BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

08-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
wormsbaby
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Question New to this forum. Looking for car wash advice.

Hey guys,

Just took delivery of a Jerez Black M3 Convertible 2 weeks ago. I'd like to wash my car this weekend as I have a few days off. I lived in Manhattan for the last 7 years and didn't have a car so it's nice to be back in the driving scene.

I don't plan on waxing my car. I will get it professionally detailed whenever I feel it is necessary. I had an E36 and I used Zymol shampoo but I really don't remember what other products I used.

I was hoping someone could recommend a car washing kit that will include everything I need (shampoo, conditioner, mitt, cleaning towel, tire shine, wheel cleaner, etc.). I'm guessing that might be too much to hope for so if you could just give me some suggestions on which products to use I'd really appreciate it. Is Zymol still highly regarded? Is there anything I should look out for when getting a mitt? Are microfiber towels the best way to dry the car? Is there any reason not to use rain-x or is there a better product?

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90

Here's a recent thread that has great info by some pros (not me) on the forum here. Good luck.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388592
      08-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
wormsbaby
Rep

Thanks. That definitely helped me out.

Still not sure which shampoo to go with. Also, for drying the car are MF towels all that I need (can I use those to dry the paint + wheels + windows?)?

And would you recommend Rain-X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprane View Post
Here's a recent thread that has great info by some pros (not me) on the forum here. Good luck.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388592
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormsbaby View Post
Thanks. That definitely helped me out.

Still not sure which shampoo to go with. Also, for drying the car are MF towels all that I need (can I use those to dry the paint + wheels + windows?)?

And would you recommend Rain-X?
Get something that is PH neutral, I usually use Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo. As far as washing Mitts go I have a bunch of them but usually end up using my Yeti's Fist for the paint and a cheap old mitt for the wheels. (I use two buckets one with soap and the other a rinse bucket with a grit guard) To take most of the water off the paint I usually take the hose nozzle off and run water all over the car starting on the roof which collects most of the water left behind, then I take a leaf blower (or compressed air if you have a compressor) and blow out it off, then take some micro fiber towels and BLOT the remaining wet areas. I also have a set of towels that only touch paint and only wheels so I never cross contaminate. If you have a couple of days I'd throw a few coats of wax down, Pinnacle Souverän should look pretty amazing on JB. Id also invest in a foam gun or cannon

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
wormsbaby
Rep

Thanks. Really appreciate the info. Any thoughts on Rain-X? Basically just want to make sure there are no downsides to using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Get something that is PH neutral, I usually use Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo. As far as washing Mitts go I have a bunch of them but usually end up using my Yeti's Fist for the paint and a cheap old mitt for the wheels. (I use two buckets one with soap and the other a rinse bucket with a grit guard) To take most of the water off the paint I usually take the hose nozzle off and run water all over the car starting on the roof which collects most of the water left behind, then I take a leaf blower (or compressed air if you have a compressor) and blow out it off, then take some micro fiber towels and BLOT the remaining wet areas. I also have a set of towels that only touch paint and only wheels so I never cross contaminate. If you have a couple of days I'd throw a few coats of wax down, Pinnacle Souverän should look pretty amazing on JB. Id also invest in a foam gun or cannon
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
BCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Thanks. Really appreciate the info. Any thoughts on Rain-X? Basically just want to make sure there are no downsides to using it.
I love Rain-X and think it's an absolute must for any car. I just put a fresh coat on my windshield yesterday. I had a wiper chatter issue once with it but that's not a recurring thing. I try not to use my wipers anyway...as long as you're going ~40mph+ you don't need them much.

There's another similar product I heard mentioned on this forum recently (can't recall the name...Aquapel I think) but I researched it and see no reason to try anything other than the tried and true Rain-X I've been using for 15+ years.

It will leave a smeary look to your window after application no matter how well you remove it but not to worry...the first time the window gets wet it'll be totally gone.

Past BMWs: 2015 M3, 2014 550i, 2013 M3 ZCP, 2012 535i, 2011 E90 335i, 2009 E90 M3, 2008 X5, 2006 330i, 2004 330i
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
ocgasman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just took delivery of a Jerez Black M3 Convertible 2 weeks ago. I'd like to wash my car this weekend as I have a few days off. I lived in Manhattan for the last 7 years and didn't have a car so it's nice to be back in the driving scene.

I don't plan on waxing my car. I will get it professionally detailed whenever I feel it is necessary. I had an E36 and I used Zymol shampoo but I really don't remember what other products I used.

