BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #23
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Will the ESS Akra tune for a full Akra system pass Texas OBDII inspection?
      01-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #24
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

State:CT
ESS VT2-600,Xpipe(sec cat delete) and axle back exhaust.
PASS
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #25
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
State:CT
ESS VT2-600,Xpipe(sec cat delete) and axle back exhaust.
PASS
Nice to know the S/C's will still pass inspection
      02-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #26
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Texas Inspection

I have similar mods as the OP and passed in Texas. I'm not happy with the Fabspeed x-pipes with HFCs since these were sold as "no CEL"; however, I used to receive emissions warning lights on a regular basis which have been resolved by my OE Tune.

State: Texas

Performance Mods: Fabspeed x-pipe w/HFCs, RDSport mufflers, AA Pulley, Macht Schnell filter, OE Tune

Inspection Results: Pass

Note: I failed the O2 readiness test and the garage had to drive my car around for 45 mins before I finally passed.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #27
335xidave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Dinan3/335xi

tinpot,,they just wanted to drive your ride!!!!,,,ok,,,I have a 335xi so this might not apply. I have done Dinan Stage 2 susp, and Flash, Dinan exhaust, and the new Dinan cold intake,,,,PASS, no problems here in Colorado.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #28
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Any software that turns off the post-cat o2 sensors will cause an automatic readiness fail and will not pass smog. However, cars that require this would not pass regardless due to the cat checking of the stock emissions programming.

Any car that has software whether its Powerchip, ESS, Evolve, Dinan, etc.. will pass smog as long as this function is left turned on. Stage II software normally has cat delete and they will fail the on-board test although they may past the tailpipe test.

If you have cats which are borderline CEL, you can squeeze by if you avoid prolonged drives on the freeway. This goes for tuned cars and stock cars.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #29
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Update: Full Akrapovic Evo system with ESS Akra tune passed Texas OBD II inspection with no issues. For Texas keep in mind that they don't require the emissions test until after the first two years it's on the road, so third year inspection, mine is a 2009 and required it for 2012.
      01-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #30
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

Louisiana........Evolve software, Gintani rear section, Challenge street midpipe with secondary cat delete.........FAIL readiness test. Tried 2 days in a row, driving about 80 miles in between, trying to go thru a couple of drive cycles. I suppose it's the software and i'll have to flash back to stock. Anyone with Evolve software have similar issues. Do they disable the O2 sensors???
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #31
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Louisiana........Evolve software, Gintani rear section, Challenge street midpipe with secondary cat delete.........FAIL readiness test. Tried 2 days in a row, driving about 80 miles in between, trying to go thru a couple of drive cycles. I suppose it's the software and i'll have to flash back to stock. Anyone with Evolve software have similar issues. Do they disable the O2 sensors???
Which part of the test did it fail?

Normally when the cat efficiency error is ignored in the ecu file, this prevents the readiness tests from leaving the "pending" or "not ready" states, which will cause an automatic fail in states that read the OBD monitors and require them to be ready.

There are some tricks to get around this but it's shaky territory in terms of federal emissions standards.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #32
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Which part of the test did it fail?

Normally when the cat efficiency error is ignored in the ecu file, this prevents the readiness tests from leaving the "pending" or "not ready" states, which will cause an automatic fail in states that read the OBD monitors and require them to be ready.

There are some tricks to get around this but it's shaky territory in terms of federal emissions standards.

It says Catalyst "not ready", O2 sensor "not ready", Heated Cat. "not supported"
Readiness results: Not ready

No codes were found, but i'm not sure the software is just not "masking" them???
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #33
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
It says Catalyst "not ready", O2 sensor "not ready", Heated Cat. "not supported"
Readiness results: Not ready

No codes were found, but i'm not sure the software is just not "masking" them???
Not in this case...

The software would be masking codes if you had stored codes but the CEL wasn't illuminated. Since you have cat delete in your file to prevent the cat efficiency codes, other faults will be thrown if something arises, but cat efficiency will not set a fault because the input from the rear o2 sensors is ignored. This will cause the readiness routines not to finish, which will leave them in a not ready or pending state.

In this situation, I suggest to flash back to stock or have evolve make you a tuned file with the o2 settings stock. Then you will have to decide whether the hardware configuration will pass the catalyst efficiency checks. Sometimes there is a small window you can squeeze by if your exhaust setup is borderline emissions wise. It will take a few drive cycles to for the car to complete the readiness routines after the oxygen sensors are returned to default settings.

Keep in mind that when you are trying to get the car to pass readiness, you don't want to exceed 3000 RPM, have heavy throttle fluctuations, etc.. Easy city driving and freeway driving, keeping it at consistent RPM's. You will also need a few drive cycles as well. (this doesnt apply in your case since the monitors are not ready - it will never set readiness).

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #34
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not in this case...

The software would be masking codes if you had stored codes but the CEL wasn't illuminated. Since you have cat delete in your file to prevent the cat efficiency codes, other faults will be thrown if something arises, but cat efficiency will not set a fault because the input from the rear o2 sensors is ignored. This will cause the readiness routines not to finish, which will leave them in a not ready or pending state.

In this situation, I suggest to flash back to stock or have evolve make you a tuned file with the o2 settings stock. Then you will have to decide whether the hardware configuration will pass the catalyst efficiency checks. Sometimes there is a small window you can squeeze by if your exhaust setup is borderline emissions wise. It will take a few drive cycles to for the car to complete the readiness routines after the oxygen sensors are returned to default settings.

