BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

08-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
boynbeagle7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M3

scratches everywhere!

Does anyone else have this problem? I have random 3-4 cm linear scratches on the lower parts of my doors. They don't penetrate all the way through the clearcoat and do not look like key marks. My car is garaged and I don't know where they are coming from. I seem to accumulate a new one about every 3 months or so.

Could they be from road debris or rocks while driving?

My lower body panels have a clear bra and there is no scuffing along that.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
ImStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TL 04

pics?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

It could very easily be road debris. The front lower corner of my front doors feels almost as bad as the front of my rocker panels. I think it's retarded BMW didn't make a set of mudflaps that fit or change the shape of the fender liner to act like one to prevent the ridiculous amount of paint damage these cars get during normal driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
It could very easily be road debris. The front lower corner of my front doors feels almost as bad as the front of my rocker panels. I think it's retarded BMW didn't make a set of mudflaps that fit or change the shape of the fender liner to act like one to prevent the ridiculous amount of paint damage these cars get during normal driving.
No aftermarket solutions you know of right? Seems there should be a way to minimize this. Naturally if you go with wider wheels/rubber the problem just gets worse....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Other than clear bra I haven't found anything. Well, other than those chrome ones mini-truckers were so fond of in the late 80s and early 90s.
I know they were left off so they wouldn't compromise the airflow but how much time do we really spend at speeds where it matters? I'm almost to the point where I'm going to have to have the rockers, front doors, and rear bumper all repainted when I get stateside again. I'd do it here but it's WAY overpriced for paint and clearbra.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Hmm...looks like I should assess the damage now and consider respraying things or adding some Ventureshield to the rocker panels and rear bumper. I'm not sure about the doors...I'll have to look in the sunlight tomorrow. I'd hate to think I need to put a condom over almost the whole damn car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
boynbeagle7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Thanks for the reply. I think it might be road debris too. I wonder if the forum members with spacers could chime in too. I imagine that would make this problem even worse.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
boynbeagle7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I had those on my black Cayman S. Perfectly straight, and very faint, barely through the clear-coat. I never figured out why.... Take some photos if you get the chance.
Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about! I will get my Canon out tomorrow and take some pics. It is so annoying - at first, I thought I had some haters. But after the 2nd and 3rd I realized it might be a non-human event.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Premier Protective Films
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: one old Mcar

It can certainly be from road debris as we have seen this before. Best thing to do is to take it to a pro detailer and have them polish out the scratches. Then apply paint protection film on the lower portion of the doors.
Appreciate 0