BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

05-06-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

AutoTecknic interior trim reviews/opinions

Ok, so I have had my car for a little over a month and am about to start some cosmetic mods. First on my list is to get a set of the CF interior trim before everyone stops making it. I had reached out to Karbonius but they say they are unlikely to make any more due to a shortage of cores. Beyond them I don't see anyone else making these except for AutoTecknic, and while the reviews I have read have been old their stuff seems to be a little hit or miss fitment wise. Since this may be my only option I would like to hear from the community prior to dropping that kind of coin. So please let me know what you think! Did it fit properly, quality of the carbon, surface finish quality, that kind of thing.

I am also looking at mirror covers and splitters, but looks like lots of people making those right now, so that will be a concern for another day.

Thanks all!!
Todd

Last edited by tbuck; 05-07-2021 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
tbuck
Captain
Rep

So I am guessing a: I have posted this in the wrong section, or b: No one has ever purchased this kit, or perhaps c: No one cares.

Guess I will have to buy it and see how it goes. Hope they have a good return policy....
      05-11-2021, 11:27 PM   #3
B8bydesign
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
A more recent review: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1779552
Sold: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Performance | ACM | BPM | iND | Thule | LUX | Macht Schnell | Broadway Static | Rogue Engineering | BBS | Challenge | Metak
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
tbuck
Captain
Rep

Thanks, yes I had read that one as well and the fitment issues mentioned there are troubling considering the cost. I was hoping to gather a bit more data to see if this was a consistent problem with all of AutoTecknic's trim bits or if that case was just an outlier. Perhaps I should just bide my time till a M Performance set comes up for sale, though who know when or if that will happen.
Thanks again!
      05-12-2021, 08:03 PM   #5
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

People just get them wrapped now- newer cf vinyl looks very realistic
Appreciate 1
tbuck1185.50
      05-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
tbuck
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post
People just get them wrapped now- newer cf vinyl looks very realistic
Well, I get that, but for this car I wanted to go with the real thing. That is likely going to be the only interior cosmetic mod I do. Maybe red Start/M buttons but that is about it. Thanks
      05-14-2021, 12:04 AM   #7
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3

Ironically, the most beautiful and best fitting CF Trim I ever purchased I got through ebay from China. This was on my old E46.

I do have full carbon trim on my e92 now and while it's not as good, the price was right. Its supposedly made right here in the USA, but who knows but it took almost 3 months to get it. The lay the carbon over OEM pieces tho.

Send me PM. I think they are still making them. The company changed names a few times but I have them on Instagram. I'll connect you if you want.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 09:38 PM   #8
cremem3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP • AW/FR

I had a set that came with my car. Fitment is ok, with exception to the front dash (longer piece).. the original and replacement pieces were both noticeably warped and the rear trim had a tendency to rattle.

If you're looking for the carbon look and feel, it gets the job done. Personally wasn't a fan of the fitment and finish.. ended up swapping back to carbon leather OEM. Pins were much more robust and all rattles disappeared after the swap. The only ones worth waiting for are M Performance (if you can find one), or Karbonius in my opinion. Buy right, buy once.
      09-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
therealtk
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 ZCP

Try DBcarbon. It’s premium and pricey but I’ve seen their pieces in a 992 turbo and it’s incredible quality, fit, and finish. I’m planning on outfitting my e92 with some pieces when I get to the interior side of things.

https://shop.db-carbon-interieur.de/...1539.sf/en_US/
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 06:26 PM   #10
tbuck
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremem3 View Post
I had a set that came with my car. Fitment is ok, with exception to the front dash (longer piece).. the original and replacement pieces were both noticeably warped and the rear trim had a tendency to rattle.

