BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #67
Johal E32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 M5, 98 M3, 08 M3

Garage List
1991 BMW M5  [0.00]
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
FYI - I called Carbahn earlier today about the vanos covers, as of right now it is around a 4-6 week lead time. The washers $40ea and it will be $160 for the entire set.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #68
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
I thought the same as well, I imagine weight savings was the driver. I also was a bit sketched out replacing lightweight plastic with metal covers. Wouldn't that increase strain on the timing gear assemblies rotating the extra mass?

Edit: The only saving grace is that DINAN uses these on every engine they build because they claim these covers always crack. They know much, much, much more than I.
Good point about the significant weight adder using a steel plate. Obviously Dinan know their stuff but I'd still prefer plastic if that will be an option, we just have to see.
Where did you read their claim that the caps "always broke"?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #69
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
FYI - I called Carbahn earlier today about the vanos covers, as of right now it is around a 4-6 week lead time. The washers $40ea and it will be $160 for the entire set.
I added myself to the ljst. Will be a fun winter project.
      09-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #70
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:
I thought the same as well, I imagine weight savings was the driver. I also was a bit sketched out replacing lightweight plastic with metal covers. Wouldn't that increase strain on the timing gear assemblies rotating the extra mass?

Edit: The only saving grace is that DINAN uses these on every engine they build because they claim these covers always crack. They know much, much, much more than I.
Good point about the significant weight adder using a steel plate. Obviously Dinan know their stuff but I'd still prefer plastic if that will be an option, we just have to see.
That's what they told OP when he initially reached out to them last month via phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:10 PM   #71
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
If you're concerned about weight, make them out of plastic with a 3D printer.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 06:45 PM   #72
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

You can probably make that washer out of anything reasonably stiff and tough. The original plastic covers are thin and weak anyway, anything stiffer would be better than stock. One good reason for using steel would be never having to worry about it getting brittle over time, and breaking and clogging oil lines.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #73
Etansinsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Melbourne E90

Forgot to check this thread for awhile.

Sad to see there are other people with the same issue.

I’ve been running these for nearly 5k now and no issues. Everything is super smooth and I have no complaints.

One thing I did notice is that the oil cap started to leak significantly after taking it on and off every time I drove the car.

Sanded the lip and flipped the rubber gasket over on the oil cap and all is good now.

For anyone worried, phone up dinan and see what they have to say
Appreciate 2
jvictormp881.00
Ajolives922.00
      10-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #74
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etansinsta View Post
Forgot to check this thread for awhile.

Sad to see there are other people with the same issue.

I’ve been running these for nearly 5k now and no issues. Everything is super smooth and I have no complaints.

One thing I did notice is that the oil cap started to leak significantly after taking it on and off every time I drove the car.

Sanded the lip and flipped the rubber gasket over on the oil cap and all is good now.

For anyone worried, phone up dinan and see what they have to say
Thanks for update mate, and even more for the initial thread. What a chocker to conclude that MY super pearl suffered from this! You know how it is, "that will never happen to me"....well it did.

No worries, the car is still in brilliant shape and thanks to your thread I'll make sure she's stays that way. Lets see what the correcting action will be.

Cheers
Nik

Edit: btw, did you sort all four vanos out in the end?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #75
Etansinsta
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for update mate, and even more for the initial thread. What a chocker to conclude that MY super pearl suffered from this! You know how it is, "that will never happen to me"....well it did.

No worries, the car is still in brilliant shape and thanks to your thread I'll make sure she's stays that way. Lets see what the correcting action will be.

Cheers
Nik

Edit: btw, did you sort all four vanos out in the end?
No worries at all. I’ve been helped so many times on the forums so I’m happy to give back a bit with a more budget solution.

My local dealer quoted $8,700 for all the work with the new gears initially so I wasn’t too thrilled to just say go ahead.

And yes, I replaced all 4 covers with the metal covers. It’s worth it for the piece of mind. Especially for around 1400$ usd all in parts included.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #76
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
No worries at all. I’ve been helped so many times on the forums so I’m happy to give back a bit with a more budget solution.

My local dealer quoted $8,700 for all the work with the new gears initially so I wasn’t too thrilled to just say go ahead.

And yes, I replaced all 4 covers with the metal covers. It’s worth it for the piece of mind. Especially for around 1400$ usd all in parts included.
Bloody hell, one get a good used car for 8700 (maybe not an M3 but still). 1400 on the other hand is imo cheap. I recon I'll end up somewhere in between, probably on the higher half. But them again I've driven this car for 8 years without any significant issues or cost so fair enought. (while obviously did RBs, TAs and bunch of maintenance by "free will").

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 07:19 PM   #77
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

If possible, does it make sense to make these washers out of titanium Ti-6Al-4V (TC4 Gr5)? If possible. Any galvanic corrosion to be concerned about?

