BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
flexthebeam
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435i M pkg

Hello guys,
My 2012 E92 M3 has 35K miles and is doing this noise, is it normal?
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

I have the same year E93 with similar mileage and it doesn't make that noise. It almost sounds like a lifter going bad. I'd definitely wouldn't drive it and have it towed to a shop to check out. Hopefully, it's not your rod bearings but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
flexthebeam
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
I have the same year E93 with similar mileage and it doesn't make that noise. It almost sounds like a lifter going bad. I'd definitely wouldn't drive it and have it towed to a shop to check out. Hopefully, it's not your rod bearings but who knows.
Does rod bearing issues turn the engine light on the dash?
Also, what's the issue with lifter going bad? I've heard other people having it but the sound is slightly different.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexthebeam View Post
Quote:
Also, what's the issue with lifter going bad? I've heard other people having it but the sound is slightly different.
I can't speak from experience about a CEL and rod bearings being associated. I can only assume that it is possible that it could cause a CEL and also not depending on how critical the failure is. It's hard to pin point the noise from the video, which leads to speculation about its origin. A lifter is usually associated with the cam shaft and helps control the opening and closing of a particular valve. Does the noise increase in frequency as the motor revs up? That would kind of indicate it's a mechanical issue that's tied to engine rotation speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
flexthebeam
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can't speak from experience about a CEL and rod bearings being associated. I can only assume that it is possible that it could cause a CEL and also not depending on how critical the failure is. It's hard to pin point the noise from the video, which leads to speculation about its origin. A lifter is usually associated with the cam shaft and helps control the opening and closing of a particular valve. Does the noise increase in frequency as the motor revs up? That would kind of indicate it's a mechanical issue that's tied to engine rotation speed.
Ok, thanks for the information! The noise doesn't increase when I rev the engine, so I think it's not the rod bearings, but I don't know much about them so it might be.
I'll wait to see if anyone else is having the same noise as mine, hoping it's nothing too serious.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the information! The noise doesn't increase when I rev the engine, so I think it's not the rod bearings, but I don't know much about them so it might be.
I'll wait to see if anyone else is having the same noise as mine, hoping it's nothing too serious.
They do make a mechanics stethoscope that allows you to hear the internal workings of a motor and components. That would help you locate it's origin and go from there, and they usually pretty cheap to buy.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
jazzy1999
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

Is that from a cold start? And does the noise get quieter as the engine warms ups?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #8
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Mine makes the same noise. I just assume its the fuel injectors clicking.
      02-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Hello guys,
Normal ! It's the typical S65/85 sewing machine noise . You're fine !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT

Quote:
If you plan on continuing driving it, then why don't you drive it over to a shop to get it checked out?
      02-23-2019, 01:39 AM   #11
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
No check engine light with RB's. By the time the lights illuminated its over and you can ask for your quarter back. I also hear nothing wrong with your motor. Maybe the audio isn't picking up what you're concerned about? This is nothing like the typical BMW 3.0 straight six, the S65 lets you know it's doings things lol.
      02-23-2019, 05:13 AM   #12
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:
Hello guys,
Normal ! It's the typical S65/85 sewing machine noise . You're fine !
Yeah it's like the metallic sound, more prominent at warm up - standard bmw, lifters or something
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #13
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzgJ74 View Post
Yeah it's like the metallic sound, more prominent at warm up - standard bmw, lifters or something
The valve lifters are hydraulic. It's not uncommon for them to bleed off oil pressure when the engine sits over night. This creates a few thousandths of an inch gap between the cam lobe and the bucket, creating the tick. The noise goes away with warm up because you're bleeding the air out of the bucket and replacing it with oil. This closes the gap and eliminates the noise.

It's typical of almost every overhead cam engine to some degree. The S65 is on the noisier side. I don't hear anything to be alarmed about.

here is a gratuitous shot of our lovely valve-train courtesy of VAC...
Attached Images

02-28-2019, 02:48 AM   #14
S14turbo
Rep
Drives: 320is Stock 320is turbo E90 M3

http://m3-experience.de/kettenspanner-s65b40/

I don't think, but can be the timingchain tensioners.
Video in link sounds different.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #15
1999TWells
Rep
Drives: BMW 330Ci

perfectly normal, mine makes exactly the same sound
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #16
baseking
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 e92 AW/FR DCT

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
It doesn't sound normal IMHO, but I'm not living that far North as you - maybe a video of the startup and the engine sound through the closed hood can give us more insight if it's normal or not. I do agree with others that it's a loud beast during the initial warm up phase and makes extra sounds that disappear after warm up.
Appreciate 0