BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

mini review of the smartycam hd gp bullet cam

Thought I'd post up a quick mini review of the smartycam hd gp camera I got from Richard @ M-World (Thanks Richard!).

The bullet cam and control unit themselves are solid metal and extremely durable and well built. Easy to install in my car. The harness *finally* comes with an integrated mic. I split the mic part of the cable and extended the harness so I can run the mic all the way back to my exhaust. Its a bit of a hack job but it worked. Video quality is pretty great, sound is awesome and telemetry/setup is easy. Love this cam and I finally have an integrated camera/telemetry solution that I really like and basically *just works* everytime without fiddling with any settings.

here's a session I did at the Ridge this Friday. not my fastest laps that day but you get the idea..

In the video you can see the control unit mounted on the right side of my head-unit. Also note for those wondering about my brake pressure - that because sadly the Z06 doesn't send brake pressure data, only throttle pos. The Smartycam HDGP is connected to my Evo4 data logger and MXL dash!

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Very cool. I want this setup, but the video quality is actually pretty bad compared to a modern GoPro. But the fact that you can get all that telemetry in the video with zero work is very compelling.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Very cool. I want this setup, but the video quality is actually pretty bad compared to a modern GoPro. But the fact that you can get all that telemetry in the video with zero work is very compelling.
Yeah compared to a GoPro it doesn't really compare however it's great as a learning tool and super convenient - no futzing around with Race Render etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Suggest you check into the possibilities with a Harry's Lap Timer setup, which will now take video from GoPro and overlay it with GPS, accelerometer, and OBDII data. Right in the phone, no laptop required. It will even do picture-in-picture if you want multiple videos overlayed.
Appreciate 0