BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-22-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

M3 single piston caliper brakes, 135i multi piston calipers

This is BMW's press release for the 135i:

M-inspired performance for the 135i Coupe

The 135i Coupe offers more performance and a striking look thanks to M-inspired components. Features include an Aero kit for additional downforce at speed, better brake cooling and enhanced aesthetics while the Sports Suspension offers higher traction and reduced body roll with 18-inch wheels and performance tires. The Sports Suspension also includes with a high-performance brake system incorporating six-piston fixed calipers on the front and two-piston fixed calipers at the rear.

Isn't this ironic? Maybe the 135i will inspire the the M division. I know the M3 will have excellent stopping distances. However, IMO stopping distances are vastly overated and don't mean much on the track when brake fade sets in with the 3600 lb M3 misile after a few laps, due to a lack of multi piston calipers to better distribute the heat. The true test of brakes is if they remain fade free even when punished lap after lap ala Porsche and maybe even the 135i.

Last edited by ruff; 07-22-2007 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

They have been testing the M3 on the ring for quite awhile. I really don't think they will overlook brake fade.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:00 AM   #3
Venky
Rep
Drives: E46

This topic has been beaten to death on Bimmerfest. I will definitely wait for reviews and will pull the tirgger only after I test drive myself. If not an E46 M3 ZCP seems much better option to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Not exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
M-inspired performance for the 135i Coupe

The 135i Coupe offers more performance and a striking look thanks to M-inspired components. Features include an Aero kit for additional downforce at speed, better brake cooling and enhanced aesthetics while the Sports Suspension offers higher traction and reduced body roll with 18-inch wheels and performance tires. The Sports Suspension also includes with a high-performance brake system incorporating six-piston fixed calipers on the front and two-piston fixed calipers at the rear.

Isn't this ironic? Maybe 135 will inspire the the M division. I know the M3 will have excellent stopping distances. However, IMO stopping distances are vastly overated and don't mean much on the track when brake fade sets in with the 3600 lb misile M3 after a few laps, due to a lack of multi piston calipers to better distribute the heat. The true test of brakes is if they remain fade free even when punished lap after lap ala Porsche and maybe even the 135i.
Multi-piston brakes are a bit overhyped. I totally agree that BMW has had some models with sub-par brakes in the past (although my E36 with euro rotors, stock pads and stainless lines will take massive abuse with no problems). The real issue is cooling and secondarily brake rotor mass and diameter, last brake caliper mass. You need the diameter for torque, the masses for themal "mass" and the cooling is the real key. Multi-piston units are more important for aircraft setups where the calipers are 360 degrees all around the entire rotor. I have heard good and bad thus far about the M3 brakes, I think the jury is still out. However, the front end does look like it can route some serious air flow to the front brakes.

I also don't think stopping distance is overrated. It depends to some extent on the track: a 100km/h - 0 stopping distance is oubviously more important in something like auto-X as opposed to real track work. Braking distance says some important things about your chassis, suspension, tires and brakes! Stopping distance obviously means squat though if you have a fade problem.

All that being said I can't say I would not like giant multi-piston calipers on the M3, but if the brakes perform that is clearly much more important than their looks.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:09 AM   #5
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Swamp,
Why do you think the 135i is going with multi piston?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Uhhhh

Quote:
Swamp,
Because it is really lightweight and slower than the M3
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #7
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Because it is really lightweight and slower than the M3
Being that you are one of the higher ups in the M division, I guess I should expect the company response.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:25 AM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Come on

Quote:
Being that you are one of the higher ups in the M division, I guess I should expect the company response.
Come on, stop it with that

Really I don't know why, may be a bit for performance and may be a bit to "keep up with the Jones' ".
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
Swamp,
Seen this, and they were Brembo calipers. I was surprised and wondered if this implied BMW would change the M3 to a fixed (rather than sliding) caliper, but they didn't.

Here is a picture of the M3's from our test in Marbella

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Great picture, Steved.
      07-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
LandShark
Got ///M??
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3, 08' 335xi, 06' LR3

the braking performance is NOT depends on how many piston a caliper has! also, the stock BMW brakes, even tho isn't the best, but they are not bad at all!! just give it a good set of race pads, and you will be fine!! don't believe me? see a pic that a track side photographer took a couple years ago for me. pay attention to the front disc!! it's 100% non photoshop'ed btw!!