Last edited by Redd; 10-01-2021 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ajolives922.00
      10-01-2021, 08:18 PM   #78
Etansinsta
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Bloody hell, one get a good used car for 8700 (maybe not an M3 but still). 1400 on the other hand is imo cheap. I recon I'll end up somewhere in between, probably on the higher half. But them again I've driven this car for 8 years without any significant issues or cost so fair enought. (while obviously did RBs, TAs and bunch of maintenance by "free will").

Cheers
Each gear is 1350$ CAD from the dealer so that is the majority of the cost after 12% tax
Appreciate 1
Ajolives922.00
      10-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #79
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It went horribly to be honest. They're still broke and in the car; just ordered a set of Carbahn washers ready for round II.

Long story short I tried going the cheap route (without knowledge of the washers) and sourced used units with the help of OP. They seemed trustworthy but at the end of the day i couldn't throw them in my car in fear of them being no better than what i already have. The shop would remove the covers to check out the condition of the spring and then reinstall. This made them a tad bit flimsy, (i could rotate the cover on the unit ever so slightly) while my cracked ones seemed tighter believe it or not (weren't rotating much if not at all). The caps have 5 contact points each and all of mine were engaged. I did replace Bank 1's exhaust cover with one of the used units because I accidentally cracked it more by being an idiot.

I buttoned everything back up, replaced Bank 2's valve cover; all the hardware and gaskets too. I'm assuming i dont have to replace everything again seeing its been a short time since. Still have the timing tools which you do in fact need to replace the center bolt while not losing timing, or so I've been told.

My uneducated opinion is that these have been cracked for a long time and i guarantee theres many more out there to be discovered. I didnt know my exhaust cover was broke two weeks after finding out the inlet was broke - it all depends on where the camshafts end up when the ignition is turned off. I would check every time after i drive and would have to start/stop a couple times to get the proper rotation to check the cracks because theyd be at 6 oclock or wherever you couldnt see. And I doubt people are checking their oil caps to look anyways. End of the day, i see this as yet another ticking time bomb for our beloved cars...If theyre cracked its not the end of the world but you are on borrowed time.
Went out and checked, all as expected looked great. Checked again after arriving to the office just to find....wtf..
Had the car for almost 8 years never checked before so god knows when this occured. Car have had an extremely comfortable life with over the top maintenance, warm up and rarely red line (live down town + old git). Ah well, will continue drive daily and contact a ///M indy to see what they say. Simply can't understand how that light pice of plastic can move!

Edit: And btw looks like to lower cover also have come lose.
I feel ya dude. That's exactly how I felt when I found out. Like wtf, what are the odds.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #80
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Each gear is 1350$ CAD from the dealer so that is the majority of the cost after 12% tax
Got it. Btw, looking at your pictures with the Dinan washer I can't seem to figure out how it is mounted. Doesn't seem to be the center nut that is torqued over it..?

Same thing with the OEM cap, I see the plastic tabs the is suppose to keep it from rotade (not doing a very good job...), but where are the tabs the keep it attached to the metal?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #81
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
Jesus. A used engine is not much more…

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #82
Etansinsta
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Btw, looking at your pictures with the Dinan washer I can't seem to figure out how it is mounted. Doesn't seem to be the center nut that is torqued over it..?

Same thing with the OEM cap, I see the plastic tabs the is suppose to keep it from rotade (not doing a very good job...), but where are the tabs the keep it attached to the metal?

Thanks
The carbahn covers are held on only with the vanos gear bolt. We did modify the timing cover slightly to provide additional clearance for the vanos bolt as the new metal cover pushes the head of the bolt back 3mm
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #83
Audioslave686
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90/X4 F26

I have the same issue with the cracked covers.
I noticed that during the valve cover gaskets replacement.
I think I found a decent solution and the parts are coming my way. I'll post an update once I get them.
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2021, 02:37 AM   #84
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
The carbahn covers are held on only with the vanos gear bolt. We did modify the timing cover slightly to provide additional clearance for the vanos bolt as the new metal cover pushes the head of the bolt back 3mm
Good input, thanks. Strange the washer didn't fit straight way or by Carbahn suggested part of the buy?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 02:38 AM   #85
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioslave686 View Post
I have the same issue with the cracked covers.
I noticed that during the valve cover gaskets replacement.
I think I found a decent solution and the parts are conking my way. I post an update once I get them.
Also very interesting, looking forward to your update.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #86
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

what's involved in replacing the plastic cover with Carbahn part?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #87
Audioslave686
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90/X4 F26

Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
You will need the engine timing tool to remove the vanos bolts and retime the engine after the new vanos covers installed.
Not an easy DIY…
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #88
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioslave686 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
You will need the engine timing tool to remove the vanos bolts and retime the engine after the new vanos covers installed.
Not an easy DIY…
doesn't sound like it!!!
Appreciate 0