BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

RPI axle back

So yesterday I swapped my Remus Race for an RPI exhaust. The whole reason I wanted to do this was because the Remus tips stick out too far on the E90. Unfortunately, it looks like there was a problem when getting my RPI exhaust and it appears I mistakenly received their E92 system rather than an E90. It's not a big deal, and the guys at Renn Spec already said they'll take care of it. But here's the thing - it looks to me like if I want to do a diffuser, which I do, then maybe I should stick with the E92 length tips. They stick out a lot less than the Remus tips, and if I go to the RPI E90 system I'm concerned the tips will be too short and could burn the diffuser.

Somerthing I've noticed is that because the bottom of the E90 bumper is rounded off and the E92 is more squared off, pretty much -any- exhaust on the E90, other than stock, looks like it sticks out a bit. The only one I've seen that's fully tucked is the Riss system.

Do these stick out too much, though? Keep in mind the diffuser will add about 1/2" of extra lenth on the top and as much as an inch on the sides.

By the way the RPI exhaust sounds great, it's very similar to the Remus, except it's slightly deeper at idle and slightly quieter under full throttle.

11-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Hmmm....even with a rear diffuser installed, the tips may be sticking out too much. I knew I was getting a diffuser so a exhaust with adjustable tips was an absolute must for me.

Go here to see close-up pics of my JL-Motoring diffuser. You can see an approximate length that the diffuser extends the rear bumper.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...oring+diffuser
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
You really think the Remus and RPi sound similar? Which one sounds more exotic?

Honestly I think if you add a diffuser it'll look almost perfect. It will show the RPi engraving all the time, but the thing is that's the length you want when the exhaust is fully heated up. So actually when it heats up it will look a bit funny, even with a diffuser on. Try pushing in the exhaust another CM if you can?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

They sound similar to me. The Remus probably sounds a little more exotic-ish, because it has a slightly higher pitched mid range. But it's splitting hairs. The Remus with an offroad x-pipe sounds pretty amazing, but way too loud for me.

I am probably going to not bother changing to the E90 version since I want a diffuser. Now if only the E90 challenge diffuser would hurry up and be released.
      11-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
r_seng
End Game
United_States
Rep
Drives: Devil's Chariot

Holy triple post JJ!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Holy crazy internet, fixed

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
They sound similar to me. The Remus probably sounds a little more exotic-ish, because it has a slightly higher pitched mid range. But it's splitting hairs. The Remus with an offroad x-pipe sounds pretty amazing, but way too loud for me.

I am probably going to not bother changing to the E90 version since I want a diffuser. Now if only the E90 challenge diffuser would hurry up and be released.
How you think the Remus Sport would be with an xpipe?

Appreciate 0