I was just running euro rotor w/ a set of Hawks HT-10, and all day long I have no problem w/ the brakes at the track!

well, I must confessed at the end, I did eventually swap to a set of brembos tho. but main reason is b/c I got it at a very good price!

BMWCCA New Jersey Chapter Instructor || Member since 1996
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I love people who think the only factor in brake performance is the number of pistons in the caliper
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I love people who think the only factor in brake performance is the number of pistons in the caliper
Oh ya, I forget, you are pleased the M division went with the single pots. Now you can enjoy the essence and aroma of your scorched premium track pads, sitting behind the wall of the track, while underpowered Cayman's and the like fly by lap after lap on standard brakes. It's simple physics, multi pots distribute heat better and more evenly than single pots. But you don't believe this because you know BMW has better brakes than Porsche as evidenced by their superior braking performance at the track, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #14
///Murdock
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M5, 04 M3

those brakes look beasty as FVCK! screw all the haters... u guys r noobs
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Nope

Quote:
Oh ya, I forget, you are pleased the M division went with the single pots. Now you can enjoy the essence and aroma of your scorched premium track pads, sitting behind the wall of the track, while underpowered Cayman's and the like fly by lap after lap on standard brakes. It's simple physics, multi pots distribute heat better and more evenly than single pots. But you don't believe this because you know BMW has better brakes than Porsche as evidenced by their superior braking performance at the track, right?
You do have a point multi-piston units can have more surface area mating the heat generation zones with the brake fluid. Hoewever this is mitigated if the single piston deisgn uses large pistons and I have seen some very small multi-piston design brakes. So until one measures the piston area and compares this is an advantage "on paper".

Also your post is very presumptive that the new car WILL have MASSIVE brake problems. ASS U ME...

I never stated nor argued that BMWs have better brakes than P-cars, nor did I say they would outperform at a track, period. P ceramic systems are quite phenomenal on all fonts, performance hot and cold, fade, wear and even cosmetic isues such as looks and brake dust. I only pointed out that thus far some stopping distances are superior for the M3 and for a much heavier car this is significant.

BTW which part of this did you miss
Quote:
I can't say I would not like giant multi-piston calipers on the M3
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #16
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
You do have a point multi-piston units can have more surface area mating the heat generation zones with the brake fluid. Hoewever this is mitigated if the single piston deisgn uses large pistons and I have seen some very small multi-piston design brakes. So until one measures the piston area and compares this is an advantage "on paper".

Also your post is very presumptive that the new car WILL have MASSIVE brake problems. ASS U ME...

I never stated nor argued that BMWs have better brakes than P-cars, nor did I say they would outperform at a track, period. P ceramic systems are quite phenomenal on all fonts, performance hot and cold, fade, wear and even cosmetic isues such as looks and brake dust. I only pointed out that thus far some stopping distances are superior for the M3 and for a much heavier car this is significant.

BTW which part of this did you miss

Cheers.
Swamp, I was only responding to Ward's delightful comments with some over zealous statements to try and make a point with him.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Duh

Quote:
Swamp, I was only responding to Ward's delightful comments with some over zealous statements to try and make a point with him.
Ugh, my bad. I thought your reply was quoting me for some reason. Blurry eyes from some good tequila last night maybe... na, just careless misreading. Sorry about that.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #18
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Ugh, my bad. I thought your reply was quoting me for some reason. Blurry eyes from some good tequila last night maybe... na, just careless misreading. Sorry about that.
All good, just keep up the good work on developing that new DCT tranny.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #19
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
All good, just keep up the good work on developing that new DCT tranny.
Did I miss anything here?
Swamp never told us that he's got a new job!?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Cracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Did I miss anything here?
Swamp never told us that he's got a new job!?

Best regards, south
Come on you guys are cracking me up! I have done a bit of engineering in my time, even disc brake design and testing (for mountain bikes...but it was the first cable actuated hydraulic one) but you are going to have to stop with these silly statements.

I can't quite tell if they complimentary or insulting or a bit of both...

Last edited by swamp2; 07-22-2007 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #21
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Come on you guys are cracking me up! I have done a bit of engineering in my time, even disc brake design and testing (for mountain bikes...but it was the first cable actuated hydraulic one) but you are going to have to stop with these silly statements.

I can't quite tell if it they complimentary or insulting or a bit of both...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #22
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:

I can't quite tell if it they complimentary or insulting or a bit of both...
Take it as a compliment: you take the time to understand what BMW is trying to do with the E92 M3, and do a pretty good job in getting that across. Nothing wrong with that!
Appreciate 0