Keep in mind that when you are trying to get the car to pass readiness, you don't want to exceed 3000 RPM, have heavy throttle fluctuations, etc.. Easy city driving and freeway driving, keeping it at consistent RPM's. You will also need a few drive cycles as well. (this doesnt apply in your case since the monitors are not ready - it will never set readiness).

I tried to flash back to stock, but when i tried to run the software, it says"your beta version has expired"......not sure what that is all about. I've only had the software for about 4.5 months. Things like this always happen around the weekend when nobody is available to help........thanks for your input Mike, i appreciate it!! Surprised i hadn't heard of more people going thru this, but i guess most states don't test for this........i did a search and couldn't find anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #35
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I tried to flash back to stock, but when i tried to run the software, it says"your beta version has expired"......not sure what that is all about. I've only had the software for about 4.5 months. Things like this always happen around the weekend when nobody is available to help........thanks for your input Mike, i appreciate it!! Surprised i hadn't heard of more people going thru this, but i guess most states don't test for this........i did a search and couldn't find anything.
Shoot me an email and I'll provide you with a non-expired tool to flash it with.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #36
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Shoot me an email and I'll provide you with a non-expired tool to flash it with.

email sent, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #37
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
email sent, thanks.
Replied, let me know if all is good.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #38
540gone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 3.5, '14 640 GC

What I don't understand from the OP is there is no mention of whether he ordered his Evolve tune with the "CEL turned off" option selected or not? With the Challenge street pipe with secondary cat delete, the OE primary cats remain in place and the O2 sensors should operate just fine with no need for that tune option in the first place.

If that is the case, sounds like the issue might be somewhere else - like a bad O2 sensor. If his tune has that option, he should (as Mike suggests) simply ask Evolve for the tune with the CEL delete option not in place.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why it's so critical to get it done on the weekend, it's just an inspection, and there was no mention of the car not running just fine.

I'll be interested so hear the resolution.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #39
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540gone View Post
What I don't understand from the OP is there is no mention of whether he ordered his Evolve tune with the "CEL turned off" option selected or not? With the Challenge street pipe with secondary cat delete, the OE primary cats remain in place and the O2 sensors should operate just fine with no need for that tune option in the first place.

If that is the case, sounds like the issue might be somewhere else - like a bad O2 sensor. If his tune has that option, he should (as Mike suggests) simply ask Evolve for the tune with the CEL delete option not in place.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why it's so critical to get it done on the weekend, it's just an inspection, and there was no mention of the car not running just fine.

Very good point. With the primary cats in place, the CEL is likely to be some other fault other than cat efficiency.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #40
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540gone View Post

UPDATE: When i ordered my tune i didn't "order" it with the "cel turned off", i just stated that i had a Challenge street pipe, with the primary cats still in place........evidentally this gets you the Stage 2 tune with the O2 sensors "off". I got a new tune from Sal/Paul this morning, with them (cats/O2) untouched and just installed it. Everything went well and i didn't get a cel(yet). Still don't know if it's ready to pass inspection. After a few drive cycles, i'll go try again in the next day or two. And i know it's just an inspection, but when things arise like this i get a bit ancy and want them resolved asap You only have 30 days to get it resolved and i didn't know how in depth this would go(software removal, exhaust removal, dealer visit, etc.) I'll update again, when i pass
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #41
pablo e92
Private
Rep
Drives: 13 335i MSport, 18 Corvette GS

In Texas:
For vehicles year model 2001 and newer, we allow one (1) non-continuous monitor to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but two (2) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.

For vehicles year model 1996 – 2000, we allow two (2) non-continuous monitors to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but three (3) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #42
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
UPDATE: When i ordered my tune i didn't "order" it with the "cel turned off", i just stated that i had a Challenge street pipe, with the primary cats still in place........evidentally this gets you the Stage 2 tune with the O2 sensors "off". I got a new tune from Sal/Paul this morning, with them (cats/O2) untouched and just installed it. Everything went well and i didn't get a cel(yet). Still don't know if it's ready to pass inspection. After a few drive cycles, i'll go try again in the next day or two. And i know it's just an inspection, but when things arise like this i get a bit ancy and want them resolved asap You only have 30 days to get it resolved and i didn't know how in depth this would go(software removal, exhaust removal, dealer visit, etc.) I'll update again, when i pass
I think you identified the problem and will be fine now that the rear 02 are turned back on. Since you retained the primary cats, there is no need to turn off the rear 02.

This is an important decision to make when ordering a tune. I bought a catless, resonatorless x-pipe, tried it for 3 days and decided it did not match the intended purpose of the car as a daily driver that my wife would ride in. She refused to get in the car the 2nd day. I put the stock one back in and just finished adding 4 resonators to the other x-pipe like Dinan and Borla use. I am going to try this for a while and see how I like the gassy smell. While a tune might help with the smell, I don't think it would yield a dramatic improvement. Plus I want to be able to pass OBD2 plug in and most of the tunes for catless will fail OBD2 readiness. I think I will end up adding 2 high flow cats. Once I know for sure, I will be able to oder the tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #43
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, i did pass with this new tune
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #44
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

no modified M3s in Denver have chimed in yet? I am stock so I cant speak to it.
Appreciate 0