I was hoping someone could recommend a car washing kit that will include everything I need (shampoo, conditioner, mitt, cleaning towel, tire shine, wheel cleaner, etc.). I'm guessing that might be too much to hope for so if you could just give me some suggestions on which products to use I'd really appreciate it. Is Zymol still highly regarded? Is there anything I should look out for when getting a mitt? Are microfiber towels the best way to dry the car? Is there any reason not to use rain-x or is there a better product?

Thanks a lot.
I hate washing my cars, but want them clean all the time. I never polish myself, I've got an awesome detailer that does that stuff. For maintenance in between details, I use optimum car care. Super user friendly and if the car isn't super dirty, optimum no rinse + quick detailer or spray wax is all that's needed for a gorgeous shine. The whole optimum line is great and their Opti-seal sealant couldn't be easier to apply. For wheels, I use chemical guys diablo, a little goes a long way. (I really hate cleaning the 19's, it's a pita getting in between the double spokes, I wish they offered the competition package for 2010's, but I digress). You don't need super expensive microfiber towels. I've used a bunch and the best bang for the buck was from towel pros.com. The owner will work with you for less than wholesale numbers. They're great towels. HTH and GL.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
wormsbaby
Rep

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Two more questions. What's the best way to quickly clean a small part of the paint? For example, I washed my car yesterday and then less than 2 hours later I noticed that a bird had pooped on the car. Are there wet-wipes that someone can suggest to quickly clean small areas like that?

Second question is about the hood. My car has less than 250 miles and I've only washed it once. Today I noticed some very light scratches on and around the hood scoop. I don't understand how that is possible. I try to keep a distance from the cars on front of me. Is there any chance the dealership did this when they first washed it? The scratches seem very light and superficial. They can only be seen if the sun is directly hitting that area of the car. Anything I can do about them other than getting the car professionally detailed?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
BCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the help, everyone.

Two more questions. What's the best way to quickly clean a small part of the paint? For example, I washed my car yesterday and then less than 2 hours later I noticed that a bird had pooped on the car. Are there wet-wipes that someone can suggest to quickly clean small areas like that?

Second question is about the hood. My car has less than 250 miles and I've only washed it once. Today I noticed some very light scratches on and around the hood scoop. I don't understand how that is possible. I try to keep a distance from the cars on front of me. Is there any chance the dealership did this when they first washed it? The scratches seem very light and superficial. They can only be seen if the sun is directly hitting that area of the car. Anything I can do about them other than getting the car professionally detailed?

Thanks!
For bird bombs and such, I keep a couple of plush microfiber towels, a small bottle of water, and a spray bottle of quick detailer (or something like Optimum No Rinse...awesome stuff) in the trunk. You need to get to bird bombs ASAP, preferably before they harden. If they do harden, make sure you use plenty of liquid to soften before trying to remove (and take your time, being careful not to grind the material into the paint and cause scratches). Inevitably, sometimes they etch the paint. If you see etching (a dull spot where the bomb was), LEAVE IT ALONE and do not put any type of wax/sealant on it for a few days. This is because the acids in the bird crap that cause the etching will often evaporate and the etching will be minimized or even disappear. I have literally had an etched bird bomb mark completely disappear before...I was amazed. If you put a sealant on right away, you are sealing in the acid. I have even read that you can apply moistened baking soda to the area in an attempt to neutralize any remaining acid with the baking soda (a base). I tried this only once...not worth the trouble and mess IMO. Anyway, you will inevitably have permanent etching from a bird bomb at some point and you will need to polish it out (you can read about that process elsewhere on this forum). It just happened to me 2 weeks ago...my roof got bombed and it had etched before I could get to it. I had to polish it out last weekend.

About your minor scratches on the hood...also somewhat of an inevitability, especially if the dealer prepped your car. I have a laminated "no wash" sign that goes in my windshield when I go to the dealer. No big deal really...you either need to accept it, polish them out yourself, or have someone else do it. And then learn proper washing techniques to prevent future damage. But most clearcoat scratches on cars occur during the washing/drying process so you should learn to accept them to some degree, especially if your car is a daily driver.

Hope that helps!

Past BMWs: 2015 M3, 2014 550i, 2013 M3 ZCP, 2012 535i, 2011 E90 335i, 2009 E90 M3, 2008 X5, 2006 330i, 2004 330i
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
wormsbaby
Rep

That helps a ton! Thanks, BCA.
Appreciate 0