If you're looking for the carbon look and feel, it gets the job done. Personally wasn't a fan of the fitment and finish.. ended up swapping back to carbon leather OEM. Pins were much more robust and all rattles disappeared after the swap. The only ones worth waiting for are M Performance (if you can find one), or Karbonius in my opinion. Buy right, buy once.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I am of the same mind that OEM is the way to go, just unsure if I will ever be so lucky, lol. I have a set of the AutoTecknic mirror covers and the quality is Meh at best, so I will likely just live with the carbon leather for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealtk View Post
Try DBcarbon. It’s premium and pricey but I’ve seen their pieces in a 992 turbo and it’s incredible quality, fit, and finish. I’m planning on outfitting my e92 with some pieces when I get to the interior side of things.

https://shop.db-carbon-interieur.de/...1539.sf/en_US/
Awesome! Thanks for the tip! Yeah, they are pricey!!
      10-26-2021, 08:18 PM   #11
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

I have 2 oem GTS carbon center consoles for sale. 1 in brand new condition, the other with a crack that has been repaired. If you're interested in the brand new condition one send me a message..
      10-27-2021, 09:06 PM   #12
AceBeezy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW e92 M3

I just had autotecknic trim installed (center console and dash). No issues with fitment. No noise/creaks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #13
chaoqi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 BMW M3

I have AutoTecknic trim installed as well. For the most part fitment was fine, but I had an issue with the tray cover - it didn't fit at all. I contacted AutoTecknic about it and they wouldn't send out a replacement, even though I provided them the order # directly from their website. They said they didn't have the order in their history (???). Luckily, I was going to install something else there anyway and went with a wireless phone charger.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #14
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

There's a pre-sale going rn on a certain Euro site that C o n n e x people for the CF trim, guess that it really is worth the price
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2022, 12:46 AM   #15
EnineDtwo
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuck View Post
Ok, so I have had my car for a little over a month and am about to start some cosmetic mods. First on my list is to get a set of the CF interior trim before everyone stops making it. I had reached out to Karbonius but they say they are unlikely to make any more due to a shortage of cores. Beyond them I don't see anyone else making these except for AutoTecknic, and while the reviews I have read have been old their stuff seems to be a little hit or miss fitment wise. Since this may be my only option I would like to hear from the community prior to dropping that kind of coin. So please let me know what you think! Did it fit properly, quality of the carbon, surface finish quality, that kind of thing.

I am also looking at mirror covers and splitters, but looks like lots of people making those right now, so that will be a concern for another day.

Thanks all!!
Todd

Just installed Autotecknic's full carbon interior trim and I had zero issues. Had to wait a few months as they make kits in batches but it was worth the wait. Looks 10/10 and install was easy. Fitment was 10/10 for me including all of the vents. Zero rattles or creaks. As solid as I wanted it to be. Super impressed. If you order it through vividracing.com you can get them to price match (have to call or email them to get them to agree). I found the entire set for sale for cheaper through emnotek.com and showed them (idk who emnotek is but am familiar with vivid racing). Got it down from $1,600 to $1,200 if I remember correctly but I think emnotek raised their price to $1,440.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 03:28 PM   #16
trojane92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroklai View Post
Ironically, the most beautiful and best fitting CF Trim I ever purchased I got through ebay from China. This was on my old E46.

I do have full carbon trim on my e92 now and while it's not as good, the price was right. Its supposedly made right here in the USA, but who knows but it took almost 3 months to get it. The lay the carbon over OEM pieces tho.

Send me PM. I think they are still making them. The company changed names a few times but I have them on Instagram. I'll connect you if you want.
I wonder if you're talking about this company:
https://www.dinmann.com/collections/...-refund-option
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 03:29 PM   #17
trojane92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnineDtwo View Post
Just installed Autotecknic's full carbon interior trim and I had zero issues. Had to wait a few months as they make kits in batches but it was worth the wait. Looks 10/10 and install was easy. Fitment was 10/10 for me including all of the vents. Zero rattles or creaks. As solid as I wanted it to be. Super impressed. If you order it through vividracing.com you can get them to price match (have to call or email them to get them to agree). I found the entire set for sale for cheaper through emnotek.com and showed them (idk who emnotek is but am familiar with vivid racing). Got it down from $1,600 to $1,200 if I remember correctly but I think emnotek raised their price to $1,440.
Great deal!
Appreciate 0