchased E90 M3. Non-BMW dealer had replaced the hood shocks and was a bit "shocked" to find that these were the 330N stabilus models. Seems like Stabilus designed for the worst case scenario, heavier Steel Hood on the regular E9X series, hence Stabilus's claim that this is an OEM replacement option.

I yanked these out asap and have replaced them with the OEM 200N shocks.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yep alot of confusion/wrong info being posted.

The Stabillus parts are incorrect. I ordered Stabillus from 2 sources from guys listing here , both were the wrong (330n) parts.

Returned both - & bought new Genuine OEM (200n)

Theres significant difference in force emitted on the hood.

WRONG PART:

RIGHT PART:

Appreciate 0